Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose and Black Bear hunt on the Kenai in fall of 2014

Cool Moose and Black Bear hunt on the Kenai in fall of 2014

Been to the Kenai before, but first time hunting will be this fall, 2014. Several of us are coming up, and planning on flying into Anchorage, renting vehicles and driving to the Kenai. We will be staying in state owned cabins, like at Upper Ohmer Lake. Where is the best place to hunt Moose on open tags? Don't mind hiking, but won't have four wheelers. Need to go in by SUV/Pickup. Also, looking for good black bear hunting places. Last trip we had one come to the cabin, but weren't hunting. Any help would be good. Spent a lot of time deer hunting, but never for moose.

I didn't realize today was April 1st.....but it was about 55 degrees in Homer today...
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    I didn't realize today was April 1st.....but it was about 55 degrees in Homer today...
    Now cdubbin, is that nice? Poor guy just wants to come up and hunt moose on the Kenai.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Road accessible moose get pounded by the locals, tough for an out of tower who doesn't have a chance to leash one to a tree before the season.

How did you pick kenai for open season moose?

Kenai mountains for bears is a little more doable if you can climb a few thousand feet and hike 6 or so miles round trip doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The previous poster pretty much covered it - the Kenai Peninsula is possibly the worst area for a non-resident to expect a successful moose hunt at this time. For black bears it can be excellent - come in September and look high on the mountains in the berry patches - seriously high, as in above the goats. For moose, though, look elsewhere.

I live on the Kenai & drove 600 miles north this year to kill a 28" bull & was thrilled. That should tell you a LOT about the Kenai.
    Without a TON of local knowledge & experience your chances of getting mugged are better than your chances of killing a legal moose. Also I'm sure you know but you can't hunt within several miles of where your cabin is & it's about a half mile walk in & out from the cabin. Beautiful cabin & spot though.
    I would recommend you look into the Minto area. Road accessible, & any moose. You can hike which few folks do) or you can road hunt like most of the locals (there aren't many.). Lots of folks hunt that area on the weekends (only 100 miles from Fairbanks) but no more than the Kenai! Your odds of getting a bull will by multiplied greatly

Beyond that, enjoy your time in the state! Bring a nice 8wt fly rod too if you come to the Kenai!.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Where's the best place to shoot a moose on the Kenai??? Shoot a bear it's probably in its gut. Thanks to F&G letting the brown bear population get out of hand you'd have to be very lucky.... But black bear, they're everywhere, but best place to find them is to look up high in the berries late fall. But seriously don't get any hopes up of killing a moose here you'd only be disappointed.

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Check the regs, If you're a non-resident your stuck to 15B and unit 7 on the Kenai. The draw deadline has already past so that means in 15B you would be hunting Funny River area and main roads between Kenai and Kasilof Rivers. This will be mostly locals hunting for the dumb spikes.

In unit 7 I believe in all general season last year only like 2 bulls were shot. So if you hunt unit 7 your up against the odds.

Also on the Kenai you need to be a good moose judge because brow tine regulations here will not bail you out like other areas in AK. Maybe one out of 50 bulls on the Kenai will have 4 Brow tine. If you can't tell the difference between a 50 inch and 40 inch moose, then the Kenai is not going to be the area you want to hunt moose.

Besides that, there should be some good coho fishing at the Russian River and other areas that time of year and there are some good black bear spots around the Skilak Lake area, be careful of the Refuge closed area. Kings and halibut out of homer are also possibilities. So there are positives of coming to the Kenai in the fall, the colors are gorgeous, but the moose hunting for residents or non-residents is at a tough time currently.

I hate to rain on the parade but I also live on the penn. For the last 9 years I drive 12 hours north and hunt moose. Got a 65" bull last year, my best. I usually see cow moose in my yard all winter. I've seen 3 this winter. one day 8 years ago I counted 29 one morning going from sterling to kenai. I've seen maybe 15 all winter and in the winter you always see them near the road.

Yes, unfortunately what the others have said is true. I do know of a few real nice bulls being killed down here last year, but those were by guys that really know the area and have access to some pretty remote spots. Even if a large number of brown bears are killed this spring and fall, and maybe a couple good fires to create better habitat, we're still looking at quite a few years (with decent winters) before we have a nice amount of moose for us to get to hunt again.

Either last year, or the year before, a fellow coworker ran into a guy from F&G at lunch. This was in the summer and at that time they were actually thinking of closing the whole peninsula down for moose hunting the coming fall. They ended up not doing it but personally I wish they had. That's how bad it's gotten.

Black bear hunting on the other had can be phenomenal. One day a friend and I ended up counting 6 blackies on the side of a mountain one morning/afternoon. I ended up killing a nice one.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

To be honest like others have said when you get your rental car in Anchorage head north instead of south.
    I Honestly cannot recommend anyone plan a Moose hunt on the Kenai Peninsula anytime soon. Certainly not this year.
    You may find some bears though if you look hard enough and walk far enough.
    The area you are thinking of renting cabins is within the Skilak loop area which is closed to all hunting with a few exceptions for small game.
    If you really want a moose you are looking at the wrong part of the state. I would personally do more research before your trip and pick another area of the state.
    Just curiosity but why the Kenai? Certainly you are aware of the 50" 4 browtine regs enacted a few years ago?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Red face

If I was going to do the Kenai for bears again (insert glutton for punishment here), I fly to Crescent Lake from Moose Pass, http://www.scenicmountainair.com/cabin-flights/, to save myself some hiking, stay at the cabin near the outlet and get ready to get up high. There are bears there for those that would like to sheep hunt them in the fall.

Ya, I love kenai for bar hunting in the fall. See lots of bears, but killing one with a recurve has been the challenge. It's nto how far you go for them, it's how high. If you think your high enough your not.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    If I was going to do the Kenai for bears again (insert glutton for punishment here), I fly to Crescent Lake from Moose Pass, http://www.scenicmountainair.com/cabin-flights/, to save myself some hiking, stay at the cabin near the outlet and get ready to get up high. There are bears there for those that would like to sheep hunt them in the fall.
    I've flown one of Vern's cubs out of there, plenty of Black bears in the area. http://alaskafloatratings.com/index....other-flights2

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Ya, I love kenai for bar hunting in the fall. See lots of bears, but killing one with a recurve has been the challenge. It's nto how far you go for them, it's how high. If you think your high enough your not.
    My experience has been, if your not on top, your not high enough. I've only ever been above ONE bear, then the wind shifted and it was all over...

Since everything else has been covered, my recommendation is to set up shop at Sals, try the reindeer skillet, and enjoy!

Sals is closed

Quote Originally Posted by mtncowboy View Post
    Since everything else has been covered, my recommendation is to set up shop at Sals, try the reindeer skillet, and enjoy!
    Louie's in Kenai is the breakfast place...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Sakets BBQ!!!!

And for lunch and dinner, the best option is St. Elias Brewery. After sampling their beers (and excellent food), drop by Kenai River Brewing for a growler fill.

As for bears, it cannot be said too many times - go HIGH. If you're not in shape for a goat/sheep hunt, hunting fall bears in the Kenai Mountains is going to be tough.

My wife took this one 200' short of the ridgeline after we summited and hunted from the top. It then ran/rolled another ~400' down the mountain.

It could have been a double, but we decided that one bear was enough that day, as we kept the meat and were over 3,000' up and ~3 miles from the truck with darkness not far off and snow spitting at us off and on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast