Thread: Finally some action

Default Finally some action

With the recent warm weather, it became impossible to get to my traps up on the hill out here in 14A. Since I mainly target lynx, and I wasn't gonna have any other time before season closes at the end of the month, I decided to make the long, sad hike in yesterday and pull all of my sets. To my pleasant surprise, at the end of my three mile hike, caught in my very last trap was a beautiful female lynx! Totally caught me by surprise, because like most, I've been having a hard time this season. I must say, I'm feeling pretty lucky considering some of the catch reports I've heard this year. Anyways, here's a couple pics, and good luck to everyone!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2Lynx2014.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	76497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1Lynx2014.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	76496
    Ryan from Wasilla

Awesome! I never even tried to set my lynx snares this year! Maybe next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice catch! How do you dispatch your Lynx? .22?

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    With the recent warm weather, it became impossible to get to my traps up on the hill out here in 14A. Since I mainly target lynx, and I wasn't gonna have any other time before season closes at the end of the month, I decided to make the long, sad hike in yesterday and pull all of my sets. To my pleasant surprise, at the end of my three mile hike, caught in my very last trap was a beautiful female lynx! Totally caught me by surprise, because like most, I've been having a hard time this season. I must say, I'm feeling pretty lucky considering some of the catch reports I've heard this year. Anyways, here's a couple pics, and good luck to everyone!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2Lynx2014.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	76497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1Lynx2014.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	76496
    Nice job. I like that second picture of the lynx in the trap.

Thank you guys! This was my third lynx, and my second one in a foot hold. I dispatched one last year with a .17, which worked perfectly. This time, I sadly had just about nothing on me. No pistol, no snares... Had to thump it on the head, but I was amazed at how instant the result was.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Nice way to wrap it up! We have to run our traps here in IL at least once every 24 hrs - is there a time limit in AK?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Nice way to wrap it up! We have to run our traps here in IL at least once every 24 hrs - is there a time limit in AK?
    No time limit. I usually check mine every 3 days or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    No time limit. I usually check mine every 3 days or so.
    I think after 36hrs I would have many pull outs of legholds around here.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I think after 36hrs I would have many pull outs of legholds around here.
    All of my sets (marten) are leanpole hanging sets. Once trapped the marten hang off the tree and cant really get any leverage to pull out. There's no way they're pulling out of my coil-springs!

Nice cat still looking for my first.

There is no trap check time in Alaska, might be something in one small part of SE around Juneau.
    Lynx skulls are worth 10-20 bucks green. More if you clean them up. I know that ain't alot of money, but it's something. Carry a snare with you always. You can wire to any handy stick and it will dispatch your lynx quickyl, humanely, and with no damage to any part of the animal.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!