Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Hunt Sleeping Bag recommendations

Default Mountain Hunt Sleeping Bag recommendations

Im looking to get a bag that packs up small is light weight and will keep me warm. Looking to do some Goat hunting and hopefully some day go after Sheep. Recommendations?

thanks much

Western Mountaineering down....google it....keep it in a waterproof bag....

My boys bad I have the Marmot Helium 15 degree bags, they pack small, are light ,and we have never been cold in them. We,ve packed them on many sheep and goat hunts. A buddy of mine just looked at the new Kuiu sleeping at the Dallas Safari Club show, he said it looked like a nice, light bag, you may want to look at this bag, it's also made with the super down like the Kuiu coats!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

I have a helium an it's great. Under 2 pounds. 15 degrees (and a real 15 degrees rating, keeps you alive way under that), and very compact. But not waterproof if that's important.

I saw them on clearance recently for about half what I paid. It was on steep and cheap, via backcountry.com.

Thinking more lately about getting something synthetic instead of down, though.

This is my go-to bag

http://www.hermitshut.com/?product=w...e-sleeping-bag

My buddy runs a helium and they are nice bags too. The Versalite is a 10* bag and weighs a couple ounces less than the helium. Western Mountaineering is also made in the USA.

Yeah that's a bit more dollars but still 2lbs and zero degrees instead of 15.

There's been plenty of times I have sort of kicked myself for not having a zero degree bag.

Check out backcountrygear.com they are having some decent sales on bags right now. Also golite.com has some decent bags. I havent talked to anyone who uses them but the reviews are great. One more Ive been looking at to compare what is out there is featheredfriends.com .

Western Mountaineering as well.

kuiu is coming out with a lightweight sleeping bag here soon here is the link http://blog.kuiu.com/2013/04/02/supe....nUschFGz.dpbs

I've had an old lightweight Sierra Designs bag that I use for sheep hunting, and this year used for goat. It ended up snowing on the goat hunt and I still stayed warm. It's been a good bag for me.... http://www.sierradesigns.com/c-26-sleeping-bags.aspx
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have used the Marmot Helium 15 EQ which is water proof. Next step down (0 degrees) is the Lithium - also available in a water proof version. These have been used on multiple hunts in Alaska and else where with complete satisfaction. If I were going to get a down bag it would be wise to shop for one that has the new "water proof" down which is just now starting to show up in jackets, etc. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I upgraded to a Zpack 10 degree bag with waterproof down and over fill under 2lbs, very happy with it after last season.
    Last edited by stid2677; 01-25-2014 at 20:36.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are great choices.

I also recently received a Big Agnes Storm King. I'm anxious to try it as it's a little lighter and packs smaller than some 0 degree down bags. The light weight is achieved in part because the bottom of the bag isn't stuffed with down. The idea is that the down on the bottom becomes flattened by the body weight and therefore loses it's insulating capabilities anyway. Instead, it comes with an envelope on the bottom of the bag which is designed to accept their Insulated Air Core pad which is supposed to provide the insulation. I remain a little cautious of this arrangement. If anyone has any experience with a Big Agnes Storm King in real cold weather I'd love to hear your thoughts about it
    Tom Mansfield
    Mansfield Outdoors
    Seattle, WA USA
    425-501-7512
    www.MansfieldOutdoors.com

I used a BA Zirkel for many years it works well. Just make sure you get the insulated pad.
    Founding Member

Would you zpack users recommend the 10 degree bag with waterproof fill? How do you like the fit with no hood and the under zipper? Looks like my next bag just doing some research and thought I would ask. Tekla

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Would you zpack users recommend the 10 degree bag with waterproof fill? How do you like the fit with no hood and the under zipper? Looks like my next bag just doing some research and thought I would ask. Tekla
    I have the waterproof down Zpack bag mine is a reg wide with draft collar and over fill. I thought it was the 20 degree but I went back and looked and it is the 10. Very happy with the bag, I would recommend the wide because mine is not that big and I'm not a big guy. I got the draft collar so I can use the bag as a center zip. My wife used it for 2 weeks on our sheep hunt and I used it late season on Kodiak. Not issues and very happy, just need to wear a beanie at night or if really cold I wear my down jacket with the hood on.
    Founding Member

Western Mountaineering - versalite

Check them out at AMH in Anchorage to see one and try it out.

For mountain hunts I love my Western Mountaineering Badger. Packs small and is good down to the rating.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I also have the 15F Western Mountaineering Badger but with the water resistant Gore Windstopper liner. It's worth every penny. I'm 6'3 with wide shoulders and the Badger is cut for guys like me. As posted above, it's made in the USA.

I'm a big fan of Western Mountaineering bags. I recently purchased their lighter weight, similarly cut 30F MegaLite bag for summer trips. It's packs even smaller and weighs a pound less. I've only tested it down to 50F so far on a beach in Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago so no real Alaska experience with it. It's tough to beat a high quality down bag as long as you keep it dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    .....as long as you keep it dry......
    when it rains 9 out of your 10 day hunt......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast