Thread: Shrimp pot question.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Default Shrimp pot question.

Reading the Alaska Regs on shrimp pot construction for SE Alaska it says
    "No tunnel eye opening may exceed 15 inches in perimeter" is the tunnel eye the large end or the small end? I am looking at some pots down here used that have a big end on the tunnel that is over 15" they are legal for the Hood Canal in Wa but if I buy them I want to use them for my trip to Ketchikan.

The way the pots are constructed is they are rectangular and on 2 sides they have tunnels that span the entire side forming a inverted "V" to a narrow opening. I hope that makes sense.
    Thanks Mike

Default Pot pic

Here is a picture of the pot.

Default Shrimp Pots

The opening being referred to is the actual area the shrimp can get into the pot. The reason for the regulations is to prevent the use of shrimp pots with small mesh to catch crab species.

A new law regarding escape panels in pots with rigid mesh became effective Jan 1st, 2007. You will want to check with ADFG and get the exact wording of the new law.

I contacted AF&W today they said they would be OK the 15" eye is the end that enters the pot I was told the reason for the restriction is so people don't use shrimp pots for crab.
    Mike