Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 1k range

Default Looking for a 1k range

Anybody know a good place to shoot out to a thousand yards? I spent last summer in an old gravel pit shooting at 600yds with my M1A. I do like that rifle. Well I just picked up a Remington 700 5R .308 and this gun is shooting way sub-MOA at 200yds. Sheíll be happy at 600, but my goal for this rifle is to shoot a decent group at a 1000. I live in Portage Valley and donít mind driving an hour or 3 an ether direction.

Never mind. I found it. The range on the Parks is pushing a range out to a grand. SWEET!!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    Anybody know a good place to shoot out to a thousand yards? I spent last summer in an old gravel pit shooting at 600yds with my M1A. I do like that rifle. Well I just picked up a Remington 700 5R .308 and this gun is shooting way sub-MOA at 200yds. Sheíll be happy at 600, but my goal for this rifle is to shoot a decent group at a 1000. I live in Portage Valley and donít mind driving an hour or 3 an ether direction.
    How much are you going to shim up your scope bases?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I heard rumor that Snowshoe here in Kenai is pushing theirs out further, didn't hear how far. It is currently 600 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I heard rumor that Snowshoe here in Kenai is pushing theirs out further, didn't hear how far.
    Along with the price of membership too.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Along with the price of membership too.......lol
    No kidding, I'm skeptical that the percentage increase in range will match the percentage increase in membership cost...

Smitty of the North, I have a 20MOA base, but my glassis a NightForce Velocity 1000 so I donít need to do a much turret adjustments. I do need to start improving my skills and just use the center crosshairs and learn more about bullet drop with the rounds Iím using.
    Once I get proficient at a thousand, I want to get out to a mile. These mile shots will be just for fun, not hunting purposes. Iím going to need to up the caliber. Iím using a Remington 700 5R in .308 and things are looking good for a thousand, but a mile with a .308 is going to be really tuff for me. Iím thinking about a .300 WM or a .338 Lapua when itís time for the jump. What do guys think .300 WM or 338 for those mile shots? Keep in mind that this will not be just a target gun. I us my guns to hunt and will never have just a target gun and Iím not going to try to drop a moose at a mile, even if given the opportunity.

300wm will be cheaper to shoot, but Sportsmans had a couple 338L for sale not too long ago...Personally, I would get the 300

Is there a place in Alaska to shoot a mile? How big of a target do you put up for 1 mile shooting? That would be interesting to watch!

I think at ft greely they host matches that are a grand and they allowing shooting past that. Gunbugs might know the answer. I think he shoots with the group that does it or knows them.
    Henry Bowman for President

Never mind. I found it. The range on the Parks is pushing a range out to a grand. SWEET!!!
    I'm also want to shoot 1k, where is this ranch on the park (rabbit creek park ?) Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AK 49 View Post
    I'm also want to shoot 1k, where is this ranch on the park (rabbit creek park ?) Thanks

The range at mile 93 on the Parks Hwy (give or take a mile) There working on pushing it out to a 1000. Its at 600 now, but there still working on it.

Smitty of the North, I have a 20MOA base, but my glassis a NightForce Velocity 1000 so I donít need to do a much turret adjustments. I do need to start improving my skills and just use the center crosshairs and learn more about bullet drop with the rounds Iím using.
    Once I get proficient at a thousand, I want to get out to a mile. These mile shots will be just for fun, not hunting purposes. Iím going to need to up the caliber. Iím using a Remington 700 5R in .308 and things are looking good for a thousand, but a mile with a .308 is going to be really tuff for me. Iím thinking about a .300 WM or a .338 Lapua when itís time for the jump. What do guys think .300 WM or 338 for those mile shots? Keep in mind that this will not be just a target gun. I us my guns to hunt and will never have just a target gun and Iím not going to try to drop a moose at a mile, even if given the opportunity.
    So, will this rifle be dedicated, for 1000 K PLUS, or will you have enough adjustment to still use it at NORMAL ranges?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Yes, I will still be able to use it at normal ranges.

Do you mean the Talkeetna range???

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Do you mean the Talkeetna range???
    It's the USSA. (Upper Susitna Shooters Association) range. They've been working on a 1K yard distance.

http://susitnashooters.org/

I can't give you a mileposrt, but it's on the right, before, but not too far from the Talkeetna Cutoff.

Contact info is on the Website, and they can tell you.

It's a Good range, and a Good bunch of people are running the place.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I've honestly have never shot there. I'm always driving a motorhome or truck/trailer and the parking looks really tight there and they seem to have some bizarre hours.

Come on Smitty. I shot my .45 Long Cold redhawk over the holidays at a club in Butte Montana - at 500 yards and could occasionally hit the 40 inch gong with it. I had to use a little bit of Kentuck windage on it though.

I shot the 30" gong at 400 yards with my granddad's 1896 model 94 Winchester 30.30 and could hit it better than every other time - offhand open sight.

I am pretty sure that I could hit a 50 inch gong at 1000 yards off of sticks with my .300 or my .338 better than 50% of the time. I wouldn't bet a whole lot of dollars on that 50% though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Come on Smitty. I shot my .45 Long Cold redhawk over the holidays at a club in Butte Montana - at 500 yards and could occasionally hit the 40 inch gong with it. I had to use a little bit of Kentuck windage on it though.

I shot the 30" gong at 400 yards with my granddad's 1896 model 94 Winchester 30.30 and could hit it better than every other time - offhand open sight.

I am pretty sure that I could hit a 50 inch gong at 1000 yards off of sticks with my .300 or my .338 better than 50% of the time. I wouldn't bet a whole lot of dollars on that 50% though.....
    That's Nuthin.

They do better'n that down in Texuzz, all the time.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Yes sir, but we was just plinkin. Weren't tryin hard now.

My wife's pappy - he's won the BPCR Nationals a time or two - now that fella can shoot, but he doesn't do it as much as he used to.

Didja know that you kin fit 3 Texans into one Alaskan? Just got to let a Griz bar eat em first - he'll spit em right back out then an Alaskan can eat em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast