Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Triggers wear out?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Do Triggers wear out?

Do triggers wear out? I traded for my Ruger Blackhawk, New Model, 357 many years ago, and the trigger was crap.

So, even though I couldn't afford it, at the time, I had it worked on, At Red's Gun Shop, IIRC.

It was fine. I noticed no problems.

But now, after all of these years, THERE IS CREEP IN THE TRIGGER. ???? Lots of creep. Like a 2 step trigger.

I noticed it last night. Today, I LUBBED it or tried to.

Nother job for Andy, I guess, but WHY did it CHANGE? Any ideas?

This pi$$e$ me off, and confuses me too. I have been shooting HOT loads lately, 15 grains of Lil Gun and a 184 grain bullet I get from Stoner. ????

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I just talked to Andy, he has a couple of ideas.

He can fix it no matter what the problem is.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

As I was saying it was a good trigger when I shot it a month or so ago. Sure triggers wear out, nothing is forever but triggers donít go from better than average to nasty in a month of shooting. Something got in there and did some damage, maybe still stuck in there wedged in the sear notch, maybe dinged or chipped the surface, but it ainít wear . . . Something somehow did damage or maybe is just stuck in there. Rust could do it in that time but I donít think so in this case since I know the gun is properly lubed.

No such thing as the prefect machine, it all eventually fails but weíll get it fixed right up better as new . . . Till someday the next something unexpected happens way on down the road.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

An action job is just forced wear on parts that make actions smooth.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It was a totally different type of trigger, a box trigger on a 700 Remington, and I'd swear it changed on me from session to session. Maybe, my imagination, but it seemed inconsistent. I had it cleaned and adjusted by an expert.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I have never seen a factory trigger worn out even after thousands of rounds thru it, barrels yes but not triggers. When you have a gun smith work on a trigger and they file the action now you just multiplied the wear of that action for the better or worse. I have seen some triggers to be more temperamental to dirt or gunk after firing several thousand rounds in a day but that is not the norm. The only other thing I can think of is the possibility of a unusual week or heavy spring in the mechanism.

Good luck I hope you figure it out

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Thanks sweepint:

I guess, I over reacted.

"Wear Out" was the only thing I could think of. It didn't seem to be broke.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

The old Win M97 pump shotgun is famous for wearing out and firing when you close the action. The old Rem M10 does the same thing. They don't wear out in a year or two though. I have a Ruger MKI T that has shot many thousands of rounds on a trigger that has been reworked for a very light pull and little if any creep. It has given no trouble in the 40 or so years I have had it. Anyway if your Ruger trigger has gone bad, I doubt that it is worn out. More likely it picked up some bit of crud.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The old Win M97 pump shotgun is famous for wearing out and firing when you close the action. The old Rem M10 does the same thing. They don't wear out in a year or two though. I have a Ruger MKI T that has shot many thousands of rounds on a trigger that has been reworked for a very light pull and little if any creep. It has given no trouble in the 40 or so years I have had it. Anyway if your Ruger trigger has gone bad, I doubt that it is worn out. More likely it picked up some bit of crud.
    That's a feature, not a problem... LOL. Actually on a more serious note, that's why a lot of cowboy action shooters like the Ithaca 37. It allows them to "slam fire" rounds a lot faster. Course, that was actually a design feature in the Ithaca, not a worn trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Thanks sweepint:

I guess, I over reacted.

"Wear Out" was the only thing I could think of. It didn't seem to be broke.

Smitty of the North
    Probably all that "shoot'n"ya gotta do goin to an from the out house fending all them bars off wear'd it down, or maybe that time ya dropped it down into the "honey pile" while in the crapper left some debris in it
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Probably all that "shoot'n"ya gotta do goin to an from the out house fending all them bars off wear'd it down, or maybe that time ya dropped it down into the "honey pile" while in the crapper left some debris in it
    I use a KNIFE on the bears, so's I don't wake up the neighbors.

I can't remember if I was wearin that 357 when The Lil Brown Dawgie peed on my leg.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I've got TWO Very Old Remington 10 Shootguns.

Andy checked them out.

One is ship-shape, and the other one, the oldest, has a problem, but it works most of the time.

They used Remington 10s in the War, along with the Winchester 97s.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    That's a feature, not a problem... LOL. Actually on a more serious note, that's why a lot of cowboy action shooters like the Ithaca 37. It allows them to "slam fire" rounds a lot faster. Course, that was actually a design feature in the Ithaca, not a worn trigger.
    It is a featuer I like . . . long as it can be turned off by letting the trigger go, otherwise.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I also have a very old Rem M10 and the trigger got to where you didn't close the action very hard or it would go off. A friend had a Win 97. One day four of us buddies had got out of our car headed to a bend in the river where we saw a few ducks. Herb and I were in the front about 8 to 10 feet apart when a kaboom and the dirt flies up between us. We turn and he is stumbling out with "all I did was close the gun like this" and another kaboom and churns up the dirt between us again. All this and his finger was not near the trigger. We figured that was a problem not a feature and made him get another shotgun to hunt with us. So, yeah, triggers do wear out but it does take a good long while.

Ya, my Grampa gave me my first shotgun and it was an Ithaca Mod 37 Featherweight 20g. He told me to make sure I got my finger off the trigger before I jacked another shell in while shooting ducks. Well, young kid, ducks comin in over decoys, gloves, the smell of gunpowder and a wet Chessie and yup, I had my share of slam fires! awww, those were the days RIP Grampa.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

It has always been my belief that al of the Winchester pumps were designed to do that. My Model 12 does it, but then again, it's 79 years old.

I also have a very old Rem M10 and the trigger got to where you didn't close the action very hard or it would go off. A friend had a Win 97. One day four of us buddies had got out of our car headed to a bend in the river where we saw a few ducks. Herb and I were in the front about 8 to 10 feet apart when a kaboom and the dirt flies up between us. We turn and he is stumbling out with "all I did was close the gun like this" and another kaboom and churns up the dirt between us again. All this and his finger was not near the trigger. We figured that was a problem not a feature and made him get another shotgun to hunt with us. So, yeah, triggers do wear out but it does take a good long while.
    The older one Smitty has is past that I think. If you donít shuck it open real hard it doesnít calk, just lets the pressure off slow as you shut it. The bolt is kleen worn out in there, it could be fixed but needs a pile of parts that ainít been made in a day or two and used likley used up too . . . It ainít any cheap fix, more of a full on rebuild type deal.

The other one (a little newer one) isnít bad at all inside, a good deep clean of the petrified grease and it runs pretty good. I like um! Bottom eject, take down, funny little flapper, very well made ole scatterguns!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    It has always been my belief that al of the Winchester pumps were designed to do that. My Model 12 does it, but then again, it's 79 years old.
    Itís more that they werenít designed NOT TO do that. It takes a couple more parts in there to avoid that and it was a future many liked. If your finger is on the trigger you want it to go bang, right? Then along come the lawyers . . .

Not that I think a resetting trigger is a bad thing just that educating people to get their finger off the trigger before closing an action is a better thing. I donít think teaches the importance of that quite as well as an unexpected BOOM and searing pain as the trigger guard tries to rip off the offending digit! At least it educated me pretty well but my Dad was standing right there expecting the lesson, warned me once then watched.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I like the M10 a lot. One of the best things was the bottom eject. It didn't throw the empties out in the pond when duck hunting and made a nice little pile at your feet. The only way I could afford to shoot was to reload and finding good empties in the days of the paper shell wasn't always easy.

Andy fixed up my 357 trigger just fine.

The trigger was, I can't remember just how he described it, a piece broken or flaked off, to where it wasn't smooth anymore. It took a lot of work, and when I asked, he said, he had it off and on about 30 times.

My hat is off to Andy, AGAIN.

I'm sayin that triggers DO wear out if the parts don't fit together well, and apparently these didn't. The trigger did work fine, WITHOUT CREEP for years, but THEN IT HAPPENED.

I can't stand a handgun trigger with creep. I shoot bad enough with a good trigger.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast