Thread: Coleen River

Default Coleen River

This may be a dumb question, but how do you pronounce this river? Is it pronounced Coleen (like a Coho Salmon), or Coleen (like a Collie)? Every time I say it I say it differently and I'm not sure if I'm saying it right.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

coho salmon

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Hey thanks Taiga. Although I think that is a different spelling than the actual river. I think the river is spelled with 1 L instead of 2. Not sure if that makes a difference. And I have heard that name pronounced two different ways so I was wondering what the correct pronunciation of this specific river was. Have you heard people refer to this river with that pronunciation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Have you heard people refer to this river with that pronunciation, or is that just your best guess?Have you heard people refer to this river with that pronunciation?
    That's the way I pronounce it, and the way I've always heard it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

KO lean is how the locals say it.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I met Heimo Korth a few years ago and he also pronounced it KO Lean.

Easy tip-- She is the next river east of the SHEENJEK flowing south.
    "Co-Leen" Kind of like the old southern song "COLEEN- WHY CAN'R YOU BE TRUE"
    Nice river. Starts freezing the end of Sept.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I met Heimo Korth a few years ago and he also pronounced it KO Lean.

Read his book and wanted to sell all my personal effects and move to Alaska to carve out a future for myself. But I was unsure where all the school buses were located, so I just stayed home. Amazing story though and a great book. Meeting him was interesting I suspect.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Read his book and wanted to sell all my personal effects and move to Alaska to carve out a future for myself. But I was unsure where all the school buses were located, so I just stayed home. Amazing story though and a great book. Meeting him was interesting I suspect.

Dan
    It definitely was that.