Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm08 single shot ? Brooks Range Caribou Hunt

Default 7mm08 single shot ? Brooks Range Caribou Hunt

I'm new to this site and I've never hunted or visited Alaska... My buddy and I are planning a hunt for Caribou in the Brooks Range. I'd like to take my T/C Encore 7mm08 as my rifle. I'm very confident that it's a good caliber to bring down a Caribou with no problems. The problem that I'm having is the fact that it's a single shot rifle and I'm thinking that it might not be the best action choice for hunting in Alaska bear territory.... The gun is the perfect size to hike around for miles but I'm just not sure about having one shot and a longer reload time if I had to defend my life. Any thoughts about using a single shot rifle while hunting is Alaska?

Thanks

Lots of folks up here use TCs, bears in the Brooks are hunted so they tend to leave you alone once they get your scent. Practice good bear procedures and keep a clean camp that rifle will be fine.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Here is another fairly recent thread that addresses some of what you are asking about. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=single+shot

I have taken 2 caribou at 300 yards with a .243 new England Firearms single shot. a 7MM will do just fine. I have hunted with single shot for years so I'd go for it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

We left the magazines for my daughter's .308 back at home so it was a single shot...

Agreed, a single shot will be just fine for hunting, but bring a big bowie knife for the close grizzly combat in the tent

Like the others have said, that rifle should be just fine for your intended target. While bear encounters are rare, they can happen even to the most prepared people. If you are still concerned with bear protection and not comfortable with a single shot rifle being your solution, you can always carry a pistol (.44, .454, .460, .500, etc..) to supplement the rifle. I guess part of the question would be what is your buddy going to carry and would that suffice as a backup?

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    We left the magazines for my daughter's .308 back at home so it was a single shot...
    Haha! I wonder how many times people have done that!
    I guess if I ever really want a single shot rifle, I'll just pick my favorite gun and leave the magazine at home.
    (just a joke single guys... don't get your nickers in a twist).

After a trip up there hunting bou, bear, and sheep, I would only take a repeating rifle of some kind. I have a 25.06 in ruger #1 that I would take because she's a shooter, but being charged by an old sow and taking 7 rounds (not all hit her - 2 shooters with .338wm) to put her down makes me think I'll stick with my bolt action and in a 300wm as a minimum. That said - the likelihood of that happening again is pretty small.

She started at 208 yards - when she saw us she stood up - sniffed the air and dropped into a full on gallop to us. She died at 71 yards (somewhere in there anyway) and was taking 12 foot strides between her paws with each bound. She was a smallish 7 footer 22 years old.

If I took a single shot - I'd take some pepper spray too.

Lots of single shot fans hunting up here without incident and a good friend of mine hunts with little else. I recently got a 7-08 and think it's a great caribou cartridge- bet that it a really easy carrying and easy shooting piece.

If you follow good camp hygiene and bear country camping protocol you are unlikely to have an issue.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Nothing wrong with the caliber. My son required two warmup shots due to being a nervous first time shooter. He connected on the third with a double lunger that droped the bull in place. The caribou patiently waited over 5 minutes while my son repositioned and found a steadier prone position. I'm sure a single shot would not have made a difference. lol

You should be just fine, besides you said you'll be hunting with a friend, what's he shooting. Are you doing the hunt on your own or is it guided?

Thanks for all the great posts!! My buddy will be most likely taking a bolt action .308 or he's thinking about his Rem model 7 .260.. After reading all of posts I'm not confident that I'll be fine with the single shot. We are talking about doing the electric fence for around our camp etc. Plus maybe we'll bring a shotgun for at camp. I may carry a sidearm although that means I'll have to buy another one because the largest that I have is a .357 Owning more guns is never a bad thing though right.

Wags -- We'll be hunting unguided and it looks like we'll be using Brooks Range Aviation as our transporter in Bettles, AK

Thanks again for the comments and I'm sure I'll be posting more questions as we continue to plan for this hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by waterfowler007 View Post
    Thanks for all the great posts!! My buddy will be most likely taking a bolt action .308 or he's thinking about his Rem model 7 .260.. After reading all of posts I'm not confident that I'll be fine with the single shot. We are talking about doing the electric fence for around our camp etc. Plus maybe we'll bring a shotgun for at camp. I may carry a sidearm although that means I'll have to buy another one because the largest that I have is a .357 Owning more guns is never a bad thing though right.

Wags -- We'll be hunting unguided and it looks like we'll be using Brooks Range Aviation as our transporter in Bettles, AK

Thanks again for the comments and I'm sure I'll be posting more questions as we continue to plan for this hunt.
    IMO the expense of a new side arm (and the poundage of carrying it) are not necessary. It's been said before but now again, behavior has more to do with bear encounters than how many shots you have in your gun. You'll be good to go, enjoy carrying your single.

Something to consider is that a charging grizzly is nothing but a blur, so you'd be lucky to get off a second shot anyway. I acknowledge that a big firearm gives a person quite a psychological boost, but as much as I hate to admit it, in the event of a real charge a can of bear spray is probably more effective at stopping a bear. There's actually been some credible research done on the subject. If you choose to go the bear spray route, don't buy it at home and try to bring it on the plane. Wait until you get to Alaska and are done with your airline travel.

Bear spray is NOT allowed on bush planes, the only ones I know that will fly it are the ones that can out it in the floats. So any flights on bush wheels will rule that put. An accidental discharge in a plane would be catastrophic.
    Last edited by stid2677; 01-24-2014 at 13:56.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Bear spray is NOT allowed on bush planes, the only ones I know that will fly it are the ones that can out it in the floats. So any flights on bush wheels will rule that out. An accidental discharge in a plane would be catastrophic.
    That's a good point. The hunter should check with his air taxi service directly about that. I know of wheel planes that have external pods and other methods of flying items like bear spray, stove fuel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Bear spray is NOT allowed on bush planes, the only ones I know that will fly it are the ones that can out it in the floats. So any flights on bush wheels will rule that put. An accidental discharge in a plane would be catastrophic.
    Sorta true. Most charter operations have some method of transporting bear spray, including quite a few of the wheeled guys. Either externally (floats or belly pod), or internally in a sealed airtight can of some type. I've seen ammo cans used. It's absolutely a case of "check with the operator first" though.

Yk

I plan to get a can if bear spray from our outfitter/transporter. They sell them or they'll even rent a can for the hunt. I probably won't take a side arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good idea. Between two high powered rifles and a can of bear spray….if you can't deter a bear the handgun is unlikely to make a difference.

If you have the room and weight, a shotgun with a handful of slugs might be handy. Particularly since you might get into some great bird hunting while you're at it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast