Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you Getting Anything?

Default Are you Getting Anything?

Hey fellow predator hunters and trappers. Just wondering if anyone is doing any killing or seeing anything. I haven't had much success this year. Populations seem to be down from the last few years. I'm trying new areas and getting back into untouched territory even and I'm still having almost no luck. Post with success stories or lack of success stories. Pictures are always nice too

I have gone into coyote rich areas multiple times this year and haven't seen a thing. I saw tracks once, and after sitting for 45 minutes, we concluded that they might not be moving in -35 degree weather with snow that was 3 feet deep. That was the only sign I have seen all season. Could be good for the rabbit population though.

I haven't called as much this year as last but I haven't even seen much for sign, much less animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only been out once this year (unfortunately), but I called in a coyote on that occasion. Loads of 'yote sign where I was, but not much else. I'll be getting out at least a couple more times in the next month, so I'll let you know what I find.

We went out last weekend to the Squaw Creek area and 'struck out'. However the weather sucked, clouds/fog on the ground and a few inches of fresh snow. We did not see any sign of either predators or prey. Waiting for the weather to get better and hit it again.

Default Fur numbers

I can't comment on fox or coyote but the lynk and marten have crashed in most of the state..................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

After a record year of marten trapping last year in southeast, this year the numbers are at an all time low. Boom and bust though with these marten populations; not unlike Lynx.

I forgot to tell my success story. I have taken one fox this year. Really pretty red guy with all black on his legs and feet from his knees down. 204 sure did a number on him. love that round.

I had sets out for about 2 months and connected on a pair of lynx. also ended up with 30 rats and 1 mink. limited trapping for me as i was only on foot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1185477_483534385100299_1915872815_n.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	76387Im done for the season as populations seem to be down...Attachment 76385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1510932_482288258558245_960030849_n.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	76386
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Couple buddies and I put out a small traspline this year for the first time and have caught one marten, one flying squirrel and a small female wolf. The sign has been hit or miss, seems like the fox and wolves come through every couple weeks or so and the marten and ermine just pop up sporadically here and there. Rabbit sign is the same way. One week next to no tracks and the next tracks all over.

I thought I was the only one with no luck. I have been to the white mountains 4 times this year and haven't seen a thing. I tried sub zero temp days and above zero and sunny days- no luck. The last two years were great but my FoxPro hasn't called in anything but a cow moose this year. Surprised me because she came right up to the FoxPro while it was blaring snowshoe hare in distress. It will be interesting to see if this warmer weather bring out the animals.

Animals have been quite scarce this year all over it sounds. I too have ventured up that way and seen neither hide nor hair of anything. Ive been down almost every drive able surface within a 200 mile radius of fairbanks and have seen 2 fox all year.

Pulled my weasel traps yesterday, afraid I wouldn't have snow much longer to get them. No more weasels, I finished the year with 3 which I'm excited about, I was only working a couple miles and I just wanted a few to hang on the wall. Thinking about trying muskrats in the spring...

Oh yeah, made a couple more stands calling yesterday and couldn't even call a raven!

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    Hey fellow predator hunters and trappers. Just wondering if anyone is doing any killing or seeing anything. I haven't had much success this year. Populations seem to be down from the last few years. I'm trying new areas and getting back into untouched territory even and I'm still having almost no luck. Post with success stories or lack of success stories. Pictures are always nice too
    I ended the season with 1 80# female wolf, 5 coyotes, 2 lynx, 6 beaver, 8 mink, 3 ermine, and a big moose shed!
    Terrible year for trapping but kept after it and did alright.
    -THE ONLY THING CONSISTENT IN TRAPPING IS CHANGE-

Still hoping to get out and set some beaver traps in a couple weeks.

Pulled out my traps for the season, might try some rat trapping this year after the lakes open up. Me and my dad got a couple wolves on Saturday. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolf1.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	77950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolf2.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	77951

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolf3.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	77952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolf4.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	77953

I was visiting a few weeks back with my old High School trapping pard and he did well. He is 62 and farms, so when the crops are in he has ample time to run a good line. He said coon numbers were down ( eastern IL ) and he only took about 45, but he did good on coyotes taking 98! He said he had to throw 17 away due to lice damage. A mutual friend that still traps traveled to Kansas during Nov and Dec to trap coyotes and broke a personal goal of 500! I think he ended with 527 and had to throw 100 away due to lice and mange damage. I don't know how them old boys can put up that many as my body cannot do it. He had one cattle feed lot with 25 sets and took 23 on one trip - now that's one heck of an accomplishment in my book.
    I am glad to see trapping still alive as when I was a kid I was afraid the anti's would end it. Good to all of you still bearing the torch!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	78058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	78059
    Got my first beaver about a week ago and a total of 37 muskrats since Christmas. First season trapping so I'm pretty happy with that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast