Thread: Food Scent

Default Food Scent

If all of your food for a hunt is vacuum packed, would that reduce the scent of the food enough to not attract bears? How about vacuum packed and in a dry bag? Not that I would use it as a pillow, but to me it would seem it could significantly reduce the chance of a bear stealing it in the middle of the night.

That will really help, but the scent from cooking will still permeate the area. Personally, I don't usually worry too much about bears being drawn in by food scents, but it does happen from time to time. Given the fact that you have to cook, there's not much you can do about it. Vacuum packing your food should help, though.

Wink Hang it high!!!

If it were me i"de hang it high, they will find it! Never bet against an animals nose,you are asking for trouble.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    If it were me i"de hang it high, they will find it! Never bet against an animals nose,you are asking for trouble.
    Yup, "hang it high", but not so high that a Lonnng hunter can't get it.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Yup, "hang it high", but not so high that a Lonnng hunter can't get it.
    Smitty of the North
    Say!! at 3 ft 7, I can cover alot of ground fast! I can even sleep on my snow shoe! Why I can even hide among the tussoks!! Can you do that Smitty???
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    Say!! at 3 ft 7, I can cover alot of ground fast! I can even sleep on my snow shoe! Why I can even hide among the tussoks!! Can you do that Smitty???
    I reckon not.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I reckon not.
    Smitty of the North
    Just Kidding!!!

Default Camp cooking

One MAJOR mistake some make is to cook inside their tents. This is a disaster waiting to happen. Always cook outside, preferably a good distance from where you set your tent, so if in the relatively small chance a bear does come and get into your stuff, it won't be climbing into your tent with you right off. I always pack a tarp for a cover just for this purpose.

If a bear does come into camp, as I have had happen, you have a warning because they will be sniffing around your cook area, not your tent at first. Their noses are unbelievable. What you think is a cleaned up and scent free area is a smells heaven for them.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???