Thread: What mill bags for a Vaccuum Sealer

Default What mill bags for a Vaccuum Sealer

My buddy just bought a commercial vacuum sealer and now its time to buy bags for it. We will be using it primarily for salmon and halibut. What mill bags should we buy? Do any of you know what Coal Point and places like that use? What mill bags do you use? Thanks for your help!

Great Falls Montana and Coffman Cove Alaska

I use 4 mill - 8x10's. They work great.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Ak butcher supply 5 mil
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I would recommend the thicker 5mil bags. Sometimes the bones in the fish, especially salmon will poke a small hole in the bag causing it to loose vacuum over time.

4 mil works good for boneless. 5 mil for bone in fish. 7 mil if you plan on doing any retort canning.

The bag I use kind depends on what fish, how long it stays in your freezer, how much shuffling the food in your freezer gets. I have a case of each and make the call when I process the fish/game/deserts/meals...
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    4 mil works good for boneless. 5 mil for bone in fish. 7 mil if you plan on doing any retort canning.
    It will all be boneless except for the pin bones in the salmon. Thanks for all your replies!

We use the 5 mil bags from AKbutcher supply in our commercial sealer. Never had an issue yet.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

We do fine with 3 mil bags called Vac Strip. They have an individual strip inside that removes air out of the back of the bag. The boxes are 100 to a box and affordable. We use them for Salmon, Halibut, Lingcod, Rockcod, steak, etc. Never had any break or puncture. We go through a lot of bags and usually order 500-1000 at a time. If you buy over $100 worth it is free shipping at least in Washington state. These same bags at a local place were $62 a box of 10x15 where I got them for $33 a box through this place. http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/vac...o_plastic.aspx

You might look and see if there are 5 mil bags on this site if you want them or call them. You can spend a fortune on bags.

Charterboat Operator

5 MILL BAGS ARE WHAT WE USE, big trick that we have done and had great success with; cut stips from sevaral bags, (spliiting a 8 x 12 or 10 bag in half works good. when you are doing salmon or rockfish place the piece of loose plastic over the pin bone area. place in vac and suck away.
    we have saved many fillets this way, it certainly cant hurt.