Thread: Freeze dry taxidermy on the Kenai

Default Freeze dry taxidermy on the Kenai

I thought I recall hearing someone on the peninsula was freeze drying small mammals, I got a small weasel with no trap damage that I'd like to have done, anyone have a contact?

That's interesting...........never heard of such a thing. Can you elaborate? Are people doing this now?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yes it's quite common on small mammals, don't know the exact process. The only thing I've seem in person was a porcupine at Alpine Creek Lodge that had been freeze dried, very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is Rich Dykema in Soldotna. He did Bob's porcupine, and he did a really great job on it! He has his own freeze dryer and he sent me some pic's of numerous animals in the dryer hanging there. I think the name if his business is Alaska Fowl Play and his email is Richdykema@gmail.com. Found his webpage here: http://www.bird-taxidermy.com/index.html

I know the porcupine was in the upper end for size that they could run through one of these machines. Rich specializes in birds, but I know he does most anything you bring him.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    It is Rich Dykema in Soldotna. He did Bob's porcupine, and he did a really great job on it! He has his own freeze dryer and he sent me some pic's of numerous animals in the dryer hanging there. I think the name if his business is Alaska Fowl Play and his email is Richdykema@gmail.com. Found his webpage here: http://www.bird-taxidermy.com/index.html

I know the porcupine was in the upper end for size that they could run through one of these machines. Rich specializes in birds, but I know he does most anything you bring him.
    Thanks, don't know why it didn't occur to me to just PM you on here, it was late at night I guess! I'll give him a call tomorrow cause I have a Black Brandt I need done too!

Thanks again!

No problem! I couldn't' remember the guys name when you were here, and I have some things I'm thinking of sending him also. My next good ermine I want to get done.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com