Thread: Any 8mm Rem Mag fans out there?

Default Any 8mm Rem Mag fans out there?

I recently acquired a m700 in 8mm mag on a trade and I'm looking for load options from people with experience. Around here in Tn there is little need for such a behemoth of a gun, but around here overkill is quite common as people fell that the bigger the gun the bigger the animal they will see and whitetail are only so big. For the most part I'll just use my 270, and occasionally my 7wsm, but on occasion I may want to use my big 8. What I'm wanting is a bullet that will provide me with a very flat shooting bullet and still open up quick enough on thin skinned game. I have a box of 200 Speer hotcors that came with it and 2 boxes of the 179's and a box of the 150's. I feel the 150's and 170 hot cors may be a bit fragile at the big mag speeds. I feel their better for an 8mm mauser. The 200's may work better. I've been wanting to try Barnes 160 ttsx which looks promising. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with it on anything from deer to say elk? I don't have any friends or family that live anywhere that I could hunt anything big in North America so since I can't really imagine hunting anything large or very far off in the near future then it will mainly be used for deer and occasional hog. I have big guns and like to hold them and dream of having a moose or grizz or heck a big elk for that matter in my sights. Man I wish I lived in AK sometimes. Y'all have everything I want in life

I think its a very good cartridge that has been overlooked. Plus the bullet selection is not the greatest. I don't have one but I am looking for some 8mm Rem mag brass to fireform for my 358 STA. The big 8 will be a hammer on deer and a flat shooter for long distance.

I have no real use for a gun like this. I have always looked at them and admired them. I would love to have one of them but can not justify buying one. I would still pick one up if I could find one at a decent price.

I love my 8mm Rem Mag. Its great on bears and caribou up here. Bullet selectio has gotten better since the 325 wsm came out. I agree with you that I would think the 150s might not hold up to the velocity although I have not used them. 200 grain accubonds is what I currently use but then again I'm not hunting whitetails.

Well I loaded up some 170 hot-cor bullets to fire form my 300 weatherby brass to 8mm and they shot very well. I dug one of the rounds from the bank and the core had came out and the jacket was peeled back pretty good. I'd like to have something that expands fast but holds together at 3400 fps. The Barnes 160 ttsx might be a good try for me. I loaded these 170's up with 78 gr of imr 4831 and that was 2 gr under max in the Speer book. It felt like a heavy load though. Pretty good recoil and even though it wasn't a max load it should have been running 3000 or a hair more. Pretty stout cartridge.

Ah... The "Big 8" Here you go. Great threads by a shooter who posts here often.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=remington

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...g-Range-Report

Me... I shoot the "Little 8" 325wsm and love it. Same ballistics as the Ol Big 8 but with modern powders in that big ol case the Big 8 is a more of a cannon now than it ever was.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Lots of .323 bullets out there from 150gr Hornadys, up to 220gr Gamekings (Made specifically for the Big 8) and 220 Swift A-Frames.

I shoot 200gr Accubonds at 2950fps in my 325 and 220GK's at 2800 with excellent results in accuracy and performance on game.

180gr TSX's and if a guy looks he might be able to find some of the old Barnes 250's.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Lots of .323 bullets out there from 150gr Hornadys, up to 220gr Gamekings (Made specifically for the Big 8) and 220 Swift A-Frames.

I shoot 200gr Accubonds at 2950fps in my 325 and 220GK's at 2800 with excellent results in accuracy and performance on game.

180gr TSX's and if a guy looks he might be able to find some of the old Barnes 250's.
    Thanks! Yea if I ever run across any 250 Barnes then I'll grab them for sure. If I don't ever use them then I'm sure someone in here will. I see posts for people looking for them all the time. Right now I'm up in the air trying to decide if I want to use the 200 gr accubond or the 160 ttsx. I'll mainly use if for hogs and deer here in the south. I have my 270 which I mainly use for deer so honestly my 8mm won't get a whole lot of time in the field until I can afford to go to Africa but I really want to go to Alaska and hunt caribou, moose, and grizz. Problem is, is that it costs a lot of money and since I don't know anyone from Alaska that I could go hunt public land with, then I'm stuck doing it on my own or with a buddy that can go with me or hire a guide which I doubt I'll ever spend the money on. I'm pretty good at getting out on my own, but what would I do with an 800 pound animal if I killed it and it was just me. It is a dream that I'll make come true one day. But as of now I'm trying to figure out what kinda work I need to do on the side to afford my hobby of hunting and shooting. Hopefully it'll fall in my lap one day haha.

Try the 200gr accubond. High bc, hold together good. A few of us around here have killed lots of game with them from sheep, to griz to moose. With as good of a flyer that it is I could not find any reason to go with a lighter bullet.

I shot a small gris with the 220gr Gamekings. 165yds, complete pass throughs, busted up spine, shoulder, no sign of bullet fragmentation. Only our destruction. Only pushing 2800fps in the 325 but I'm sure you could go more in the Big 8. I talked with Sierra about that bullet and the designed it specifically for the 8mm. Thicker jacket and tougher core.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Try the 200gr accubond. High bc, hold together good. A few of us around here have killed lots of game with them from sheep, to griz to moose. With as good of a flyer that it is I could not find any reason to go with a lighter bullet.

I shot a small gris with the 220gr Gamekings. 165yds, complete pass throughs, busted up spine, shoulder, no sign of bullet fragmentation. Only our destruction. Only pushing 2800fps in the 325 but I'm sure you could go more in the Big 8. I talked with Sierra about that bullet and the designed it specifically for the 8mm. Thicker jacket and tougher core.

Have fun!
    Well the more you talk, the more I wish I lived in Alaska. I was born to live in a place wreaking of plentiful game like deer, sheep, elk, caribou, moose, grizz...etc. If I could eat, sleep, hunt, and write about my hunts and make a living off that I would today! Ha. Well I suppose your right about the high BC. I love a good BC. Honestly I could probably live the rest of my live and get by just fine with my 270. It's by far my favorite and I'm quite proficient with it. I'd leave tomorrow and feel comfortable hunting moose with it. I'd probably change up my load to a good partition or tsx load from my BST deer load I have now though. But anyways, back to the big 8. I'll take your advise and load up the accubond. If I can find any. Sportsmans warehouse usually has what I'm looking for, but it's anyone's guess with all this hoopla going on.

You know what, I was just sitting here thinking. Ok, I've owned almost every caliber shy of the most super of magnums and well, I keep coming back to my love afair with my 270. I think I'm subconsciously trying to see if theres an all around better caliber out there but if there is I haven't seen it. But other than it, I just like odd calibers that seem to have taken a back seat to the new calibers that take the stage offering bigger, better, faster, more, but I don't know why the 8 never had more attention than it has. It's got everything besides compactness, but who ever says.... Oooo, look how short mine is? Oh well, I had an interest in it from the time I laid my eyes on it and I want to explore it's possibilities. Won't happen anytime soon on my salery but maybe one day. I appreciate your helpfulness though. I don't know anyone with an 8 of any size so any info is new info to me.

Ok I never managed to find any of the bullets I had hoped to get, but a store here got some 180tsx in stock. The books show data for powders like imr 4831,4350, h4831sc and rl19 which I have all those, but I'm wanting to use some imr7828 or the ssc7828 since I have a bunch of it too and I don't particularly use it in any other of my guns. Problem is that I can't find and data for a starting or a max load and I don't want to undercharge with such a slow powder and get a hangfire and I really don't want to overcharge.

LoadData.com has reloading data using IMR-7828, so you might want to give it a shot

For years before I hand loaded I used to shoot regular Remington CL in 180 and 220 grain. Had great results with them. More than a few times I found the CL in the skin on the opposite side of a moose. But since then all I've run in mine are hand loaded 200 grain NP. Killed from deer and elk, to sheep moose and brown and black bear. Accurate, powerful....I love it...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!