Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 26Nosler any thoughts???

Default 26Nosler any thoughts???

Any thoughts on this new caliper? Ballistics look impressive. Right now nosler is the only one with a rifle chambered for it.

Pretty cool round... It is based off the .404 Jeff and basically a necked down 300 Dakota. I've been thinking of doing one for about 3 years. It'll be a real barrel burner so I'll definitely get the barrel nitrided. They are advertising 3400 fps with a 129 gr bullet. I wouldn't shoot anyhtin less than a 140 gr bullet and would lean to the 160 Matrix. With RL33, I am pushing 140's in excess of 3400 out of a 27" 6.5 WSM (also based off the .404 Jeff) I would think this cartridge could push the 160's at 3400 or more with a good load of 33.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Heard the Nosler guy say at the shot show "Gun Talk radio show" there were other mfg that would be offering rifles in this caliber. I would think in a few months there should be much more info out on it and several reviews to compare.

I'm definitely interested in hearing more about this one. I was looking to have a 257 built for me but I may hold off and see where this one goes

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    Heard the Nosler guy say at the shot show "Gun Talk radio show" there were other mfg that would be offering rifles in this caliber. I would think in a few months there should be much more info out on it and several reviews to compare.
    if you go to the nosler website for the 26N at the bottom of the page they are taking a poll for manufactures that you would to see this caliber in. Right now Remington has the lead.

it will be interesting to see what you could push the heavier bullets out to.

For LR shooting I'd much prefer a rifle that launches the 140ish grain 6.5s at 2800-3000 fps. Cost and recoil make it a niche offering, primarily attracting guys that do not shoot a great deal. I'm not saying that it will not perform at its advertised levels, just that its ballistic performance is as much advertisement as an advantage..........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    Any thoughts on this new caliper? Ballistics look impressive. Right now nosler is the only one with a rifle chambered for it.
    I've looked at it a little. The ballistics look pretty impressive- I don't know that I'd be rushing to sell a decent .264WM or a .257WBY to buy one but for a guy in the market for a sub .30 caliber open country rifle it looks like it has a lot to offer. I believe it would make an outstanding sheep and caribou rifle since the Nosler rifles don't weigh a ton and shoot extremely well and it also fits in for about any Western hunting a guy would care to do.

I agree with 1Cor though…. I just don't think this will appeal to the volume shooter but more so to the hunter. I'd look for the 140gr load soon since it's omission is probably more about marketing than performance.

I believe it's based on the .404 case head so chambering it (or rebarrelling) a Rem 700 RUM should be a snap. I'm pretty interested to see where this goes since I've got a lot of fondness for the M48 rifle and the Nosler line of bullets and ammo as well. I've had nothing but excellent results to date.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I hear they are using a 9" twist barrel, so that would leave out using the VLD type 140 gr bullets. Event the 130 gr Bergers require an 8 twist. If true, you gotta wonder what they are thinking. Their plan includes shooting their 129 gr ABLR's which apparently stabilize in a 9" twist.

There has been a lot of interest in this cartridge in the Long Range Hunting forums. Several threads on it and a lot of guys saying they want to get one. The 9" twist will seriously dampen interest in the factory rifles, but guys are ordering reamers for tighter twist builds. The 140 and 160 gr VLD's will be the bullets of choice for that niche market.

Also interested to see how proud Nosler is of their brass. It is fairly good quality stuff but on the soft side and not very durable. Midway advertises Nosler 7 SAUM brass for $65.99 per 25 and Norma (which makes Nosler brass) for $37.49 per 25

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=19893

Nosler is very proud of their name I think.

It will be very interesting to see how this cartridge goes. The market for the Nosler rifles will be a small one I think. Most of the long range shooters I know will build their own.

One other possible issue is the ABLR bullets terminal performance at high velocity. Have read numerous reports of the bullets exploding on contact with very little penetration. Not surprising when considering they are designed to expand down to 1300 fps. With the 129 ABLR's and an MV of 3400 fps out of the 26 Nosler, that could lead to a lot of closer range wrecks.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Not to dump on 6.5s, but my 7STW does 3300 chronoed with a 150 Scirroco.What more do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post

looks like an impressive way to turn an entire front end of a game animal into a bloodshot mess. Those are my "thoughts". I'd rather have a 6.5x284, 6.5x55 mauser, 260 Rem, or a 6.5-06 over that one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    looks like an impressive way to turn an entire front end of a game animal into a bloodshot mess. Those are my "thoughts". I'd rather have a 6.5x284, 6.5x55 mauser, 260 Rem, or a 6.5-06 over that one.
    OR, a 6.5 Creedmore.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    OR, a 6.5 Creedmore.

SOTN
    oh yahh!......thatah one too.

On the " Its kinda neet" to have a new caliber scale I give it a 8 outa 10...
    On the " Does it really do anything that the ones in my safe don't already do", I will pass on owning one...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Call me a sceptic, but what do you really gain with another 100 fps when you can already shoot flat out to almost 400 yards with a standard scope. With today's optics you can have a turret made to your cartridge and just dial in the range, so I don't see the benefit. Now the negatives are very real: increased cost, increased recoil and muzzle blast, increased barrel and throat wear, etc. Count me out.

I like the idea of a supercharged 6.5 round... however, I will pass on the 26 Nosler. Brass is $67 pre box of 25 and that is waaaayyy too much for Nosler brass. If it was Lapua, that would be a different story. Other options, for a supercharged 6.5 are 7 LRM (7mm/375 Ruger) neck down, 375 Ruger Necked down, 7mm or 300 Dakota necked down, or improved 8x68S neck down. I like the 6.5/300 Dakota option.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Now, it was only the other day that I was reading about a new "6.5 something" being a terrible barrel burner and then poof ! there's a picture of this - Back in "the day" I had a 6.5-06 AI that I strutted around the PD towns with ....... just chalk this one up to Nosler trying to "grow" - we all know that it's fun to mess with a new cartridge and the 6.5 is the holy grail of long range, or so "they" say - when it comes right down to where the rubber meets the road though there is not a tinker's darn worth of difference when the many very capable chamberings are lined up side by side, UNLESS you are a competitive shooter who is counting 1/16" way out there where that wind sock is - in hunting, all of the rounds have to be adjusted for out beyond let's say 400 yds (if you are one of the 3.5-4" high at 100 crowd) so what difference does it make if you compensate by holding 7" high or 9" high for that hit way out there ? What really matters is if you shoot enough to KNOW where your round hits and the percentage of "hunters" who do that is low - there appears to be a growing number of "boomers" out there who want to become hunters and are willing to pay through the nose for the next big thing and Nosler also appears to be targeting these, and other shooters and hunters who have a big wallet - It has never ceased to amaze me how a person I may have known very casually for some time enters into a conversation about shooting or hunting and spews forth this garbled bunch of "facts" that is utter nonsense, I used to try to talk then down and enlighten but I've long since realized that there is a fool born every minute, I suppose in other venues I would be one of those as well - No, I'll just stay with those old antiquated 7mm's and limp along lobbing my old bullets in at the poor unsuspecting game (wouldn't they be insulted if only they knew my ignorance)

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    Now, it was only the other day that I was reading about a new "6.5 something" being a terrible barrel burner and then poof ! there's a picture of this - Back in "the day" I had a 6.5-06 AI that I strutted around the PD towns with ....... just chalk this one up to Nosler trying to "grow" - we all know that it's fun to mess with a new cartridge and the 6.5 is the holy grail of long range, or so "they" say - when it comes right down to where the rubber meets the road though there is not a tinker's darn worth of difference when the many very capable chamberings are lined up side by side, UNLESS you are a competitive shooter who is counting 1/16" way out there where that wind sock is - in hunting, all of the rounds have to be adjusted for out beyond let's say 400 yds (if you are one of the 3.5-4" high at 100 crowd) so what difference does it make if you compensate by holding 7" high or 9" high for that hit way out there ? What really matters is if you shoot enough to KNOW where your round hits and the percentage of "hunters" who do that is low - there appears to be a growing number of "boomers" out there who want to become hunters and are willing to pay through the nose for the next big thing and Nosler also appears to be targeting these, and other shooters and hunters who have a big wallet - It has never ceased to amaze me how a person I may have known very casually for some time enters into a conversation about shooting or hunting and spews forth this garbled bunch of "facts" that is utter nonsense, I used to try to talk then down and enlighten but I've long since realized that there is a fool born every minute, I suppose in other venues I would be one of those as well - No, I'll just stay with those old antiquated 7mm's and limp along lobbing my old bullets in at the poor unsuspecting game (wouldn't they be insulted if only they knew my ignorance)
    I ain't no expert, but I agree with just about everything you've said.

I'm thinking that 25-06 pretty much maxes out 6.5 caliber, practically speaking. I believe that the 264 WM, was too much.

I don't have one, cuz I'm a 7mm Man. The 7mm-06/280 rem. I have already, and I don't think that case maxes out 7mm. Which is why I have a couple different versions of 7mm Mag.

I can't believe that a NOTHER OVERBORE CARTRIDGE, will be a huge success. I thought the recent trend was towards smaller capacity cartridges.

IMO, 6.5 is a good cal. for heavy bullets, that's the magic of 6.5, IF they aren't pushed too fast. (Just remembering all I've read regarding the 264 WM.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have a friend who once had a 6mm PSP. He wore the barrel out before he found a load that suited him. Shooting a 6.5/284 with the 142 Sierra in F-Class toasts a barrel in about 1,000 rds. Been there--Done that--three times. 6.5/.375 Ruger will make a "Barn Burner" hunting round.
    Just some thoughts.
    Craig

I would like to see the other caliber's folks have listed (and the Weatherby 270 and 7mm) ballistics when zeroed at 350 yds as Nosler has done for this 415 yd claim. I see Weatherby has theirs listed with a 300 zero but most I see are for a 200 zero.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I would like to see the other caliber's folks have listed (and the Weatherby 270 and 7mm) ballistics when zeroed at 350 yds as Nosler has done for this 415 yd claim. I see Weatherby has theirs listed with a 300 zero but most I see are for a 200 zero.
    With the 129 gr ABLR @ an MV of 3400 fps and zero @ 350 yds, the drop will be ~ 5" @ 415 yds and it will have a trajectory apex of 3" between 100-125 yds.

I can tell you right now, that cartridge can push that bullet a lot faster. I am pushing 140 Bergers @ 3400 fps out of a 27" barrel 6.5 WSM with RL33 and the 26 Nosler is quite a bit bigger.

I think the cartridge is a great idea but nothing really new in case design as it is basically a shortened and necked down 7 RUM. A little too overbore for a 6.5 IMO. One other draw back is the spendy Nosler brass which is usually on the soft side. Not gonna pay $2.60/case for it... no way. Also not going to buy any factory 6.5 rifles with a 9 twist that can't shoot 140 pills. The Nosler 9 twist works well with their 129 bullet but who wants to shoot that light a bullet out of that big case? No thank you... it is also a very frangible bullet and there will be a lot of terminal wrecks with it at those velocities come hunting season.

I suspect they didn't load the 129 ABLR hotter than 3400 because it would not handle the stress out of the rifling. That is a lot of wasted case space for that load IMO. It can be easily duplicated in a 6.5 WSM or 264 WM.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast