Thread: Yukon trip

Default Yukon trip

Good evening everyone. I'm currently shopping for a boat and am thinking about driving it to my village instead of barging it. It'll be a 16' Jon with a 35 hp 2 stroke. I believe my options will be to either put in near galena? Or tanana? Or at the bridge. I'm a good ways down the river (holy cross). Anyhow what gas consumption might be? Roughly? Or would it be cheaper to barge? If the cost would be about the same ill float it b/c that would be more fun than barging. Unless wife tells me no. I'm a man, but a happy wife=happy me.

If you ran at 30 miles per hour .... you could make it from the Yukon bridge to Galena in 10 hours. Using the one gallon per hour for ten horse power rule ...... you could burn around 35 gallons for that leg. Don't know the river miles from Galena to Holy Cross .... looks like a pretty good run. If I made my wife ride in a flat bottom Jon boat from the bridge to Galena ..... she'd file for divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    If you ran at 30 miles per hour .... you could make it from the Yukon bridge to Galena in 10 hours. Using the one gallon per hour for ten horse power rule ...... you could burn around 35 gallons for that leg. Don't know the river miles from Galena to Holy Cross .... looks like a pretty good run. If I made my wife ride in a flat bottom Jon boat from the bridge to Galena ..... she'd file for divorce.
    1. That is good info to know. I did not know that. But after talking with a guy I work with, who did this ride with a 110, he spent about 200 gallons of gas (but he might have did the trip with a 75 hp motor).

2. Wife won't be doing it. Just me and whoever I can talk into doing it with me. SHe hates the water.

Follow up question:
    Would it be better to travel the Tanana River to the Yukon vs The bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post

Follow up question:
    It might be for someone with Tanana experience .... the river miles are about the same but you could save a lot of road miles not having to drive all the way to the bridge. The Tanana has a reputation for some hazardous stretches .... which scares some away. A 16' Jon boat would get through a lot of tight spots ..... but you should talk to someone that knows the river.

35 gallons to Galena sounds about right.....

We made a trip last fall to the Innoko, I was running a 20 foot rig w/140 and my buddy had a 20 foot open boat w/ 60 hp Yammie.

His two way average was just over 5 MPG, between the bridge and Nulato (342 miles downstream) he averaged 6.8 MPG. This was 2 men with a decent load, your boat with a 35 will be one person traveling light and suspect you could get 8-9 MPG.....? Maybe more, but thats a guess and something you may want to know, and how much do you think you can carry?....

It was just at 500 miles to Shageluk Slough (maybe know as Yukon Slough...?), we crossed over to the Innoko and down to Shageluk for fuel.

You didnt say where you are buying the boat, since you dont need a trailer You might consider the boat shop in Fairbanks, you could also take off from Fairbanks, Nenana, Manley........Its 3 good days to the slough at 30 MPH from the bridge, barring no unforeseen issues. Add another day to Holy Cross.

Quite a trip in a 16 footer....!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    It might be for someone with Tanana experience .... the river miles are about the same but you could save a lot of road miles not having to drive all the way to the bridge. The Tanana has a reputation for some hazardous stretches .... which scares some away. A 16' Jon boat would get through a lot of tight spots ..... but you should talk to someone that knows the river.
    They run barges through Squaw Crossing.......at least in a 16 footer it will be ez to get unstuck.......
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    35 gallons to Galena sounds about right.....

We made a trip last fall to the Innoko, I was running a 20 foot rig w/140 and my buddy had a 20 foot open boat w/ 60 hp Yammie.

His two way average was just over 5 MPG, between the bridge and Nulato (342 miles downstream) he averaged 6.8 MPG. This was 2 men with a decent load, your boat with a 35 will be one person traveling light and suspect you could get 8-9 MPG.....? Maybe more, but thats a guess and something you may want to know, and how much do you think you can carry?....

It was just at 500 miles to Shageluk Slough (maybe know as Yukon Slough...?), we crossed over to the Innoko and down to Shageluk for fuel.

You didnt say where you are buying the boat, since you dont need a trailer You might consider the boat shop in Fairbanks, you could also take off from Fairbanks, Nenana, Manley........Its 3 good days to the slough at 30 MPH from the bridge, barring no unforeseen issues. Add another day to Holy Cross.

Quite a trip in a 16 footer....!
    Believe it or not Holy Cross is right across from that Innoko slough. I would leave my village and cross the Yukon and enter that area where the Innoko and the Yukon meet. The load would be pretty light. It would basically be me and some gas and enough supplies (food, tent, gun) for the trip. I might bring back a little lumber to possibly build a cabin on the boat.
    I kind of forgot about the trailer for the boat. I may just barge it so that I can have the trailer in the village. The boat is around Palmer/sutton area. I would have them drive it up to let me set in.

Yeah, this trip might be way out of my league experience wise. So I'm simply in the possibly planning stages. I really don't want to do it solo either.
    My next question since you guys did it, is what did y'all use for navigation? GPS or maps? I know many of the maps are outdated, but I wouldn't go down with nothing.

I will look into starting the route from those three locations as well.

Believe it or not Holy Cross is right across from that Innoko slough. I would leave my village and cross the Yukon and enter that area where the Innoko and the Yukon meet. The load would be pretty light. It would basically be me and some gas and enough supplies (food, tent, gun) for the trip. I might bring back a little lumber to possibly build a cabin on the boat.
    I kind of forgot about the trailer for the boat. I may just barge it so that I can have the trailer in the village. The boat is around Palmer/sutton area. I would have them drive it up to let me set in.

Yeah, this trip might be way out of my league experience wise. So I'm simply in the possibly planning stages. I really don't want to do it solo either.
    My next question since you guys did it, is what did y'all use for navigation? GPS or maps? I know many of the maps are outdated, but I wouldn't go down with nothing.

I will look into starting the route from those three locations as well.
    Yep, we had considered going all the way to Holy Cross to access the Innoko if water was low in the slough, but the gods were smiling and we saves some 300 miles....

We both had Garmin handhelds w/ mapsource program, and paper charts, but you cant really get lost and the GPS and maps are not going to be that helpful for keeping you off the bottom, the only real potential dangerous spot is the Rampart rapids, which is not all that bad, you just need to hug the south (left) side on the way down. If you put in on the Tanana you will avoid that section........

How will you get the trailer there if you dont barge it...? Seems like it would be about the same cost for trailer or trailer and boat.....call the barge companies in Nenana, Crowley, Yutana and seems like one more?

Or maybe have them haul the trailer with some materials and take a long boat ride.....its all down river......if you have to drift you will still make it to HC........plan for a few extra days....haha It would be a cool trip...
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Yep, we had considered going all the way to Holy Cross to access the Innoko if water was low in the slough, but the gods were smiling and we saves some 300 miles....

We both had Garmin handhelds w/ mapsource program, and paper charts, but you cant really get lost and the GPS and maps are not going to be that helpful for keeping you off the bottom, the only real potential dangerous spot is the Rampart rapids, which is not all that bad, you just need to hug the south (left) side on the way down. If you put in on the Tanana you will avoid that section........

How will you get the trailer there if you dont barge it...? Seems like it would be about the same cost for trailer or trailer and boat.....call the barge companies in Nenana, Crowley, Yutana and seems like one more?

Or maybe have them haul the trailer with some materials and take a long boat ride.....its all down river......if you have to drift you will still make it to HC........plan for a few extra days....haha It would be a cool trip...
    Two options if I did the trip.

1. Sell the trailer on CL.
    2. Have my friend keep it in their yard? If they would, so that I'd have it if I changed rivers location

The trip would be fun I think. I am a novice boater. Never owned my own boat before, but I've been out a little bit and kind of know what to look for. But those sand bars can be a dandy.

I'm currently finding barge prices. Just called Ruby Marine and am waiting to hear back from them.

1. That is good info to know. I did not know that. But after talking with a guy I work with, who did this ride with a 110, he spent about 200 gallons of gas (but he might have did the trip with a 75 hp motor).

2. Wife won't be doing it. Just me and whoever I can talk into doing it with me. SHe hates the water.

Follow up question:
    Running from Nenana to the Yukon is easy.....this leg is 168 river miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Running from Nenana to the Yukon is easy.....this leg is 168 river miles.
    Thanks. How easy to handle? My thinking is to go slow and easy.
    Another question is what is the recommended amount of miles to travel per day?