Thread: ATV access to the Palmer Hay Flats

Default ATV access to the Palmer Hay Flats

For years I've been flying to the Susitna Flats to hunt, but for the last several years bad weather has kept me grounded more often than not.
    I've been researching hunting the Palmer Hay Flats and it looks like you come in by ATV from the West or by boat from the East. I have a boat, but would prefer to use my ATV and would like to know if there's decent hunting in that area?

The only access to the hayflats via ATV is from the Cottonwood Creek parking lot, accessed off Fairview Lp rd. Your atv needs to be capable of going though 3 ft deep water with 2 ft deep mud beneith the water. The atv access is open only in the fall thoughout waterfowl season, but you can easily see the trails on google earth. All other access is closed to atv traffic unless there is substantial snow on the ground. The trail goes out about 7 miles. Occasionally you see tracks or hear about others going out in other areas, but if caught, they could get a expensive ticket and could get their atv and other equipment taken by the long arm of the law.

Once you get to know the area and the flyway, hunting can go from poor to excellent depending on your on skill and degree of effort. The biggest problem is in getting away from the other people. I perfer to access the area via boat. Bud
    Wasilla

Thanks, Bud. I appreciate the info.