Thread: Sig AR-15

Default Sig AR-15

My son bought a new Sig AR 15 yesterday. I have never owned one or been around one much. Anything we need to know about them? What do you use to clean them with such as what kind of cleaning rod? What type and how much oil or lube do you need on them? I have never used the rail system for mounting things on, do the screws need loc-tite or just a good tightening. This whole thing is new to me help bring me up to date.

My buddy bought three Sig AR15's last year and had several fail to ejects until he lubed it up. These guns like running wet as I hear (and see). We literally poured 30 wt motor oil into the gun during a one day instruction class with a special forces guy. The gun ran perfect afterwards, but had jammed up 5-6 times prior to that. Read a similar report online and the Sig customer service guy told the customer to lube it up more. Apparently rem oil alone wasn't enough in that particular case. At any rate, if you see any hiccups, lube the gun up more. For scope mounts, I am very happy with the Burris PEPR mount and now have one in 1" and 30mm for my Barnes Precision AR15. Larue makes the best stuff if you want a quick detach mount. I did not so sent my Larue back. Lap the rings and use a small amount of lock tite if you want. I have been changing scopes around lately and not using lock tite. Can't see any signs of rifle not holding zero. But when I settle on one scope, I will use a little lock tite. Out of habit if nothing else. Not a heavy recoil gun obviously. Doubt it will matter much. Lots of fun, the AR's in general. Million accessories and what not. Make it into what ever you want. Put fixed Magpul MOE rifle stock on my target gun. Also dropped in an AR Gold trigger. Tons of upgrades if you address a short coming in your rifle. The BCM charging handle is a very nice upgrade. As is an EOtech. Dewey sells an AR cleaning kit. Check on Brownells or MidwayUSA. Comes with chamber brush and such.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Well sig makes only one AR-15 style rifle. It is called the M400. I've found them to be very good rifles. These take exactly the same care as any of the breed. Find one of the more scientific lubes such as TW-25 or Frog Lube and lubricate the bolt at the rings especially before you start the break-in. I use an Otis flexible cleaning rod and full it thru the way the bullet goes. I think Dan is talking about the Sig 556 rifle, an entirely different breed of rifle with internals similar to the AK-47. Sig also makes a newer design designated the 516 (5.56x45) and 716 (7.62x51) Which of these three do you have? Maybe we should know that before we go any further.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I think it will be the 516 (5.56x45). It is a my son's house now. We plan on shooting it this week as weather and his work permit. Murphy you answered one of my main questions. I did not know weather to go with something like the Otis system or a solid cleaning rod. I'm still looking for more information.

I think I made a mistake. I think it is the M400. I will post it back later when I am sure.

It is the M400.

The m400 is the one I was talking about. Wouldn't run till heavily lubed.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Pick up a bore snake. Depending on how finicky you are about cleaning, you can generally do little more than snake out the barrel when you're done shooting and maybe clean it thoroughly every couple months or so. If you're fanatical about cleaning, which I'm not, use pretty much whatever method to clean you use for any other gun you own. Nothing special really. Lube is important, there are all kinds of choices, the like Dan said, motor oil works pretty well. If you don't want a dripping wet gun, by which I mean literally raining oil on you, your clothes, your stuff, there are purpose made lubes that are more effective, but cost more. Slip 2000, M-Pro 7, etc, etc. They are lubes, but they don't drip like straight motor oil.

I've got a buddy who has the 516. He's been pretty happy with it so far, but it's a slightly different animal.

I'm not an AR expert by any stretch but in late 2012 I picked up a Colt LE6920 and have probably shout around 200 rounds through it since then. One thing I did invest in is a Tipton Best Gun Vise which holds it nicely and allows for easy cleaning. I still have a long way to go in getting familiar with the AR.

It is my opinion that the Sig 516 and 716 are among the very best of their type in an off the shelf rifle. That said I can tell you that I personally have one of each and have used both in various shoots and find them to be top performers. I have not experienced any failures with either caliber. I owned two of the 716 rifles but sold off one to buy this 516. I have the so called patrol version of each now, with the quad rail hand guard. These rifles are not what we would call AR pattern rifles but serve the same purpose. MY 716 is equipped with a Leupold 30mm 1-4x with the SPR reticle, a red dot center with Mil-Rad in dimensions and clicks (.1Mr). I have a bipod for the bottom rail and shoot it at 200 and 300 yard local games and I do well with it and have shot sub MOA with this rifle. MY grandson usually ends up shooting the 5.56 (516) rifle and out shoots me with an Aim Point PRO on top. We shot it the other day with some Mk 262 Mod 1 ammo from BH. From the supported prone (bipod and bag) I was able to shoot a few 1.5" groups at 200 with the PRO. If I use a bulls eye target and center the two minute dot in the middle shots fall in very well. I cannot say enough about this piston driven (the demon scourge of the AR rifles). I am just saying from my personal experience this is one helluva rifle. They are a little heavy with the thick 16" barrel but that seems to help when on a bipod or bag. The gas valve is adjustable for normal, adverse (larger port) suppressed (smaller gas port) and single shot (closed gas port). The rifle is stocked with Mag Pul CTR stock with sling swivel sockets and haas several on the quad and on each side of the receiver. It isn't perfect ergonomically but it is a very good rifle and very reliable. The trigger could be better but that could be said for most rifles in this price range. I think you'll like the rifle and I also fine the 556 series of guns to be very reliable. The Sig 516 is in the $1500 neighborhood, the 556 is about $1100 and the M400, a true AR which I've seen run very well lately is about $800. All worth the price if you want my opinion.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?