Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bullet choice for grizzly over bait in 416 remington mag

Default bullet choice for grizzly over bait in 416 remington mag

I have 4 choices in that I believe are good and will do the job, just wondering thoughts on which would be best . The shot will probably be 25 yards. All bullets are 400 grain at 2400 FPS I am hoping for either a between the shoulder shot or a shoulder shot followed up with more in the boiler room.

The Hornaday DGX bullet in 400 grain is interesting because it is a round nose bullet with the nose flattened for more frontal space and it is supposed to be soft enough to open up but hold together. I like that large surface area.

The Barnes Vortex ammo 400 grain TSX bullet a lot of people swear by them as perfect and other swear they just pencil through.

Then the Swift A frame 400 grain hand loaded to 2400 fps a superb bullet. I have no experience with.

Finally Nosler Partition in 400 grain at 2400 this is what I have been shooting and the gun is very accurate with this load.

Consider getting closer.

I personally would choose the Swift A-frames for Grizzly bear. More penetration and better chance of getting an exit wound so if he does run you get more blood to track. Barnes-X wouldn't be bad either. I personally wouldn't use a nosler partition. The nosler partitions expands too much and the bullet tumbles after impact. Don't know anything about Hornady DGX bullet.

A .416 rem isn't big enough. Use a .700 nitro or go home!

Oků..seriously though a 400 grain bullet traveling at somewhere around 2,300fps of almost any description will have more than enough momentum to penetrate for the desired affect if you place the bullet properly. That said TSX and A Frames are better constructed/retain more mass than partitions. I have heard unfavorable reports on DGX as opposed to Woodliegh. How they compare with TSX or A Frames I'm unaware.

Brett

PS. As far as I'm concerned the ONLY downsides to shooting TSX is the copper fouling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Consider getting closer.
    I think 25 yards is close enough for me.

At those velocities I would lean toward the a-frame or partition. I love the TSX but I'd be a little concerned about getting decent expansion at that speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

personally i would opt for a round nose type like a swift, however i have never had any expanding issues with 400gr tsx even out of my 416 weatherby including a few brown bear and a bison all inside twenty yards.. they all work just fine for what u are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    personally i would opt for a round nose type like a swift, however i have never had any expanding issues with 400gr tsx even out of my 416 weatherby including a few brown bear and a bison all inside twenty yards.. they all work just fine for what u are doing
    +1

You won't have any problems with the TSX not expanding.

Brett

You seriously are asking this question???? You are shooting a .416 Rem mag..... I think whichever bullet you choose is going to do just fine. And at 25 yards you wont need a follow up shot, hell with that round you wont need a follow up shot. At 25 yards that bullet is going to hit harder than a mack truck doing 40 mph and knock a bear off of its feet. You could just as well shoot a smaller caliber at that range and do just as fine.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

A baited bear of any type or size at "25 yards" and you want instructions on bullet size with a .416 Remington Mag? Have you heard about the bridge I have for sale in Brooklyn, New York. I`ll give you one hell of a deal!! Why not set up a Claymore by the bait barrel????

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    I have 4 choices in that I believe are good and will do the job, just wondering thoughts on which would be best . The shot will probably be 25 yards. All bullets are 400 grain at 2400 FPS I am hoping for either a between the shoulder shot or a shoulder shot followed up with more in the boiler room.

The Hornaday DGX bullet in 400 grain is interesting because it is a round nose bullet with the nose flattened for more frontal space and it is supposed to be soft enough to open up but hold together. I like that large surface area.

The Barnes Vortex ammo 400 grain TSX bullet a lot of people swear by them as perfect and other swear they just pencil through.

Then the Swift A frame 400 grain hand loaded to 2400 fps a superb bullet. I have no experience with.

Finally Nosler Partition in 400 grain at 2400 this is what I have been shooting and the gun is very accurate with this load.

Partition!

Quote Originally Posted by alottabs View Post
    A baited bear of any type or size at "25 yards" and you want instructions on bullet size with a .416 Remington Mag? Have you heard about the bridge I have for sale in Brooklyn, New York. I`ll give you one hell of a deal!! Why not set up a Claymore by the bait barrel????
    I didn't ask to be flamed.

I hunt a very dense place and have a friend that shot one at the end of his barrel with a 416 center chest 400 grain A frame. Another person had to shoot it as it fell and got back up. With grizzlies I want to give myself as much security as I can. The other issue is walking in on them at the bait. I have had that happen and bumped into them at 15 yards . I've trailed wounded bears until the job is done and crawling over deadfall looking for where they went in a unpleasant experience. So my original question of which bullet is best is to keep me safe , not have to track and humanely kill the bear. They are a toughen predictable animal especially over a bait with other grizzlies in the area.
    If you have some bullet experience I am willing to listen if not please be polite.

I'd say Aframe personally... although my choice is a 555 grain arrow with a slick trick viper trick at the front coming out of my recurve... just saying.... Hey blackbear, out of curiosity, and you dont have to give me exact gps locations or specifics. but what part of the state are you doing this in?

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Blacbear,
    I`m sorry I let my feelings about baiting get in the way of a legitimate response! I apologize for being out of line. Good luck hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Consider getting closer.
    Plus 1

My last bear I shot at 28 yards with a 300gr A-frame out of a 375 rum. First shot went through the bear the diagonally, in the front shoulder and through the opposite hind, busting both of them.

My second choice would be a tsx, but if somebody where to load me a couple boxes of them I could be convinced to make it my first choice.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I simply can't imagine any bullet you could put in a .416 wouldn't be adequate. They're all built pretty tough for DG use.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Kenai area

Quote Originally Posted by alottabs View Post
    Blacbear,
    I`m sorry I let my feelings about baiting get in the way of a legitimate response! I apologize for being out of line. Good luck hunting.
    thanks takes a man to apologize. I understand some people don't agree with baiting . Its a whole lot of work. and sometimes its just downright scary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Never having shot a griz at that range, with that caliber, with those bullet types, I only have an educated guess that any one would work just fine. I personally would be more worried about my nerves/ shot placement etc. And of course, get as many as you can in him Good luck!

And about being flamed.... You post here, it's gonna happen. 8,000 more posts or so will help, but gonna happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast