Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyvek Suits for Goat/Sheep hunting

Default Tyvek Suits for Goat/Sheep hunting

Who has tried it before? Did you think it was beneficial? Never have tried it myself, but I know there are people that do.

I never tried it, never thought it was beneficial, probably never will try it, I guess most bow hunters use it from time to time, but sitka gear and or Kuiu gear seems to work just as well from I seen.

Tons of the various different gear is white on the inside anyway. Toss a game bag on your head as another option. White base layers are available as well and we proved this year that sheep die just as fine if you hunt them in your long johns as they do if you wear the uber gear of the month.

I respect bow hunters for using any tool they feel helps them but I wouldn't add bulk and weight to my pack just to have something white.

I have used them with great success for both sheep and goats. In this photo there is a bedded ram that can be seen just to the left of the tag on my hat on that ridge, I watched him there for over an hour. To each their own, but I have killed enough sheep and been close to them to know they work.

This ram climbed up the steep side and caught us in the open.

I killed this goat using them, but I had taken mine off for the photos, my partner still had his on.

My wife and I killed her ram in tyveks but took them off after the shot.

Also are great for skinning to keep the blood off your clothes. I just burn them when done.

You get the idea....

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yep......I've used them too. I'm pretty sure at least one time it kept a ram from bolting when I'm sure he saw a flash of me move quickly between two boulders at REAL close range.

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Approached a ram from below, in the open, to within 250 and he never got out of his bed even though he had watched us for a half hour.

Perhaps one side effect of whites is that from a distance fellow hunters would be able to identify humans in close proximity to a group of sheep. We've all been there, sitting across a valley looking over a group of rams. If I saw other hunters in close proximity I would point my boots in another direction.
    As far as close proximity work, my style is to just conceal movements and work the wind. Sometimes that involves extended waits and I gear up to do just that.
    I do like Tyvek suits for skinning bears though. If I can shed a protective layer after all that dirty work, awesome!

I'm really starting to think sheep are color blind too, I've stalked sheep well into bow range before wearing solids, My pants are never camo, just the top at times. My wife wore a pink under armour top, and shot a ram at 68 yds, while another smaller ram just watched us. My buddy in WY shot his bighorn ram wearing a camo orange cabela's vest and hat from just over 100 yds. while the ram just stared him down, And from the pictures I've seen those legendary sheep hunters like O'conner wore Red flannel shirts and blue jeans. Another friend on here, shot a ram in a nice Pendleton Flannel shirt, which I thought was pretty cool, I figured "he was Dressed for Success !!!" Just my opinion, I think if I was bow hunting sheep, I'd wear some sitka or vias camo kuiu.

Like Bighorse says, conceal your movement and play the wind.
    Last edited by kahahawai; 01-27-2014 at 09:16. Reason: info.

So are any of you Tyvek guys soaking them in Black Tea like Tony Russ mentions in his book? Apparently the original white of Tyvek can spook sheep, but the darkened (tea dipped) Tyvek looks more realistic. Thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    So are any of you Tyvek guys soaking them in Black Tea like Tony Russ mentions in his book? Apparently the original white of Tyvek can spook sheep, but the darkened (tea dipped) Tyvek looks more realistic. Thoughts on this?
    I stain mine with old coffee grounds, I stuff a new suit into a 5 gallon bucket and dump a couple coffee filters of grounds with some coffee onto them. The tyvek tends to be waterproof, so I just pull them out and hang them and let them dry with the coffee on them and air out for a couple weeks before season.

If you look at the ones I'm wearing you can see they are not bright white.

Tyvek is just a tool, still can't skyline yourself and stuff like that, but a tool to let you sneak across an open area or for peaking around when you don't know where they are.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I noticed that yours looked a bit stained Stid, thanks for the information. Tony even had a mask and small horns made on one of his suits...pretty interesting stuff. I'll probably be using the Tyvek setup with the bow this year, simply because I'll want to be up close and personal with the longbow...within 40 yards tops I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Tyvek is just a tool, still can't skyline yourself and stuff like that, but a tool to let you sneak across an open area or for peaking around when you don't know where they are.
    That's exactly what happened with me.... I was in the final stages of the stalk, and like always I try to get as close as I can....I can't help it.

I was working just down below a ridge with boulders on it, and on the other side of it was a shallow draw and the ram was at the top of that. I knew I was getting close but didn't know exactly where the ram was and didn't want to peak my head around or over any of the rocks in fear that he'd see me. As I was working down I started to run out of rocks to hide behind. I came to a point where there was a gap between two boulders that I needed to get past. As I quickly moved across the opening my peripheral vision picked up a flash of white and I realized he was right there. I stopped behind the other rock and waited to hear sounds of movement thinking I was busted and he would bolt, but I heard nothing. He was facing towards me, but either he didn't see me move through the gap, or if he did all he saw (like I did) was a flash of white and it didn't spook him. I ended up shooting that ram, bedded, looking right at me, at about 30 yards.

Btw.....I killed the big ram in my avatar without wearing whites, but I snuck up behind him and he never knew I was there.......

Oh.....and I never have pre-stained my whites....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I​ think if I had stalked up behind a sheep as nice as that, I might have stained my whites....

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I​ think if I had stalked up behind a sheep as nice as that, I might have stained my whites....
    Cut some weight, free ball!

*this sheep hunting tip is brought to you by magpie*

I've carried the paint suit but have only put it on for an unexpected overnight, thinking it might add 'insulation' to my see-through tinfoil bag. The uncontrollable shaking leads me to believe it was not too effective. Not planning on follow up control studies.

I'll probably continue to carry one because the scenarios described above sound realistic to me, and should I find myself where I need to deceive a ram I don't want to be kicking myself. If the whiskey can make it to the top....so can the tyvek. That's what I decided, anyway.

It also turns out that one-size-doesn't-fit-all: I recommend trying one on before its go-time. I remember thinking, in the shivering darkness, that it was a good thing there wasn't a ram on the line. Talk about 'tighty whities', I had a better chance of a ram laughing himself to death than being sneaky in that suit!

In order to find one that fits me it takes as much room in the pack as my tent and sleeping bag combined.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    In order to find one that fits me it takes as much room in the pack as my tent and sleeping bag combined.

Not all of us are built like the Jolly Green Giant either.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yep......I've used them too. I'm pretty sure at least one time it kept a ram from bolting when I'm sure he saw a flash of me move quickly between two boulders at REAL close range.

Straight up Dale Earnhardt impersonator!!! RIP #3.

I'd rather hang with 4mer anytime.

I took some with me last year for a handgun hunt along with knee pads. Didn't use them. Got to 277yds and then the terrain was open. Always figured they'd be good going from rock to rock but since there weren't any to crawl around in/behind I let my partner shoot the ram with his 270. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Looking back I wish I'd tried crawling a couple hundred yds. Heck, that's what their for right! Might of got a shot with the 45 Colt.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast