Thread: Tanana flats moose RM764 report

Default Tanana flats moose RM764 report

We waited for daylight to cross the Tanana. The Tanana crossing was solid. We navigated up the Little Delta River pretty easily. The river was not wind blown and in great shape (best I have ever saw). We did have to navigate a bit of overflow in fog filled air. 2 1/2 hours from the Birch Lake parking area and we were in the hunt zone. 30 minutes into the hunt area we were able to climb to high ground and glass the mountain slopes. 20 minutes of glassing ended with 13 moose spotted. Off the mountain we went. 1/2 mile from our spotting knob we spotted our target and the hunt was over.

The warm temps had overflow everywhere on our way out. Some was not a problem, but a lot made us change our route out.

Word of caution--when I reported this morning--the lady told me a few moose had been harvested outside of the hunt area in Dry Creek. These moose counted against the quota. Do not shoot moose in Dry Creek. It is outside of the hunt area.

We ran into other hunters who followed our tracks in up the Little Delta. They said the Little Delta was way easier and faster than Dry Creek. They had entered this area from Dry Creek for numerous years in a row. I have never entered from Dry Creek--their words-not mine.

We saw only one set of wolf tracks and one set of fox tracks.

We saw about 50 caribou. The moose for the most part, were as high as or above the caribou--as expected.

There was a lot of folks running the west side of the West Fork. We had the entire east side of the West Fork Little Delta to ourselves.

There is only about 1 1/2 feet of snow in the mountains. In the trees there is about 3 feet.

I expect the hunt to end soon with the warm temps this week and the number of rigs parked by the road.

Good luck and happy hunting. Hopefully this will help someone fill their freezer.

Couple of additional points.

1. This is NOT a day hunt unless you are extra ordinarily lucky and like running overflow in the dark. Bring the Arctic Oven and plan on using it

2. Conditions on the river can change very fast with warm weather or wind. Don't count on your trail in being still good on the way out.

3. Expect to get wet to some degree.

YK

Yellowknife is spot on with everything he pointed out.

We spent the night. Overflow in the day is not fun and not on my list-o-stuff to do during the night.