Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commercial salmon fishing

Default Commercial salmon fishing

This is kind of a off the wall question. I saw an episode of Shark Tank and there was a lady on there that said she makes 100k in salmon fishing season. She is a one girl operation. Does this pay sound right? I am a guide myself in the panhandle of Florida. I have been thinking of moving to SE Alaska. I'm just a curious thanks for the info in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by BOWADDIC View Post
    This is kind of a off the wall question. I saw an episode of Shark Tank and there was a lady on there that said she makes 100k in salmon fishing season. She is a one girl operation. Does this pay sound right? I am a guide myself in the panhandle of Florida. I have been thinking of moving to SE Alaska. I'm just a curious thanks for the info in advance.
    I'll sell you the Golden Gate bridge, too.

Do you believe ANYTHING you see on reality TV?

Here is an inside look at one reality production.

Was she a drift netter, or seiner? Or a troller, or set netter? Charter outfit or genuine commercial fisherman?

Too vague a description to give a reply to, but as 'Bear stated, it's tee-vee, and Alaska is a hot commodity as of late....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Agreed BrownBear that show is a joke.

My power troll friends can gross 100K a year power trolling. My seiner deckhand friends can gross about 30-100k a year deck handing a seine boat. My drift net friends can gross around 100k a year gross. There is good money there, just have to put in the time and know how to fish. Hand trolling can be profitable too, but myself and my friends only make a handfull since we do it in our spare time (still great money though!)

I think she's a PWS gillnetter, i saw the show also but her name didn't ring a bell with me but so many new folks have bought into the fishery since i got out 3 years ago. 100K sounds good till you start to add in the price of the permit, 220k is the asking price right now for a PWS drift permit and a decent bowpicker will run ya lets say right around 100-150k, another 10 grand for nets and your on your way to making the big money. Oh one other thing I'm sure a guy/girl that has never fished the flats or the sound can just show up plunk down their money and do great in a totally new fisheryAttachment 76374

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

100k is possible for multiple fisheries for salmon. As it was mentioned, it's a big investment to play the game, and it can be rather boom or bust.

Hell, I know some freezer boats that put 100k worth of shrimp aboard in 14 days here in SE.

The key word there is "gross". Ask them net income The ones that have been in for awhile paid off are making money but better figure out your expenses

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    The key word there is "gross". Ask them net income The ones that have been in for awhile paid off are making money but better figure out your expenses
    It takes money to make money. Net income is still very good for these fishermen. Making a decent living on working 3-6 months a year.

yep... been there done it....just saying to the newby lots of expenses getting started!!

there is lots of money for such a shot time of fishing if you look at it a lot of the people go south for the winter I think an it is a lot of work
    but it can be made also SID

I don't know how much the commercial salmon folks make but I know the charter guy I fish with out of Valdez grosses about $200,000-$230,000 a year. I expect he nets about 100,000 and that is for 5 months of work but I can tell you he works **** hard for those bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    there is lots of money for such a shot time of fishing if you look at it a lot of the people go south for the winter I think an it is a lot of work
    but it can be made also SID
    They go south to make money to live on after spending all they made here for expenses or they go south to fish in other fisheries.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks for the input guy's. I have fished Florida all my life so I'm no stranger to boats, tides, fishing, and guiding customers. But Florida is not Alaska. I don't believe there is even one fish that swims in Florida that you can find in Alaska. So I would have to take the time to learn the waters. It would be a fun challenge.

Thanks for the input guy's. I have fished Florida all my life so I'm no stranger to boats, tides, fishing, and guiding customers. But Florida is not Alaska. I don't believe there is even one fish that swims in Florida that you can find in Alaska. So I would have to take the time to learn the waters. It would be a fun challenge.
    There is at least one - albacore - a rare catch in both states.

Big_E

you can make a small fortune fishing in Alaska as along as you start out with a large fortune

just remember they make very good money , but it is a hard life no matter how you look at it SID

Default Commercial salmon fishing

Commercial fishing is like riding a roller coaster. Yeah some years you make 150k, the next you make 50k, the next you make 10k, then you make 100k(gross), and it goes on and on. To many variables play in to how much money you can make ie market price of catch, fish return numbers, changing ocean currents, fuel costs, etc, etc, etc. If you average it out yeah you do alright. Some do exceptionally well but the average is that they make enough to keep their operations going. Saving money when it's good and having it when it's not good is the way you pay your bills. Managing expense and debt is important. Having something to fall back on is key. I used to fish year round now I pick fish on a buddies boat one month a year the rest of the year I work on Tug boats. Regular pay checks are nice! Miss the big pay days though!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

$100k gross or net? There are significant expenses in commercial fishing.

Roadside coffee stands in the right locations make over $100k a year to put things in perspective.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

you bet but that is all year not 3 weeks work like the fishing fleet SID

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast