Thread: Trap vs dog story, Tanana River

Default Trap vs dog story, Tanana River

Went out to run my lab w/ a machine I've been working on. Headed out the Chena to the Tanana, crossed over to the south side, headed downriver to the lower end of the islands way across from Chena Pump Campground. I spotted what I thought was a black wolf 400 odd yards out heading upriver and into the island. Cool. No gun, but still, cool.
    I put Roca on the machine and we headed that way through powder and I realized not a wolf, but a dog trotting. Couple hundred yards out I realized it was carrying something, at 100 yards I recognized what it was.
    We got up on the same trail and followed it onto the island. Got close, and saw a small double spring conibear and it was around the upper jaw/nose. I pursued it until Roca and I were able to get close, and when it decided Roca was not going to hurt her, I was able to get her collar.
    The collar had a Kennel name and number, I called post haste, telling the woman that answered what was going on and to meet me at the campground. I was able to load her on my lap in a death grip, afraid she was going to bolt, but bless her scared self, she just laid there.
    Got to the campground and found some people. Told the man I needed help, he came over, saw the problem, and believe it or not he had bolt cutters in the truck. Another mushers truck was there so I found a rope to secure her with, and we were able to cut the coni off. Yes guys, I tried to open it, but moving the springs was hurting her. So yes, I cut it.
    The owners showed up pretty quick. They had loaned her to friends to use, and she escaped from them. She had been gone a week. I realized just how much it meant for them when the young lady started to cry. Some days you just don't know how a thing will turn out. The trap had caught her where the skin of the nose and hair meet, just where the skull ends, crushing it pretty good. The other jaw was behind her canines. I did not look in the mouth. At that point I had gotten away unscathed, no way was I going to push it.
    So if you are trapping on the Tanana, likely downriver from Chena Pump Campground, or in the Rosie Creek Hills, and you find a trap broken free with dog sign around it, now you know the story. Wish I did not have to cut that trap, but there was no way it came first here.
    Nobody gets to cast dispersion on either side here folks. The dogs owners most assuredly did not find fault. There was no way to know when she got caught, or how long she was hung up before breaking free. And I don't think in this case we get to blame an irresponsible dog owner. Simply, it seemed a good idea to share the story so the trapper might know what happened.
    For me, this reminds me if I trap close in, to check the traps often. I'd hate like heck to come across a dog frozen down. I love it when a story has a happy ending,
    ARR

Good for you for assisting the dog and locating the owner!

You might check this out: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...apping.sharing

Man talk about perfect timing! Its good to hear you happened to be there when she ran by and were able to get her out of the trap and back to her owners.

Glad to hear it worked out, not my trap (I'm on the Kenai) but I certainly wouldn't fault someone for cutting one of my traps off a domestic dog to save the dog.

Good on ya! Everybody should know how to open a coni should the need arise, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to cut a trap if I had bolt cutters at hand.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Right on ARR! Glad to hear a happy outcome. I wouldn't mind at all if was my trap about being cut. Was there any tie wire on the chain? I'm thinking if was a mink or marten set and a good sized dog got caught he would be able to break free of #14 tie wire pretty easy.

The first time I held her between my knees and tried to move the springs, I hurt her. Having the option of the bolt cutters made it so I did not have to fight with her, or cause her any more harm. Without them, I would have gotten them off, then told her I was sorry. I'm glad that man was there. Somebody try to tell me there is not somebody else watching? What were the odds, even in AK, that a man would have bolt cutters? Crazy!
    No wire on the chain, I'm betting martin set, and likely in a box of some sort.
    Years back I lost a lab that was being kept by a friend while I was out of town. Actually, both of my males ran off, only one came back to him. I searched for a year for that dog. Then a few years back my old man lab walked off when I failed to close the garage door tight. I searched for him all winter. I will go out of my way to try to make contact w/ strays to get them home safe and sound. I've been on that other side, and I do not like it a bit. If I can help the dog, and the family, and it causes me time and effort, so what? For me, it is not something I even have to think about.
    ARR

Fate works again,good job.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

We picked up a little dog about an hour and a half up the Snake River about 4 years ago. The only way to get there is Jet boat and we knew the little dog didn't belong there by himself. He was skinny and easily lured by a sandwich, which he ate the whole thing! When we got back in cell phone range that night we called the number on the tag, the fella that answered the phone couldn't believe it when we asked if he was missing a dog, the dog had fallen out of their boat two weeks earlier and they assumed it drowned, they went looking for it the whole weekend and never found it.

Once his wife heard what he was talking about she started screaming like a tea kettle. Took us an hour or so to get to their house, she was still crying when we got there. I was really happy to see two little excited kids, even the husband had tears, which inevitably led to me crying.

The guy shoved $100 at me and I was a poor college student at the time so I didn't argue, although their elation was certainly reward enough.

What a wonderful moment, like you, i'd gladly spend a day to do it again.

Really nice to hear this kind of story on the forum!

Well done Ak River Rat, funny how all of us that enjoy hunting and trapping so much are also so soft hearted...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I know the people whose dog this is and they were so happy to get her home safely. You did a great thing, there.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Great job Greg! Glad it all happened the way it did and the dog is back with its owners!

I did call the other night, and she called me back to report that the dog was doing well, no sign of infection, eating everything she could find, and barking at the teams. She is ready to run. It won't be long before she is back in harness doing what she loves to do.
    It'd be fun to go with them for a run, never know, I might show up on their door step.
    ARR