Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Curl Aviation

Default Full Curl Aviation

Has anyone ever done a drop hunt with Full Curl Aviation for Caribou. Looking into doing a 2015 Drop hunt for Caribou out of Happy Valley, and need some suggestions.

Thanks

Is that Bret thoft?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Is that Bret thoft?
    Yep.......
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

70 North would be my first choice!

Bret is a great guy and a great pilot! I've flown with him on several occasions. He has a beautiful super cub wide body. Wouldn't hesitate to sit back seat with him.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Jake, what does his maul M7 look like? Is it a tail dragger?

If I ever do another fly out from happy valley it will be with full curl. They were up early and moving at a furious pace getting hunters into and out of the field. They clearly work hard and I had a lot of time to observe their operation.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Jake, what does his maul M7 look like? Is it a tail dragger?
    I didn't know he had a maule....if he does, it looks like a wide-body PA-18 supercub to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I didn't know he had a maule....if he does, it looks like a wide-body PA-18 supercub to me.
    It's stated on his website. Most M7 that I have seen are tricycle geared. My friends M6 is a tail dragger, so it had me wondering what Brett's is set up like.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If I ever do another fly out from happy valley it will be with full curl. They were up early and moving at a furious pace getting hunters into and out of the field. They clearly work hard and I had a lot of time to observe their operation.
    Jon, I spoke to your transporter from last year. He went to pick up an aircraft in Anchorage, a case of one thing leading to another, one more day turns into two, then three, then a week. We have all been there, mechanical things especially airplanes are complex and parts and maintenance in Alaska can be a challenge. Happy Valley to Anchorage is a long way to travel to head back empty handed. I have flown with him for many years and can say he runs a quality operation. I'm flying with him again this fall as a matter of fact. I ask that you take what I have stated here into consideration, before you judge an operation based on only one use.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

FYI our Alaska SCI chapter will be auctioning a donation from Brett for a transported caribou hunt at our next banquet.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That was funny right there. So much can be said between the lines. lol

Lujon. I arrived in happy valley just after you left. I also was stuck there for multiple days. At first I was a little angry but then after having no cell phones and sitting around a fire for a day or so having a drink in the middle of the day. I realized that this was my vacation. Some times you have to take the good with the bad. They ended up treating us more than fairly and we had a great hunt. Still no sheep though. Maybe this year will be my year. My point is give them another shot they have been great to me a lot of times. Tekla

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Lujon. I arrived in happy valley just after you left. I also was stuck there for multiple days. At first I was a little angry but then after having no cell phones and sitting around a fire for a day or so having a drink in the middle of the day. I realized that this was my vacation. Some times you have to take the good with the bad. They ended up treating us more than fairly and we had a great hunt. Still no sheep though. Maybe this year will be my year. My point is give them another shot they have been great to me a lot of times. Tekla
    I honestly just wish they would have been upfront and told me that they had issues with a plane and were down a pilot trying to get it fixed. I know darn well that "Alaska happens" but I am a huge fan of getting the straight up info on the situation. I would have asked them to let me take a caribou to pass the time and gone back hunting. They kept giving me the hopefully today....

Jon, that was the issue, the plane was SUPPOSED to be done, the NEXT day and the next day keeps getting pushed to the right. Their good folks!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Lol oh boy... I'm with stid on this **** happens, in Alaska...

These guys are flying a Maule for hire on the Slope? I wouldn't get in a Maule for a pleasure flight, let alone a beat-up for hire Maule. Nothing but junk...I would be highly suspect of an operation that shows poor judgement operating a Maule for hire. As a representative for SCI, I wouldn't be bragging about selling someone a Caribou hunt in one...

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    These guys are flying a Maule for hire on the Slope? I wouldn't get in a Maule for a pleasure flight, let alone a beat-up for hire Maule. Nothing but junk...I would be highly suspect of an operation that shows poor judgement operating a Maule for hire. As a representative for SCI, I wouldn't be bragging about selling someone a Caribou hunt in one...
    It's absurd to libel an aircraft like that without proof or data to back up such an outrageous claim. I would also like to know how your standing in the SCI is relevant to such a claim. A lot of good, hard-working people depend on Maule aircraft when they could easily afford alternative airplanes.

Facts matter.

1) Maule uses the exact same engines that Pipers and Cessnas use (Lycoming)
    2) Maule uses industry standard hardware, metals, avionics, etc which are used in all like aircraft

So, the only other difference can be the design of the aircraft, which coincidentally has been flying for 60+ years. A design may not be to your liking, but an airplane's design does not magically turn those engines and all that hardware into "junk." If you don't like Maules, fine, but calling them "junk and implying that they are unsafe is not a cool thing to do.

We used Full Curl (Brett Thoft) and Husky Aviation (Dan Sailors) last year for a sheep hunt. Absolutely top notch outfit, could not have asked for more!

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    It's absurd to libel an aircraft like that without proof or data to back up such an outrageous claim. I would also like to know how your standing in the SCI is relevant to such a claim. A lot of good, hard-working people depend on Maule aircraft when they could easily afford alternative airplanes.

Facts matter.

1) Maule uses the exact same engines that Pipers and Cessnas use (Lycoming)
    2) Maule uses industry standard hardware, metals, avionics, etc which are used in all like aircraft

So, the only other difference can be the design of the aircraft, which coincidentally has been flying for 60+ years. A design may not be to your liking, but an airplane's design does not magically turn those engines and all that hardware into "junk." If you don't like Maules, fine, but calling them "junk and implying that they are unsafe is not a cool thing to do.
    PW,
    The issue with a Maule is that mortal men cannot fly them. It takes a pilot of truly exceptional skill and good looks to make them dance. But those that can will amaze you with what they can do. Others just bad mouth them because they're lacking in both.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast