Thread: Eureka area hunting

Default Eureka area hunting

I am looking to go north of Eureka about 35-40 miles out. Can anyone tell me about the hunting there, moose, bear both black and brown, sheep and if drawn caribou. Any information would be helpful. Thanks, Ron

Lots and Lots of people, my wife drew that caribou tag the year before last, we took our wheelers, went about 25 miles past monument peak, we ran into people everywhere, also the number of swamp buggies going in there that tear up the trails, and leave large ruts. A few came out with spike fork moose and some caribou though. I didn't see anything big....To give you an idea how many people in there, you will see over a hundred trucks and trailers, and camps near the Glenn HWY. ( both sides)

Yep, what kahahawai says reflects what I see when I drive by there...and keep on driving due to the crowds. I grew up hunting back there. I have a picture of myself as a 3 month old curled up in the bottom of a Cushman tractor just past the Little Nelchina River. I would love to replicate that experience for my children, but it will happen elsewhere (and has). It's not that it's a bad place to go - certainly check it out at some point - but you will not be alone during hunting season. Still, it's probably the first place I'd look if I had a Tier I caribou tag and could hunt the August 10th opener. In recent years that area has been crawling with caribou on the 10th, though with the crowds those groups of animals have dispersed quickly after the shots started to fly.

Assuming you are talking about Eureka Lodge area and not Eureka Community.

Wouldn't be a bad place to go for black & brown bear early in the season before the ENORMOUS crowds come in in the fall. I know quite a few people who would point you to good places to knock down the bear population in their areas, which are good eatin in the springtime.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6