Thread: Spear hunting

Default Spear hunting

I am wondering where in the regulations it talks about the use of spear hunting over bait. I am in unit 6D. Also if anyone has any ideas for how to go about it without getting killed, I would love to know them. As it stands now, I am thinking, if legal, to position a platform in a tree about 7-8 feet of the ground over a bait pile. Thank you for any help.

Like this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfmOzW1KEKA

13:30 for shot or "spear".

One of the Huntington brothers (Sidney?) books has an in depth close up on the traditional way to take a bear with a spear. Fascinating reading I thought. Its almost written as a how to. The other brother's book barely covers it.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    One of the Huntington brothers (Sidney?) books has an in depth close up on the traditional way to take a bear with a spear. Fascinating reading I thought. Its almost written as a how to. The other brother's book barely covers it.
    That was a great read! Think I would prefer to see someone else do it that way before I went out and tried it.

Have a friend that speared on from his bait stand. He used to post on this forum. I watched the video, it was pretty neat!

I have a friend in Soda Springs, Idaho that speared a bear. He used a weighted spear with a long sharp blade and placed his stand directly over the bait.

Cold Steel makes a few spears including a Boar Spear which is pretty gnarly. I have always wanted to hunt with an atlatl but haven't done so.
    I have killed numerous feral hogs with a knife in TX but using a spear for a bear is a whole different world! I bow to you for trying it!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskatrevor View Post
    I am wondering where in the regulations it talks about the use of spear hunting over bait. I am in unit 6D. Also if anyone has any ideas for how to go about it without getting killed, I would love to know them. As it stands now, I am thinking, if legal, to position a platform in a tree about 7-8 feet of the ground over a bait pile. Thank you for any help.
    Trevor:
    I happen to have 2 of the cold steel spears shown in the video link. If you decide to do this you are welcome to them.
    BEE

I picked up a nice spear blade I got a few years ago, was thinking of trying to spear a blackie across the bay. Never was able to find a decent piece of wood to put it on.. Still looking for an 8-10' hardwood shaft
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/