Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Long Lake updates

Default Any Long Lake updates

Headed out to Long in the morning with a friend and our wives plus his little girl. Just wondering if anybody hit it today and could give a condition report, ice depth, snow cover, yadda yadda. None of us have fished it but it's a pretty drive and hopefully tommorow will be half as beautiful as today. If the fish bite it will be a bonus.

Thanks gang

Talked to a guy that was there last night, 3+ ft of ice, don't know about the overflow/snow though. I was there last weekend and there was quite a bit of snow, no water.

I love hooking.

The Glenn between Palmer and Glennallen has been in very bad condition. DOT has been advising not to travel and recommending chains for those who do. Looks like it was just downgraded from extremely difficult to difficult this afternoon. So be very careful on your drive out.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

You have no worries with road conditions. Just watch out for the valley crackheads driving. The ice is about 30in and should have no problem getting on the lake if you have four wheel drive. A little sketchy in a 20 yard area but stock trucks with no lift have made it back and forth. Fish either by the rock to the left or the point at the north end of the lake on the right. Remember you can have up to 5 set lines out for burbot(four if you jig with one line). Read pages 4 and 22 for clarification in the regs though. Good luck!!

Thanks fellas, hope we have a good day out there. I'll be sure to report back upon our return, hopefully with stories of tight lines and screaming drags!

Pretty sure I was fishing next to the kid today. We caught 5 dollies all about 16" and we saw a big one when we first got there but he would not bite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any water over the ice?

I love hooking.

I was there Friday night and Saturday. Just a little water enough to make it annoying. But didn't prevent driving on it. I was only on the south side near that big rock.

Just drive in the ruts and it's good

If you were next to us you would definitely know it, we had the cackling hen party going on in one of our popups, our wives get along REALLY well and didn't shut up the whole trip. The ice was good, thick, clear, with minimal overflow and the weather was great. We didn't catch a thing all day, saw a few trout or char cruise by, seemingly uninterested in our offerings, and a half dozen value sized suckerfish, one of them must have been 10-12#. Had a good trip overall, maybe next time we can catch a fish but we still enjoyed our day and the drive.

Yep we were in the blue chevy to the north of you right next to the rock

Just got back from long... No overflow at all and minimal snow. Made for very nice conditions and easy to drive on.

I love hooking.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by cptmorganusn View Post
    Just got back from long... No overflow at all and minimal snow. Made for very nice conditions and easy to drive on.

I love hooking.
    How'd you guys do?

A few nice burbot, a 22" laker and some char. It was a good, but very cold, night!

I love hooking.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by cptmorganusn View Post
    A few nice burbot, a 22" laker and some char. It was a good, but very cold, night!

I love hooking.
    Nice!! Sounds like fun!

So I was looking through the regs and just thought I'd clarify clarify this. So when your fishing for burbot all other fish caught during that time must be to released immediately? For example if I was fishing Long for burbot and land a laker. Can't keep it? Also any updates on conditions at Long lake would be appreciated!

Call fish and game or stop by your local office.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter530 View Post
    So I was looking through the regs and just thought I'd clarify clarify this. So when your fishing for burbot all other fish caught during that time must be to released immediately? For example if I was fishing Long for burbot and land a laker. Can't keep it? Also any updates on conditions at Long lake would be appreciated!
    If you are using burbot lines and catch other species on THOSE lines, they must be released. See page 22 of the sport fishing regs.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    If you are using burbot lines and catch other species on THOSE lines, they must be released. See page 22 of the sport fishing regs.
    Thanks for clarifying that up.

When I was there about 10 days ago there wasn't much snow, I'm sure with this recent wind there is zero snow on it. I'm likely headed up again in Sunday though, so I'll let you know

I love hooking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast