Thread: TMA bears??

Default TMA bears??

So I'm looking for a new area to go chase bears this fall in the berry patches. Usually I'm at Cooper Landing, had a great time there last Sept, spent 23 days there fishing and hunting. Didn't get my bear, saw lots, had some good stalks, but getting within recurve range on them critters is tuff. So after 2 falls spent there, I'm looking to move on. Unless I draw a TMA sheep tag, hunting bears would be my best shot at seeing/hunting that area. I'm looking to see some rocks and bigger moutinas than the rolling ones in Cooper Landing. I usually don't see much about walk in hunts there, but that would be the plan, me my puppy, a tent, packs on our backs and my bow. Lots of bears in that area on the berry patches in Sept I hope?

During my sheep hunt last August we only saw one grizzly. It appeared to be moving away from other sheep hunters in the next drainage. We saw sign from a black bear but never saw it. There were plenty of berries where we were at, and bears were one of our concerns during the sheep hunt.

For a walk in TMA you will want to look at the drainages from the Tok Cut off or the main highway. There are ATV trails that head south from the main highway and you will have no problem walking in on those, but with the non stop month of sheep hunting you may not find a bear anywhere near them. The Tok River and Clearwater creek will have a lot of people up there as well.

I sent you a PM

Pm sent...

Hey Abel. Just wanted to say hi. I have the same SN here as I did on Michigan Sportsman. Darrin told me to look you up. I can't send PM's through here yet, assuming its because I am too new. I'd love to do a bowhunt sometime if you are up for it.