Thread: Dwarf Dolly Varden

Default Dwarf Dolly Varden

Ive been doing a bunch of research, but not finding as much info as Id like. I'm interested in catching some dwarf dolly varden here in the interior. If anyone is willing to share some information I would appreciate it. PM me if you would like to share some info!
    Thanks.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Pick up the highway angler or Scott Haugens Fly Fishing Guide to Alaska. I think the creek mentioned in that book is the one right outside of Healy. Penquinque I think it's called? Never targeted them myself, good luck.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Good tool is Interactive mapping for fish in Alaska found here:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ry.interactive

My limited amount of reading suggest that not many "dawf" dolly version are present North of the Alaska Range, although apparently they exsist. Seems to me a person would need to count vertabrate and or DNA test to actually confirm which version caught. The dawf is a resident form of the fish not anadromous.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Big CoX:

I think its a char? LMAO
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Big CoX:

I think its a char? LMAO
    HAHA! I think it was a char?
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Yes I think your correct

LOL you two. That being said all creeks that flow in and out the Nenena "Might have them" Easy way to find the fishing is go to the rest stop "some people call it bear creek" however it is not Bear creek is prior from Fairbanks and or after from Healy. You will also find them in numbers in Windy Creek and P. Creek as mentioned.

have fun bring your snow shoes!

Hoyt I sent you a PM, but for anyone else interested, a few years ago I fished a few streams between Livengood and Manley Hot Springs. Lots of grayling in the West fork of the Tolovana. I caught a couple char or dolly's (not sure which) in the Hutlinana right by the bridge. One of which was a chrome female, the other was a male exhibiting spawning colors (late august). They were pretty small like 12-14". A 1/2" off white tube jig is what they hit. Another stream close to the Hutlinana I caught a couple pike. That was a fun trip up there. Very quiet and gorgeous little streams!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Pick up the highway angler or Scott Haugens Fly Fishing Guide to Alaska. I think the creek mentioned in that book is the one right outside of Healy. Penquinque I think it's called? Never targeted them myself, good luck.

Fish On!
    I've read somewhere but cant find it again that Penquinque and bear creek near Healy have them. My wife is from Healy and her grandparents ranch (owned by her aunt and uncle now) has a beautiful little clear stream running through it. She said she remembered as kids catching small dollys in the creek. I've tried but have not had much luck.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Thanks for the link, I've used the mapping tool before its cool. Again I appreciate the reminder though! From what I have researched, I agree with you. However, I've had a few conversations with folks who have caught them. I've read, I believe in the highway angler, that Seattle creek off the Denali Highway has Dolly's. I'm fairly certain that there are not a bunch of them out there, but they are there, and I want to add them to my list!

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Good tool is Interactive mapping for fish in Alaska found here:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ry.interactive

My limited amount of reading suggest that not many "dawf" dolly version are present North of the Alaska Range, although apparently they exsist. Seems to me a person would need to count vertabrate and or DNA test to actually confirm which version caught. The dawf is a resident form of the fish not anadromous.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    LOL you two. That being said all creeks that flow in and out the Nenena "Might have them" Easy way to find the fishing is go to the rest stop "some people call it bear creek" however it is not Bear creek is prior from Fairbanks and or after from Healy. You will also find them in numbers in Windy Creek and P. Creek as mentioned.

have fun bring your snow shoes!
    Thanks for the info. I know P. creek and Bear creek, I'm drawing a blank on Windy creek?

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Hoyt I sent you a PM, but for anyone else interested, a few years ago I fished a few streams between Livengood and Manley Hot Springs. Lots of grayling in the West fork of the Tolovana. I caught a couple char or dolly's (not sure which) in the Hutlinana right by the bridge. One of which was a chrome female, the other was a male exhibiting spawning colors (late august). They were pretty small like 12-14". A 1/2" off white tube jig is what they hit. Another stream close to the Hutlinana I caught a couple pike. That was a fun trip up there. Very quiet and gorgeous little streams!
    Got your PM. Thanks for the info! I'm goin go to talk with a F&G sport Bio and try to get as much info as I can. Im just working on checking off every fish on my to catch list...which is about evey fish here in Alaska! I've checked off a bunch of them.....the hunt continues. Thanks again

Ended up digging up this little tid bit.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/a.../pdf/sub4r.pdf

I have caugh them in P. Creek. Actually I caught ONE.

Try Clear Cr off the Nenana. Grayling, salmon, dollies....you'll need a boat.... Dollies are hit or miss...

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Try Clear Cr off the Nenana. Grayling, salmon, dollies....you'll need a boat.... Dollies are hit or miss...
    Do you boat in from Nenana? Can you PM me?

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    That size is a monster in many creeks. Dwarf dollies, sometimes called yellowfin, generally average 7 to 9 inches, with a monster being 12 inches. Wasilla Creek is a good one for small resident dollies

"dwarf" dollies (ive always called them gold fin) can be found in alpine lakes in the chugach state park. Or any high alpine lake for that matter. I have caught lots of them out of Long Lake (north fork of Campbell creek) and they are also present in Ship LAKE. Both of those lakes take lots of hiking to get to but if you are there anyway its fun to bring along a rod.