Thread: Battery Storage

Default Battery Storage

I was looking for some advice on how to store vehicle, boat and ATV batteries at our cabin in the Skwentna area. I am only able to get out there in the summer months and I am sure some of you have to deal with this issue. I was thinking maybe a solar panel with an insulated box of some sort lets here some ideas.

Charge them full, disconnect from any potential load, and walk away. Oh, and don't leave them on a floor you care about because moisture will condense on the cases and stain the floor. They should survive the winter just fine. For most of my summer equipment I don't do anything more than park them and walk away.

I have all the ones not in equipment in plastic containers just in case they freeze and crack the case. So far only lost one and it was contained.
    As Mr Pid said "Charge them full, disconnect from any potential load, and walk away." .
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Mr. Pid has pretty much got the "Idea", but I'll add my -[2-cents worth]-

#1] "NO" Flooded Batteries for me any longer, ie,,,, -[Flooded = liquid battery acid]-
    #2] Use a "AGM", "GEL", or the Yellow, or Blue Top Optima "Swirl-Tech." Type of Battery, these formats are a Gas-Regulated "Deep-Cycle" type of Battery, which means that they can be dis-charged multiple,+++,multiple times, with "NO" adverse effect, with regards to re-charging, and they are also very "Shipping" friendly, ie... "NONE" Hazardous rating. Your standard type of flooded car/truck battery is not designed for this type of service, and you will only get a couple of re-charges back, if your lucky, and the "colder" it gets the "Worse" it is on "Any-Battery".
    #3] As Mr. Pid said, make sure your battery's are "fully Charged" disconnect all of the loads, set the batteries on a piece of 3/4" ply-wood, sized to your battery, or battery bank quantity, and your good to go.
    #4] ie,,,, an "AGM" fully charged to 12.8 - 13.2 volts DC is good to -40 deg. F, a "Gel" is good to -72 deg. F, and I've had good luck with the Optima to about the -25-30 deg. F as well.
    #5] In a remote situation, having a Solar Panel, or multiple panels connected to a "Battery Minder" a small 1-1.5 amp charger is not a bad idea. There is one "Caution that you need to be aware of, with regards to your Solar Panel Selection, make sure that your design incorporates "Reverse Protecting Diodes" so that when they are sleeping in the middle of the winter, or not able to produce on a real-cloudy, or snowy covered panels situation, the "RPD's" will keep the Battery Voltage, where it belongs, in the "Batteries"
    Hope this help some ------
    The German

Mr Pid advice is a simple answer to a very complicated subject. When you take into account what he knows about batteries and his years of experience dealing with batteries at a remote location.

It is the best advice anyone can give you, it simple and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Charge them full, disconnect from any potential load, and walk away. Oh, and don't leave them on a floor you care about because moisture will condense on the cases and stain the floor. They should survive the winter just fine. For most of my summer equipment I don't do anything more than park them and walk away.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't know it was that easy. I have had it easy for the last few years with a friend putting them in his gen shed that warms up when the generator is running. This is going to be his last winter as he is looking to go south. I was thinking one of those battery minders could have them topped off by the time we get up there in June. Does anybody have a Solar panel/battery minder set up that can take care of multiple batteries off of the same unit?

fishinski,,,,, check these guys out, they can put a small package together for you. I've built multiple system's in the past, actually quite a few of them in different flavors, ie..."Voltage's" and "Amperage" sizes.
    If your buddy's going south, you should probably have a system ready to install this summer, that way you can "Tweak-it" before you leave for the year. Anyway, check this contact out that i have attached. We'll stay in touch if you like, i get up that way several times during the year, and may be able to give you a few pointers if you like.
    The GermanAttachment 76657

Quote Originally Posted by fishinski View Post
    I was thinking one of those battery minders could have them topped off by the time we get up there in June.
    You never said you wanted to have fully charged batteries when you came back to Alaska. If your willing to spend a lot of money and become an expert on charging/maintaining batteries anything is possible.

This is a very in-depth article about charging and dis-charging batteries. He has written it about RV batteries but the principals are the same for cabins ect. I learned a lot and it makes sense. Hold in tight; this may be may than you ever wanted to know about batteries: http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/t...ging-puzzle-2/
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    fishinski,,,,, check these guys out, they can put a small package together for you. I've built multiple system's in the past, actually quite a few of them in different flavors, ie..."Voltage's" and "Amperage" sizes.
    If your buddy's going south, you should probably have a system ready to install this summer, that way you can "Tweak-it" before you leave for the year. Anyway, check this contact out that i have attached. We'll stay in touch if you like, i get up that way several times during the year, and may be able to give you a few pointers if you like.
    The GermanAttachment 76657

Yea-that's a good site-thanks for the info!! http://www.solar-electric.com/deep-c...ttery-faq.html
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

The best and only way is don't let them freeze.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

They won't freeze if they're charged. They won't discharge if their specific gravity is good and they aren't being drained by a load. There's no advantage to keeping them in a gen shed while dormant.

Northern Arizona Wind & Sun has been a great source of parts an knowledge for me. Don't look past Renewable Energy and ABS Alaska as local and very competent alternatives. Local is good.