Thread: Finger Lake today

Default Finger Lake today

My second time ever ice fishing, went out to finger lake. I was there from about 10:00 am to 3:00 on and caught one 6 inch rainbow. Going to go back out tomorrow morning, maybe I can get some tips from the forum? I was in between the two islands, maybe 50 yards off the smaller one. Water was probably 6 feet deep. Should I be deeper? I could see fish down there but they just peck at my hook a little and than leave, would never actually take it. Seemed like the best luck was on a pink ratso with a orange salmon egg on there. I was using a fairly small hook since they seemed to just be pecking, is that right? As far as Jigging motion, I was going up and down for a whole, than I'd kindve bounce the lure, than I'd spin the line between my thumb and index finger. Just kept mixing up the motions. Or should I just stick to one motion? Any advice would be appreciated.

I just got started a week ago and we caught quite a bit more than that in about 15' of water using shrimp. Hit up the ADF&G website and check out the topo map for the lake. I would consider trying different depths to see where you have the most luck.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. My thought was maybe drilling 4 or 5 holes tomorrow morning. Each getting a little deeper and see what that does. Were you just using the little frozen shrimp and a split shot? Do you jig bait at all or just let it hang a foot or so off the bottom?

try fresh shrimp go to Cars / Fred's an buy just what you want fresh is better I think . use pices on a small hook , after saying thay
    hard wear will get bigger fish , [ on the average ] SID

Use two hole and two lines.

Line 1: I would go shallow and dead stick a shrimp/egg combo a couple inches just off the bottom.

Line 2: in close proximety, try jigging a small white tube or crappie jig style plastic or bait. alternate you jigging motion, micro jigging when the fish come in if you can see them. example http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ...mic-pulse-tube
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

January is the worst month for ice fishing for all species. The fish become lethargic and finicky. All of the advice mentioned is good. Look at the lake map and find the transitions (dropp offs). I would start in 6-8 feet of water and drill multiple holes on the drop off and end at around 16 feet of water. Lately in most local lakes, I've noticed they prefer cured salmon eggs to shrimp 5:1. As mentioned, use two rods and deadstick one rod while hoping from hole to hole with the other. Lately, I've been letting my offering sit on the bottom for 4-5 seconds and SLOWLY lift a few inches to feel any weight. If you feel weight, set the hook. If you do not feel any weight settle it back on the bottom and repeat. Personally, I would really focus your efforts on a drop off between 13-17 feet of water for a variety of species. Since the fish are pretty lethargic now, spoons are not as effective as more simple offerings. Use small jigs or plain jig heads tipped with cured salmon eggs or shrimp or both. DO NOT USE BIG PIECES OF BAIT. Ring finger or pinky finger nail size.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Awesome, thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated. Where is a good place to find a detail of the lake. They have a very basic one on adfg website. Doesn't really show much. Is there a good place online, or maybe some maps you can buy at sportsmans or something?

I know three rivers have some of those maps that have alot more detail. I have also seen them at Fred's. I use aero jigs and small tube jigs normally around 14 feet of water. I see alot of people fish the back side of the big island we fish a point on the main shore on the back side of that big island and do fairly well

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I'm not much of an ice fisherman but I live on Finger Lake and years ago the Elks Lodge used to have an ice fishing derby. At that time the hot spot always seemed to be across the lake from us on the south end of the lake. I was told there is a spring that flows under the ice and guys said the winning fish came from there most years. No one seems to fish there anymore though. It's not hard to find, if you come out of the Elks lodge turn right and go across the lake and down the "finger". There's a lone house on the right side, go about 100 yards past where the road comes down to the lake and fish about 30 yards off shore.

They are pretty lethargic. We only managed stocked chinooks. Go tiny for those. They are small but tasty!

I was in about 8ft of water off one of the islands. We would have only caught a quarter of them had we not had the camera down. I would have moved but the kids wouldn't let me as they were just happy hauling up the little ones and watching "tv". Lol. There are some super nice rainbows in that lake though. But this last time was the first time I've ever ice fished the lake. I've had some nice catches in open water. I posted this somewhere I'm sure but couldn't remember which post and couldn't find it. Easier to repost.
    http://youtu.be/jtJamhthDq8

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

This PDF had a bit better bathymetrics maps. I use it now and then when exploring new areas.
    www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/fedaidpdfs/RIR.2A.2000.23.pdf

How was the ice out there? Is there still snow on top? Is there any standing water? I have only ice fished it a few times but have always caught a bunch of landlocks on cooked shrimp. I know a lot of people like the back side of the big island. I like a spot past it near that point across form the back side of the island. In about 10-12 ft water. As said before try 2 holes and 2 different methods of fishing. Good luck.
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

Any update on the ice, and how the warm weather is affecting it?
    The Reel Turner!!

I just got back from round 2. Much better luck this time around. Deeper this time and used little chunks of shrimp. Caught maybe 20 littler ones. 8-10 inches. Kept two of the bigger ones to fry up for lunch. Heading back out tomorrow, to try and find those bigger ones. The ice is about 18" deep. It's wet... Lots of standing water. Really slippery. Recommend cleats if you're walking around out there. Trucks are driving around out here, I just didnt feel comfortable driving a 1 ton diesel out here. I just pulled a sled.