Thread: Is it time for black bear hunt?

Default Is it time for black bear hunt?

From the Homer Town Crier dated 1-23-14......
    On January 19th...."a caller at 1:19 am reported seeing a bear at the Bidarka Inn on the Sterling Highway."
    So now it's a week later of warm rainy weather and yet another warm week in the forecast. I think there must be a few bears out scratching their furry heads.
    Anyone gonna go give it a try?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    From the Homer Town Crier dated 1-23-14......
    On January 19th...."a caller at 1:19 am reported seeing a bear at the Bidarka Inn on the Sterling Highway."
    So now it's a week later of warm rainy weather and yet another warm week in the forecast. I think there must be a few bears out scratching their furry heads.

Took us a drive down hope way on Saturday. What a fine fine day it was. Virtually no snow in the pass. Lots of bare hillsides, had the rifle along just in case but didn't see nothin. Weather and stunning sunset made it well Worth the drive though

Release Lake Trout

The hills a killers now, I glass the hills about 3 or 4 times per day, and have NOT seen a bear on the hillsides, 4 caribou up behind the cabin on the very top. Seen that one solo black bear walking on the beach last Thursday. I "STRONGLY" suggest staying off the hillsides till we get some cold weather to tighten up the rotten snow, lots of snow slides on the other side of Six-mile Creek.

Roughly about the 10'th to 15'th of April........how ever this year could be very different.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I would tend to believe that most bears are pretty good den builders. As long as they don't start getting wet in their dens, regardless of how much snow there is, if they are warm and dry they will continue their slumber. There's still a lot of darkness as well. Of course there will always be those few bears that just have a hard time denning up, and will come out cold and hungry in the middle of winter....even WITH plenty of snow on the ground. Sometimes, for some reason or another, they just don't get enough food to build up enough body fat to sustain them through the winter. But to actually go out bear hunting right now I think would really be a shot in the dark. As always though........a guy can get lucky sometimes.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!