Thread: King Crabbing... characteristics of a good spot?

Default King Crabbing... characteristics of a good spot?

I am looking for the attributes of what makes a good king crab place to dump a pot or ring. If I go to a new area what should I be looking for? For example for Halibut you look for high spots on the charts (pinnacles).

Back to King Crab, in the summer I look for trenches in 300', in the later winter spring?

Ideas?

Sobie2

Bays & sounds with productive estuaries/flats. A muddy or soft bottom. Set on the lower part of the slope/edge. In the Summer they are out in the deep at 30-50 fathoms, in the winter (this time of year) They can be anywhere from 100 to 5 feet of water. They come up shallow in the winter to molt. King crab move around so much, I would soak your pot for a week before you count an area out. Keep moving around, you'll find them. Nearly all the bays down here have them; in various locations and concentrations.

I see you're in Juneau. Check out the youtube video of the guy diving on the King crab biomass at the Auk Bay Rec site. They are only in fifteen feet of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post

I see you're in Juneau. Check out the youtube video of the guy diving on the King crab biomass at the Auk Bay Rec site. They are only in fifteen feet of water.
    Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0SDGMqmj08
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Cool video. My wife said she'd be waiting topside with a cooker and a mallot...

Scott

The video reminds me of the dive every year in Whittier in March at Smitty's Cove back in the early 80's. We used to do pretty good with our pots in Passage Canal out a bit further but the crab were gone by the time of the Exxon Valdez. Wonder if the king crab ever returned to the area?