Thread: Kodiak hunt, doing some planning

Default Kodiak hunt, doing some planning

Thinking about making a deer hunt to Kodiak in late fall, maybe sometime in November, I have never been before but has been on my list for a while.

We are in the planning stage and at this point we are considering driving to Homer from Fairbanks and Ferrying to either Kodiak or Port Lions. It looks like we can drive to Anton Larsen Bay. We were thinking of taking a 20' skiff type boat for use in the bay, however that adds considerable expense to the ferry ride. So I have been looking into renting a Zodiak and a wall tent and leave the boat at home.

So the question is; any rentals of this type in Kodiak or Port Lions?
    Does Anton Larsen get more pressure than Kizhuyak Bay?

Any thoughts suggestions...? Thanks....!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I hunted the area around Port Lions 2 years ago, end of October, using an ATV for transportation. Hunted 5 days, harvested the only 2 bucks we saw. Let one doe walk.

When I go again I'll have some sort of watercraft.

Here's your zodiac and tent! http://www.kodiakkamps.com/Rates.html

Best of luck to ya!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Anton Larson is the closet ramp to Kizhuyak Bay and the access point for all the smaller boats, so, ya, it gets pressure But Anton Larson is on the Road System so it's closed in Nov unless you have Archery/muzzleloader certs. I would bring my own boat if it were me, but that's me, that 20'er you mentioned willallow you to access much more area than anythign I saw listed for rent. And I won't leave an inflatable unattended again, had one get eated down in Ketchikan and ended up swimming back the boat and beaching it so we could love up. If the snow isn't heavy yet you might not be doing much beach hunting, well, shooting anyway.

Charter a plane from the town of Kodiak, hunt state or refuge land skip the boat. Skip the wall tent. Go double wall four season tent. Firewood isn't always around on Kodiak unless you have a way to dry and cut drift wood.
    Kizuyak is mostly all native land and not very good deer hunting as of late. Antone Larson I have never seen a deer in, lots of houses though. When planning I would travel at least two bays out.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks guys, I should have checked the regs first off, one of the guys hunted Anton 20 some years ago, regs must have changed since then as there was no mention limited season, appears one buck is allowed by rifle until Oct 31. But sounds like AL bay is pretty much out.
    Kuzhuyak bay sounds like a alder-jungle gym affair, I have done enough of that in the Alaska range. Beach hunting is certainly the easiest, but I am Ok with hiking up.....at least I think I am....! Seems like there are areas where the alders are not so prevalent?

Lookied at Ugak Bay, North side still closed and sounds like there may some pressure as it has some road access...

BB, your advice is appreciated, Is Andrew Air the main air charter outfit?
    I guess if a guy chartered, there may be no reason to ferry a vehicle over...?

“Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Take the ferry, then you can live in your truck and haul gear and deer home with out messing with the airline. Deer on beaches is rare unless you've got the snow to move them. In 15 years I've seen them in huntable numbers on the beach once, that was last week of nov with almost two foot of snow. Otherwise plan on walking a bit. Less alders on the easy side of the island is my understanding. I haven't been on the whole island but the north end is a jungle. This is a fact. Lol
    Andrews is a good outfit, seahawk and island air both have beavers. I like Andrews because they have several planes, thus getting people out quicker if weather backs them up.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The area around Antone Larson Bay is all either Native or private so If you planned on hunting there, you would need the proper permit. I hunted there a lot in the 80s, before permits were required, and took some very nice bucks there. If you know where to go, there is a sizable deer population there. (assuming deer are on the up cycle)

Here's a land ownership map. http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/e...pdf/kod_d2.pdf

Most of the easily accessible land from Antone Lrson Bay is Native land, but if you have access to a 20 ft skiff and are adventurous, there is some Federal land at the head of Sharatine Bay (the line for the three deer area runs to the mouth of Elbow Creek at the head of Sharatine Bay), and some joint venture land in Raspberry Straits that is free to hunt. (AJV) Other than that, you have to run towards Outlet Cape to get into State land and round the corner into Viekoda Bay and Uganik Passage to have access to Federal land or into Onion Bay on Raspberry Island to have access to State land.

Here's the master property owner link for Kodiak. http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/e...k/indexmap.cfm

As for beach hunting, I've taken many deer off the beaches of Kodiak starting in mid Sept by cruising the beaches at low tide especially in the morning and evening. Snow helps, but is not necessary. Sitkas like to come get minerals by licking salt off the beach rocks, and they love to bed on a high point where they can see a long way. Bluffs along the water are some of their favorite bedding areas.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Harvey Air uses a Widgeon... if you like the cool factor

Personnally i would look at the south end...

But I am prejudgious due to always getting good deer down that way...

Nov of 13, I left one tag unfilled (my choice) so the step-son could limit out and get a good buck.

Chris