Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SWT

Default New SWT

Gettin ready to buy a new SWT in Wasilla. The sticker price they have is quite a bit higher than MSRP. Any input how to get the best price. There was a web site I looked a few years ago that would break out how much a dealer pays for a sled. There was a charge for the info. Thanks!
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

I would suspect that with the lack of snow right now, that dealers would be willing to 'deal' on the price. If you can find the prices for 'last years' models, use that as a starting point. What else is the dealer willing 'throw in' on the deal? Also have you checked prices at other dealers?
    Good luck!

First, you have to shop around to each dealer. Go outside of the anchorage / Wasilla area to look as well. When I bought by WT a year ago I shopped and talked to several and we very willing on buying a new machine but they could not come close to a reasonable price on what they had. I ended up finding a used machine and saved 4k as compared to what the new one would cost and the machine I found was about a 2 years old and in perfect condition. Buying from a dealer is still buying from a dealer the larger the dealer the better the price because he gets a better price on the machines the more they buy. You are still paying a lot for the new machine, it's the same way with boats as well, I will never buy a new boat again.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I'ld have cash in hand and have a price set in my mind what it's worth to me. Start a bit below what I'm willing to pay and work (if need be ) up to my cut off point. The only drawback there is if he accepts my first offer, I wished I started lower. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard ALL of the Ski-Doo dealers in Alaska are owned by the same family and they pretty much don't negotiate because "where ya gonna go". I don't think they probably make a lot on a new machine, but a thousand bucks is a thousand bucks. I'm all about capitalism, BUT...I just get tired of the "do you have any idea how much it costs to get something to Alaska BS. Vehicle dealers are notorius for this. Well, I know exactly how much it costs to get a F-350 to Alaska, so can't imagine a snowmobile costing that much. I want the sled but don't necesarily want to put someones kid thru a semester of college either. Any and all input is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to find that web site that showed how much a dealer paid for a particular sled...
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

Alaska Mining & Diving is a dealer.

No, Team CC is owned by the Cronquists, River and Sea Marine is owned by Peter Thompson, and AMDS is owned by Dudley Benesch and Steve Herschbach.

With that said, it's true, there's NOT a lot of "fat" in the prices of sleds - make a few hundred of wiggle room.

I believe AMDS is now employee owned.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The more ya look into it the more I'm not sure. I was thinking the 600 ETEC H.O. as most of my research shows the 600 ACE 4 stroke to be way underpowered. The 2015 might have the 900 ACE 4 Stroke. So I think I'm going to wait to see what the 2015 SWT engine options are. Any thoughts??? Thanks!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

The 600 H.O. puts out around 130 h.p. It'd make a tank like the SWT feel like a Ferrari. Well....maybe a Camaro.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Try the dealer in Homer.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Dealers make 100-400.00 per sled. Can't say how I know, I just know. They hope on add on's and shop time to make money, not new sleds..

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Dealers make 100-400.00 per sled. Can't say how I know, I just know. They hope on add on's and shop time to make money, not new sleds..
    Based on what price? MSRP? What I'd like to know is, what the dealer had to pay for the sled. It's a business and they need to make a profit, I get that. But like Stanly said, I don't want to feel like I'm getting gouged. Which is what it seems like when they are asking over MSRP.

Back in 2005 I had a Polaris XCR 800 shipped up from New York and it cost me $1700.00. Just pay the price for the machine or look for a used one. After my recent experience, I will only buy new from now on unless I am looking for a specific machine and am willing to rebuild if necessary.

Try asking around for last years machine(s) that they may not have sold yet.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Ditto.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtofak View Post
    Try the dealer in Homer.

When I bought my 2011 Expedition Sport 600ACE I called all around the state and the best price was at AMDS.
    Yes AMDS is now employee owned.
    They beat the Wasilla price by $300. I called Wasilla and they would not budge on their price so I went with AMDS. The service at AMDS was first class also.
    It definitely pays to shop around. Know exactly what you want and start calling. I am guessing the way this winter is going you should find some deals on sleds.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

2013 WT from CC in ER. They offered the best price after soliciting bids. The service department is terrible.

That 600 ACE will surprise you. I love it. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Charterboat Operator

Another option would be Wilderness Ski-Doo in Nome, the Bankey's are awsome, bought my last two sleds from them, 125 bucks to have them back hauled in from Nome. Worth looking into.

+1 for CC in ER. Buddy of mine shopped around for his SWT, and they were the best price. As mentioned though - service well, ahh. AKMD, I just hear to much horror stories, but they stay in business. As Sweepint says, used if your not in a hurry might be a solid option...

We need some snow...
    Tony

How it going Stanly? did you find one yet? I am the buddy that tzieli 22 refered too They where the best price in town, at then time,was 4 yrs ago now, A v-800 model Homer was 150.00 cheaper but I did not want to do the drive there. The new model comes with 600etec and the 600 ace.With talk of bigger next yr. I love the 600 etec moter,good gas 2stroke, expensive oil, will start way down there -30.However seems that have been some issues in the motor holding up to the task, in the swt my friend owns only got 600 miles out his before rebuild,been troublesome from the begining to keep it cool.Another in a summit got about 1800 miles on it than came apart.Hum.........I have seen some take 3500 miles from young men just on it all the time hum...My thoughts is just doesn't like slow speed pulling. in the swt frame. I spend a lot of time reading over on the ski doo forms maybe worth some time to do some home work.Good luck with your choice The SWT is the king,They are a beautiful machine,here's a link.
    . http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/...e#entry6331906

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast