Thread: New toy, need recommendations

Default New toy, need recommendations

Just picked up a new toy. Okay, to be honest it isn't for me. It is for my girlfriend and her birthday is approaching fast. I bought her a weatherby vanguard series 2 in 257 weatherby magnum. Topped it with a Leupold vari x III. Last piece of the puzzle is what ammo I should pick up. My normal modus operandi on a new rifle is to buy about 200-300 rounds of factory ammo and then start reloading that brass once i have shot up the factory rounds.

Does anyone else have a 257? If you shoot factory ammo, what is your preference? I am considering the weatherby factory ammo either the 110 grain accubond loads or the 120 grain partitions. She will be using the gun for caribou, pronghorn, muleys, blacktails, black bear, and African plains game. Probably the occasional moose as well but I realize the gun is on the light side and shots will need to be chosen carefully. That is not a problem. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

100gr Barnes, the perfect mix of speed, trajectory, and weight, along with light recoil. With my 257 I sight in 3" high at 100 yds with my favorite 100gr boattail load at 400yds I'm around 4" below point of aim, it's a point and click situation at normal game ranges. With the monolithic Barnes bullets you pretty much can't blow them up, which is a real consideration with "normal" bullets at the speeds the 257 is producing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    100gr Barnes, the perfect mix of speed, trajectory, and weight, along with light recoil. With my 257 I sight in 3" high at 100 yds with my favorite 100gr boattail load at 400yds I'm around 4" below point of aim, it's a point and click situation at normal game ranges. With the monolithic Barnes bullets you pretty much can't blow them up, which is a real consideration with "normal" bullets at the speeds the 257 is producing.
    Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I will give them a try.