Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Dwarf Dolly Varden

  1. #1
    Member Hoyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,154

    Default Dwarf Dolly Varden

    Ive been doing a bunch of research, but not finding as much info as Id like. I'm interested in catching some dwarf dolly varden here in the interior. If anyone is willing to share some information I would appreciate it. PM me if you would like to share some info!
    Thanks.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

  2. #2
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Pick up the highway angler or Scott Haugens Fly Fishing Guide to Alaska. I think the creek mentioned in that book is the one right outside of Healy. Penquinque I think it's called? Never targeted them myself, good luck.

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  3. #3
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Good tool is Interactive mapping for fish in Alaska found here:

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ry.interactive

    My limited amount of reading suggest that not many "dawf" dolly version are present North of the Alaska Range, although apparently they exsist. Seems to me a person would need to count vertabrate and or DNA test to actually confirm which version caught. The dawf is a resident form of the fish not anadromous.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  4. #4
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Big CoX:

    I think its a char? LMAO
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  5. #5
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Big CoX:

    I think its a char? LMAO
    HAHA! I think it was a char?
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  6. #6
    Member BlueMoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rifle River MI
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Yes I think your correct

    LOL you two. That being said all creeks that flow in and out the Nenena "Might have them" Easy way to find the fishing is go to the rest stop "some people call it bear creek" however it is not Bear creek is prior from Fairbanks and or after from Healy. You will also find them in numbers in Windy Creek and P. Creek as mentioned.

    have fun bring your snow shoes!

  7. #7
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Hoyt I sent you a PM, but for anyone else interested, a few years ago I fished a few streams between Livengood and Manley Hot Springs. Lots of grayling in the West fork of the Tolovana. I caught a couple char or dolly's (not sure which) in the Hutlinana right by the bridge. One of which was a chrome female, the other was a male exhibiting spawning colors (late august). They were pretty small like 12-14". A 1/2" off white tube jig is what they hit. Another stream close to the Hutlinana I caught a couple pike. That was a fun trip up there. Very quiet and gorgeous little streams!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  8. #8
    Member Hoyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Pick up the highway angler or Scott Haugens Fly Fishing Guide to Alaska. I think the creek mentioned in that book is the one right outside of Healy. Penquinque I think it's called? Never targeted them myself, good luck.

    Fish On!
    I've read somewhere but cant find it again that Penquinque and bear creek near Healy have them. My wife is from Healy and her grandparents ranch (owned by her aunt and uncle now) has a beautiful little clear stream running through it. She said she remembered as kids catching small dollys in the creek. I've tried but have not had much luck.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

  9. #9
    Member Hoyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Thanks for the link, I've used the mapping tool before its cool. Again I appreciate the reminder though! From what I have researched, I agree with you. However, I've had a few conversations with folks who have caught them. I've read, I believe in the highway angler, that Seattle creek off the Denali Highway has Dolly's. I'm fairly certain that there are not a bunch of them out there, but they are there, and I want to add them to my list!

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Good tool is Interactive mapping for fish in Alaska found here:

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ry.interactive

    My limited amount of reading suggest that not many "dawf" dolly version are present North of the Alaska Range, although apparently they exsist. Seems to me a person would need to count vertabrate and or DNA test to actually confirm which version caught. The dawf is a resident form of the fish not anadromous.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

  10. #10
    Member Hoyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    LOL you two. That being said all creeks that flow in and out the Nenena "Might have them" Easy way to find the fishing is go to the rest stop "some people call it bear creek" however it is not Bear creek is prior from Fairbanks and or after from Healy. You will also find them in numbers in Windy Creek and P. Creek as mentioned.

    have fun bring your snow shoes!
    Thanks for the info. I know P. creek and Bear creek, I'm drawing a blank on Windy creek?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

  11. #11
    Member Hoyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Hoyt I sent you a PM, but for anyone else interested, a few years ago I fished a few streams between Livengood and Manley Hot Springs. Lots of grayling in the West fork of the Tolovana. I caught a couple char or dolly's (not sure which) in the Hutlinana right by the bridge. One of which was a chrome female, the other was a male exhibiting spawning colors (late august). They were pretty small like 12-14". A 1/2" off white tube jig is what they hit. Another stream close to the Hutlinana I caught a couple pike. That was a fun trip up there. Very quiet and gorgeous little streams!
    Got your PM. Thanks for the info! I'm goin go to talk with a F&G sport Bio and try to get as much info as I can. Im just working on checking off every fish on my to catch list...which is about evey fish here in Alaska! I've checked off a bunch of them.....the hunt continues. Thanks again
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

  12. #12
    Member Hoyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Ended up digging up this little tid bit.

    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/a.../pdf/sub4r.pdf
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nenana, AK
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I have caugh them in P. Creek. Actually I caught ONE.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern alaska
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Try Clear Cr off the Nenana. Grayling, salmon, dollies....you'll need a boat.... Dollies are hit or miss...

  15. #15
    Member Hoyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Try Clear Cr off the Nenana. Grayling, salmon, dollies....you'll need a boat.... Dollies are hit or miss...
    Do you boat in from Nenana? Can you PM me?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

  16. #16
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Hoyt I sent you a PM, but for anyone else interested, a few years ago I fished a few streams between Livengood and Manley Hot Springs. Lots of grayling in the West fork of the Tolovana. I caught a couple char or dolly's (not sure which) in the Hutlinana right by the bridge. One of which was a chrome female, the other was a male exhibiting spawning colors (late august). They were pretty small like 12-14". A 1/2" off white tube jig is what they hit. Another stream close to the Hutlinana I caught a couple pike. That was a fun trip up there. Very quiet and gorgeous little streams!
    That size is a monster in many creeks. Dwarf dollies, sometimes called yellowfin, generally average 7 to 9 inches, with a monster being 12 inches. Wasilla Creek is a good one for small resident dollies

  17. #17

    Default

    "dwarf" dollies (ive always called them gold fin) can be found in alpine lakes in the chugach state park. Or any high alpine lake for that matter. I have caught lots of them out of Long Lake (north fork of Campbell creek) and they are also present in Ship LAKE. Both of those lakes take lots of hiking to get to but if you are there anyway its fun to bring along a rod.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •