Thread: vinyl floor replacement

Default vinyl floor replacement

I want to replace the vinyl on my floor boards of my 22 foot Boulton. I have searched “vinyl” and “Floor” on the forums and have found some good information. Is there anything I should know or be prepared for while doing this? I have taken the back two floor boards off before to get a fish out and they were not too heavy. I’m not planning on replacing the boards unless they are really bad. Any suggestions on how to cover the front two pieces since it they have a general curve the whole length.

The items I am prepared to have:
    Belt Sander
    Pliers
    Hammer
    Utility knife
    Stapler w/ Stainless steel staples
    Paint Roller
    Vinyl
    Contact Cement
    New Stainless Screws and Washers (as needed)

Add a heat gun into the mix of tools as well.
    It is needed to soften the vinyl in order to get a good fold over the edges and to help with the curves.
    Don't over heat it though.

Where is the best place to source vinyl in Alaska? I have a fish deck that needs some loving. Those boards weigh a ton these days and need replaced
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Where is the best place to source vinyl in Alaska? I have a fish deck that needs some loving. Those boards weigh a ton these days and need replaced
    Ben @ SilverStreak sells the marine vinyl & you could probably get it @ Fineline Interiors too. Alaska Steel sells diamond plate aluminum that works even better!
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    I want to replace the vinyl on my floor boards of my 22 foot Boulton. I have searched “vinyl” and “Floor” on the forums and have found some good information. Is there anything I should know or be prepared for while doing this? I have taken the back two floor boards off before to get a fish out and they were not too heavy. I’m not planning on replacing the boards unless they are really bad. Any suggestions on how to cover the front two pieces since it they have a general curve the whole length.

The items I am prepared to have:
    Belt Sander
    Pliers
    Hammer
    Utility knife
    Stapler w/ Stainless steel staples
    Paint Roller
    Vinyl
    Contact Cement
    New Stainless Screws and Washers (as needed)

I replaced all of the vinyl in my 21' Wooldridge 2 years ago and it was a lot easier than I anticipated. I removed the old vinyl in whole pieces so I could use them as a template. I cleaned the boards and used spray adhesive on both parts. Stretched it over and stapled the crap out of it on the back (I did do a corner cut and lap to make it fit neater). No heat, sanding, or anything else. It looks as good as factory and so far I haven't had any problems with it. I got the vinyl from the Boat Shop in Fairbanks, it is the same stuff the Wooldridge factory uses. I don't remember how much it was exactly but I believe it was under $200 to do the whole thing.

I hope you used stainless staples otherwise they will rust out in a couple of years or sooner.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Thanks for the replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoops, double post and it won't give me a delete option.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    I hope you used stainless staples otherwise they will rust out in a couple of years or sooner.

I didn't and they probably will, just like the original ones. If it's glued down properly the staples aren't even necessary, they pretty much keep everything in place until the glue cures. The vinyl I changed was the original from '84 and was still attached fine, just a couple worn spots and a big tear.

If I ever have to do it again I will look for the stainless ones though, thanks for the reminder.

Bass Pro has vinyl flooring and free shipping. Ive done two boat floors with them.