Thread: Colt 1851 vs Remington Navy 1858

Default Colt 1851 vs Remington Navy 1858

Have been interested in a percussion pistol for some time and was headed in the direction of the 1851 Colt Navy (Uberti) but now taking a second look at the Remington Navy 1858 (also the Uberti version) because it seems a safer gun. I know I want a 36 cal. and think the Uberti brand might be a good gun for the money but not sure which version might be best for me. Seems like I would have to keep an empty chamber on the Colt if I packed it in a holster and the Remington would be a stronger frame but kind of like the look of the Colt. Any thoughts?

I have a Remington and like it, you don't have to worry about the wedge like you do in the colt.

remington has stronger frame,but chhamber strength is about the same in both. with the percusion pistoles you don't have to leave an empty chamber like in a 73 colt as the percusion modles have a safty notch for the hamer to set in between chambers.

Got the Remington for the reasons listed above but will probably get the Colt 1851 Navy (Uberti version) as well when I stumble across a good deal. Still love the look of it. And anything that goes bang and throws a lot of smoke is always fun.

Wound up getting the 1851 colt as well but in the Pietta version. After reading about the differences over the internet, sounded to me like the fit and finish of Pietta has gotten better as of late so might as well take advantage of slight price difference - especially now that Cabelas is in Anchorage. Bought on line and took advantage of sale prices (that are not offered in store) and have it shipped to the store for free.
    I think a few more people in Alaska might be interested in black powder pistols since Cabelas moved up north. Noticed quite a few folks playing with the guns on display. Only limiting factor might be trying to find black powder in Alaska.