Thread: Combo trips from Homer vs Seward

Default Combo trips from Homer vs Seward

I've done a late July combo out of Seward and I know it's a pretty safe bet. How does Homer stack up for combos? Kings or silvers, but during June or July.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    I've done a late July combo out of Seward and I know it's a pretty safe bet. How does Homer stack up for combos? Kings or silvers, but during June or July.
    By combo, do you mean halibut plus another species, or a combo of kings and silvers?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    By combo, do you mean halibut plus another species, or a combo of kings and silvers?
    sorry...I meant a halibut/salmon combo. Either silvers or kings, whichever is the better option. I know theres a good winter king fishery out of Homer, I just haven't heard specifics about the what and when of combos during summer. thanks

I think you will do fine in either place for salmon and halibut. It's an even year and there is a good chance (depending on timing) that you may end up fishing in a giant school of pinks in Homer. In Seward there are often ample rockfish and good ling fishing right along side the halbut and salmon spots. My opinion is Homer has way better seas, a shorter boat ride, and generally better halibut fishing, but not always.

I'd stick with Seward if you want silvers in July. The Salmon can be pretty sparse in June and July in Homer unless you want pinks. The King fishing normally turns on later in August and September.

What species is more important to you to catch? Homer might be the better choice for halibut, and I'd give Seward the edge for coho.

That said it comes down what the captain is going to put his effort into concentrating on, and if the weather cooperates to get out to those spots.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Where are you driving from? If you're coming out of Anchorage it's a lot longer drive to the harbor in Homer than Seward. Makes up for the longer cruise to the fish out of Seward. Late July/early August you can get lots of silvers, halibut, rockfish, and ling out of Seward. In a big humpy year the big problem is getting through the humpies to get at the silvers.

We're going to be in both towns this summer, but I was really asking more to understand the options, not so much for this trip.
    I know late July/August is a pretty good bet for silvers in Seward, and I've fishing both ports for butts and done equally well.
    I've just never had a good sense of the salmon trolling options in Homer. Getting into a bunch of pinks doesn't interest me in the least. I'd love to troll kings, going to have to try Kodiak one of these years as I get the sense that's still a pretty untapped fishery....well, less tapped anyway.
    And being from MN., taking a winter trip to Homer to bask in the warmth (45 there this a.m., minus 18 here!) and get into some of those winter feeders is tempting!

Charterboat Operator

We're going to be in both towns this summer, but I was really asking more to understand the options, not so much for this trip.
    I know late July/August is a pretty good bet for silvers in Seward, and I've fishing both ports for butts and done equally well.
    I've just never had a good sense of the salmon trolling options in Homer. Getting into a bunch of pinks doesn't interest me in the least. I'd love to troll kings, going to have to try Kodiak one of these years as I get the sense that's still a pretty untapped fishery....well, less tapped anyway.
    And being from MN., taking a winter trip to Homer to bask in the warmth (45 there this a.m., minus 18 here!) and get into some of those winter feeders is tempting!
    Weather is warm and the Kings are biting!! P.M. me if you like, I just so happen to know some one who knocks the piss out of them!!