Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper Solvent

Default Copper Solvent

A year or so ago there was something on these forums about a foaming copper solvent that about all that had used it liked it. I can not remember the name of it. Can someone tell me what it was?

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    A year or so ago there was something on these forums about a foaming copper solvent that about all that had used it liked it. I can not remember the name of it. Can someone tell me what it was?
    Wipe-Out is your huckleberry.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

My LGS sells it. New to me. I am more of a Kroil and Sweets guy. What is the deal with the foam? That much better?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks. My brother is going by a few gun shops tomorrow and I was going to get him to pick me some up. I could not remember the name of it.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    My LGS sells it. New to me. I am more of a Kroil and Sweets guy. What is the deal with the foam? That much better?
    It's the best I've ever used or seen and I've been at it awhile........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Yup Wipe-Out is great stuff, I was amazed and I donít amaze easy at all.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

OR, Foaming Bore Cleaner. (Gunslick Brand)

I take my rifle outside, poke the tube down the barrel from the chamber end, spray in shots, til it comes out the end of the barrel, wait bout 1/2 hour, and clean it out. Sometimes I need to do it a cupla times.

Like Andy says it's "amazing".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Will have to give it a try I guess. Thanks for the input.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Will have to give it a try I guess. Thanks for the input.
    When I moved up here I had to leave my bottle of Sweets and Kroil behind. Still wish I had some Kroil, but like the others say, Wipeout is fantastic stuff. I also use the Hoppes non-toxic copper solvent which works great. I probably won't buy Sweets again because everything else works so well.

Gunslick pro bore foam cleaner works great. Wipes out copper fouling better than the hopp's copper solvent I used in the past.

YUP! Plus you can let it sit for a day or so. Says it won't harm modern firearms, finish or metal. I let my long guns sit about 24hrs, pistols not as long. Once done with the Wipe-Out, I use Hoppes elite to clean up the residue in the bore and such. It feels sticky kinda otherwise. Then oil like normal. Wipe-Out will keep turning patches blue if you use brass brushes. I have SS brush for pistol, and I think I just use a plunger to push most out of the rifles, then dry patches, then finish with hoppes elite. I'm a happy camper and don't use anything else. I have hoppes copper clean, montana something copper cleaner, wipe out is the best! WWG has it generally, SW, and I think I saw it at 3 bears at fourcorners my first time in there last week.

Works great to remove copper.

Bore Tech Eliminator and Wipeout are the two best I've used and the ONLY two I've used that got ALL the copper out, and I have used a lot of solvents.

Wipeout requires more time (up to 8 hrs per soaking) but you only need to push a couple of patches through after each soaking. My worst fouling barrels took up to seven 8 hr soakings to get clean. Average is 2-4. You can use Wipeout accelerator to speed up the process but it still requires some extended soaking.

BTE is quicker but more labor and patches. I usually scrub with BTE and nylon brush to saturate the bore, then do something else for 20 or 30 min, then wet patch out till patches turn pale, then repeat the scrub/soak/patch cycle until there is no (or almost no) color left. In fact, I am just finishing up a cleaning my new 300 RUM.

A 16 oz bottle of BTE will last a very long time if you don't waste it and is overall much more economical than Wipeout.

Gunslick Foaming Cleaner is almost as good as Wipeout, but not quite... IMO
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Bore Tech Eliminator and Wipeout are the two best I've used and the ONLY two I've used that got ALL the copper out, and I have used a lot of solvents.

Wipeout requires more time (up to 8 hrs per soaking) but you only need to push a couple of patches through after each soaking. My worst fouling barrels took up to seven 8 hr soakings to get clean. Average is 2-4. You can use Wipeout accelerator to speed up the process but it still requires some extended soaking.

BTE is quicker but more labor and patches. I usually scrub with BTE and nylon brush to saturate the bore, then do something else for 20 or 30 min, then wet patch out till patches turn pale, then repeat the scrub/soak/patch cycle until there is no (or almost no) color left. In fact, I am just finishing up a cleaning my new 300 RUM.

A 16 oz bottle of BTE will last a very long time if you don't waste it and is overall much more economical than Wipeout.

Gunslick Foaming Cleaner is almost as good as Wipeout, but not quite... IMO
    That long for Wipe Out?

I'm sure I don't have as many guns, to clean as you, and they're probably not as fouled either, but I would think that before 8 hours, the foam would have dried up and stopped working.

I've learned to wait bout a half hour, and apply again.

Whatchewthink bout that?
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That long for Wipe Out?

I'm sure I don't have as many guns, to clean as you, and they're probably not as fouled either, but I would think that before 8 hours, the foam would have dried up and stopped working.

Whatchewthink bout that?
    Smitty of the North
    It all depends on the barrel. Some are worse than others. When I used Wipeout for bad foulers, I usually patched it out after maybe 4 hrs for the first couple of soakings. Then after that, I let it soak longer for the more stubborn copper down in the cracks. I found out the longer you let it soak, the more it would get out (per soaking) and 8 hrs seemed to be about the best amount of time. Half an hour just didn't cut it for Wipeout. It will last a looooong time in the bore without drying up. I've had it soaking for nearly 2 days and it would still patch out wet.

Don't let it get on a wood finish. Lernt that the hard way.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    It all depends on the barrel. Some are worse than others. When I used Wipeout for bad foulers, I usually patched it out after maybe 4 hrs for the first couple of soakings. Then after that, I let it soak longer for the more stubborn copper down in the cracks. I found out the longer you let it soak, the more it would get out (per soaking) and 8 hrs seemed to be about the best amount of time. Half an hour just didn't cut it for Wipeout. It will last a looooong time in the bore without drying up. I've had it soaking for nearly 2 days and it would still patch out wet.

Don't let it get on a wood finish. Lernt that the hard way.
    I'll try it that way, then. Next time I see copper in the end of my barrel.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Anyone seen a place here in AK that sells Bore Tech? I hadn't, and went on the search for it this past summer as a builder had recommended it. Never found any here, but a kind forum member who was coming to visit freinds brought me a bottle. Works great when I am messing with copper fouling--which I find myself doing less and less, trying to go after copper only when groups open up a bit. My hunting guns, still clean at the end of the season before tucking away, but my tactical and long range rifles are seeing less cleaning than I historically did.

My gun room smells more like shooter choice and less like sweets.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Copper is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    Copper is your friend.
    I

Well, I dunno. From what I've heard, it is OK, to a degree, filling cavities etc.

If it builds up too much, doesn't it have an adverse effect on accuracy? That seems to be normal thinking.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That long for Wipe Out?

When in the prairie dog lands with my usual cohort, they started squirting Wipeout in the barrels, having a couple of beers and appetizers, and then wiping them out. This after 500-1000 rounds in the Montana heat. They came out as clean as my barrels, which I was cleaning a more traditional way. Probably two hours soaking. Sometimes they would get distracted and not patch until after dinner.

Personally I still like the ritual of patch, soak, patch, etc., but I can't claim it works any better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast