Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit 16b Moose Hunt?

Default Unit 16b Moose Hunt?

My father and I are planning to do out first Alaskan (unguided) hunt this fall. We were debating on either doing a brooks range caribou hunt or a moose hunt. We've always kind of had a preference on doing a moose hunt but in most cases is was almost double the price of doing a caribou hunt. In my research I came across a moose hunt that Alaska West Air offers a drop hunt in unit 16b for a very fair price, and I was wondering if anyone had any pros or cons about a unit 16b moose hunt. Any information would be very helpful to us in making our decision.

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ironjohn View Post
    My father and I are planning to do out first Alaskan (unguided) hunt this fall. We were debating on either doing a brooks range caribou hunt or a moose hunt. We've always kind of had a preference on doing a moose hunt but in most cases is was almost double the price of doing a caribou hunt. In my research I came across a moose hunt that Alaska West Air offers a drop hunt in unit 16b for a very fair price, and I was wondering if anyone had any pros or cons about a unit 16b moose hunt. Any information would be very helpful to us in making our decision.

Thanks,
    John
    It's a very fair price because unit 16 has been hunted out. I have a cabin in unit 16, been going there 8 years, have yet to see a legal moose. Every year I run into guys who say they got a moose or, more common, met a guy who says he got a moose. Never actually saw one. That said, someone posted here photos of the moose they got out of unit 16 last season. Much of unit 16 is bear predator control area. Lots of black bears in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    It's a very fair price because unit 16 has been hunted out. I have a cabin in unit 16, been going there 8 years, have yet to see a legal moose. Every year I run into guys who say they got a moose or, more common, met a guy who says he got a moose. Never actually saw one. That said, someone posted here photos of the moose they got out of unit 16 last season. Much of unit 16 is bear predator control area. Lots of black bears in that area.
    You sure? Seems to me the predator control program must have worked because they have two any bull draw permits for 16B this year. The moose numbers must be pretty decent.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Getting off the road system ( drop hunt ) will definitely increase your chances for connecting with a nice bull. Being at the right place at the right time helps as well. I seriously doubt that 16b has been hunted out. If it was me, I would pick up a black bear tag also.

Good luck on your hunt! Wherever you decide to go.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Thanks Fl2ak that's kind of what I was wondering if that's why it was so cheap, Alaska west air claims its cheaper due to the distance from their airport. But Matt I was kind of thinking the same thought as you, I believe they just opened 16b to non residents a couple years ago so I was thinking maybe the moose population has increased. Has anyone else had any experiences with 16b?

Just because they offer any bulls tags and non resident tags DOES NOT mean the moose population is good or where it needs to be at. Unit 13 is a prime example. My cabin is in a arial wolf control area, they also started a the any bull and non res tags along with COW tags. Add the retarded community hunt and I havn't seen a legel moose since 1996. Just the facts..

In the last four years of hunting in 16b, only two bulls have been taken by us or by friends. There was plenty of sign, mostly cow and calf, but over the last two years that has really been dwindling. I think it was either last year or the year before that, when we had such a high snow year in that area, the moose kill from the winter season was very high. Many trappers and other folks who frequented the area commented on the number of winter kills they were seeing. While the population seemed to be coming back, I think that was a huge step back for them.

16b is also a pretty large unit, and it is very dense, so if you decide to hunt there, plan it out wisely. I would also plan for more of a late season hunt in that area as well

Yeah...you would probably have better success on your hunt if you went farther than unit 16.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    ..... over the last two years that has really been dwindling. I think it was either last year or the year before that, when we had such a high snow year in that area, the moose kill from the winter season was very high. Many trappers and other folks who frequented the area commented on the number of winter kills they were seeing. While the population seemed to be coming back, I think that was a huge step back for them.
    I live relatively near 16B and what TMS said above is really spot on from what I saw. In "my" area this year, I was not all that excited about the numbers of moose. Winter before last we had 4 late winter kills (that I found) within a figurative stones throw from our cabin. It was pretty sad seeing moose that were having to resort to scraping the cambium bark off of large willow trees like a porcupine, as all the smaller willow were pretty much buried.

This is the time of year that the moose tend to start showing up around our cabin using the packed down roads and trails for travel due to normally high snow levels. Not this year...it will be interesting to see how all this rain in the snowpack will affect moose...theres still alot of winter to come...

Winter harvest for 16b was the highest it's been in the last 10 years, number of moose killed and success rate... Not sure how you guys are quantifying what you "see".

Per F&G
    2013: 128 killed, 33% success
    2012: 84 20%
    2011: 109 22%
    2010: 97 25%
    2009: 100 23%
    2004: 85 20%
    2003: 99 24%

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Just because they offer any bulls tags and non resident tags DOES NOT mean the moose population is good or where it needs to be at. Unit 13 is a prime example. My cabin is in a arial wolf control area, they also started a the any bull and non res tags along with COW tags. Add the retarded community hunt and I havn't seen a legel moose since 1996. Just the facts..
    Darn those pesky facts! harumph! Yeah you pretty much beat me to it: just because fish and game prints a tag, doesn't mean it's sustainable. After all, isn't their motto something like "...increased hunting opportunities..."

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Winter harvest for 16b was the highest it's been in the last 10 years, number of moose killed and success rate... Not sure how you guys are quantifying what you "see".

Per F&G
    2013: 128 killed, 33% success
    2012: 84 20%
    2011: 109 22%
    2010: 97 25%
    2009: 100 23%
    2004: 85 20%
    2003: 99 24%
    On the first day of my statistics class my professor told the class that there are two types of lies in this world-**** lies, and statistics.

For example: see how low those success rates are? That tells another part of the story. F&G is writing is so many tags for Unit 16 that, heck even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then, you can't help but have a "high" number (in raw terms) of moose harvested. Put enough hunters in the field, and you'll get your return on harvest numbers.

Look at it another way, with a 33% success rate, your odds of harvesting a moose a approximately 2 to 1 against you. (Then again, I wonder how that compares to other GMU's)

I dont know everything there is to know about 16B. I hear the pops have been increasing because of the bear control. I guess in hindsight, I should have kept it to myself, because I'm not even in 16B, near to it, but not in it. And 16B is friggin huge.

So, I cant argue with the harvest statistics, but I can tell you, without a doubt, that the moose pops in my area "near" unit 16B took a hit from that late deep snow winter and seem to be slowly improving. That is in a relatively small area, so sample size may be insignificant, but it is what it is, and thats all that it is.

On the first day of my statistics class my professor told the class that there are two types of lies in this world-**** lies, and statistics.For example: see how low those success rates are? That tells another part of the story. F&G is writing is so many tags for Unit 16 that, heck even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then, you can't help but have a "high" number (in raw terms) of moose harvested. Put enough hunters in the field, and you'll get your return on harvest numbers.Look at it another way, with a 33% success rate, your odds of harvesting a moose a approximately 2 to 1 against you. (Then again, I wonder how that compares to other GMU's)
    The numbers I asked for where the General Season hunts.... the unlimited free tags. I can call them next week to get numbers for 14A in you want a comparison... I only posted these to show that harvest has been steady for the last 10 years.

When the snow was deep 2 winters ago, I found 8 winter kill moose in one weekend. The moose we did see looked weak.

Rumor has it they want to reduce the game and fish populations before a base line count is established. Helps the coal mining companies from Texas that want to mine in numerous areas. House Bill 77 furthers the state helping the outside mining companies.

The move to allow non-res really had me shaking my head. A longer season was next. Then a longer subsistence season. When the any bull permits my came out mind was blown. The moose are nowhere near where they were in the '80's and some of the '90's. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

On the first day of my statistics class my professor told the class that there are two types of lies in this world-**** lies, and statistics.
    Mark Twain popularized the saying in "Chapters from My Autobiography", published in the North American Review in 1906. "Figures often beguile me," he wrote, "particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, ****ed lies, and statistics
    And I knew you were old, but not old enough to have Mark Twain as a statistics professor....

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    And I knew you were old, but not old enough to have Mark Twain as a statistics professor....
    LOL, nooooo, not quite. lol. I'm also not a big fan of Twain's work, but that 1906, turn of the century era, to me, had to be one of the best times to live on the earth, especially in Alaska.

There is a for profit corporation that has been baiting and killing bears in 16b for several years and now they can reap the fruits with non resident hunters and trespass fees for any bull permit holders. Look at the permit area map all in southern part of 16b I don't think its coal miners, but bear and moose miners.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default 33% Success?

Man, if you boys think a 33% success rate is low, you should check out some of the elk statistics down here in Colorado. Many of the OTC areas are in the single digits!

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Man, if you boys think a 33% success rate is low, you should check out some of the elk statistics down here in Colorado. Many of the OTC areas are in the single digits!
    You can't compare a moose fall hunt to a winter hunt. In the winter everything is white and moose look like big black spots making them very easy to find by airplane or on snowmobile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast