Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Full Curl Aviation

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5

    Default Full Curl Aviation

    Has anyone ever done a drop hunt with Full Curl Aviation for Caribou. Looking into doing a 2015 Drop hunt for Caribou out of Happy Valley, and need some suggestions.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,453

    Default

    Is that Bret thoft?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  3. #3
    Member Milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Is that Bret thoft?
    Yep.......
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

  4. #4
    Member Bucksandnoles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Inverness, FL
    Posts
    90

    Default

    70 North would be my first choice!

  5. #5
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,453

    Default

    Bret is a great guy and a great pilot! I've flown with him on several occasions. He has a beautiful super cub wide body. Wouldn't hesitate to sit back seat with him.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  6. #6
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Jake, what does his maul M7 look like? Is it a tail dragger?

  7. #7
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    If I ever do another fly out from happy valley it will be with full curl. They were up early and moving at a furious pace getting hunters into and out of the field. They clearly work hard and I had a lot of time to observe their operation.

  8. #8
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Jake, what does his maul M7 look like? Is it a tail dragger?
    I didn't know he had a maule....if he does, it looks like a wide-body PA-18 supercub to me.

  9. #9
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I didn't know he had a maule....if he does, it looks like a wide-body PA-18 supercub to me.
    It's stated on his website. Most M7 that I have seen are tricycle geared. My friends M6 is a tail dragger, so it had me wondering what Brett's is set up like.

  10. #10
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If I ever do another fly out from happy valley it will be with full curl. They were up early and moving at a furious pace getting hunters into and out of the field. They clearly work hard and I had a lot of time to observe their operation.
    Jon, I spoke to your transporter from last year. He went to pick up an aircraft in Anchorage, a case of one thing leading to another, one more day turns into two, then three, then a week. We have all been there, mechanical things especially airplanes are complex and parts and maintenance in Alaska can be a challenge. Happy Valley to Anchorage is a long way to travel to head back empty handed. I have flown with him for many years and can say he runs a quality operation. I'm flying with him again this fall as a matter of fact. I ask that you take what I have stated here into consideration, before you judge an operation based on only one use.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  11. #11
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    FYI our Alaska SCI chapter will be auctioning a donation from Brett for a transported caribou hunt at our next banquet.

  12. #12
    Member PacWestFishTaxidermy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If I ever do another fly out from happy valley it will be with full curl. They were up early and moving at a furious pace getting hunters into and out of the field. They clearly work hard and I had a lot of time to observe their operation.
    That was funny right there. So much can be said between the lines. lol

  13. #13
    Member tekla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    anchorage, alaska
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Lujon. I arrived in happy valley just after you left. I also was stuck there for multiple days. At first I was a little angry but then after having no cell phones and sitting around a fire for a day or so having a drink in the middle of the day. I realized that this was my vacation. Some times you have to take the good with the bad. They ended up treating us more than fairly and we had a great hunt. Still no sheep though. Maybe this year will be my year. My point is give them another shot they have been great to me a lot of times. Tekla

  14. #14
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Lujon. I arrived in happy valley just after you left. I also was stuck there for multiple days. At first I was a little angry but then after having no cell phones and sitting around a fire for a day or so having a drink in the middle of the day. I realized that this was my vacation. Some times you have to take the good with the bad. They ended up treating us more than fairly and we had a great hunt. Still no sheep though. Maybe this year will be my year. My point is give them another shot they have been great to me a lot of times. Tekla
    I honestly just wish they would have been upfront and told me that they had issues with a plane and were down a pilot trying to get it fixed. I know darn well that "Alaska happens" but I am a huge fan of getting the straight up info on the situation. I would have asked them to let me take a caribou to pass the time and gone back hunting. They kept giving me the hopefully today....

  15. #15
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Jon, that was the issue, the plane was SUPPOSED to be done, the NEXT day and the next day keeps getting pushed to the right. Their good folks!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Lol oh boy... I'm with stid on this **** happens, in Alaska...

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern alaska
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    These guys are flying a Maule for hire on the Slope? I wouldn't get in a Maule for a pleasure flight, let alone a beat-up for hire Maule. Nothing but junk...I would be highly suspect of an operation that shows poor judgement operating a Maule for hire. As a representative for SCI, I wouldn't be bragging about selling someone a Caribou hunt in one...

  18. #18
    Member PacWestFishTaxidermy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    These guys are flying a Maule for hire on the Slope? I wouldn't get in a Maule for a pleasure flight, let alone a beat-up for hire Maule. Nothing but junk...I would be highly suspect of an operation that shows poor judgement operating a Maule for hire. As a representative for SCI, I wouldn't be bragging about selling someone a Caribou hunt in one...
    It's absurd to libel an aircraft like that without proof or data to back up such an outrageous claim. I would also like to know how your standing in the SCI is relevant to such a claim. A lot of good, hard-working people depend on Maule aircraft when they could easily afford alternative airplanes.

    Facts matter.

    1) Maule uses the exact same engines that Pipers and Cessnas use (Lycoming)
    2) Maule uses industry standard hardware, metals, avionics, etc which are used in all like aircraft

    So, the only other difference can be the design of the aircraft, which coincidentally has been flying for 60+ years. A design may not be to your liking, but an airplane's design does not magically turn those engines and all that hardware into "junk." If you don't like Maules, fine, but calling them "junk and implying that they are unsafe is not a cool thing to do.

  19. #19

    Default

    We used Full Curl (Brett Thoft) and Husky Aviation (Dan Sailors) last year for a sheep hunt. Absolutely top notch outfit, could not have asked for more!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    It's absurd to libel an aircraft like that without proof or data to back up such an outrageous claim. I would also like to know how your standing in the SCI is relevant to such a claim. A lot of good, hard-working people depend on Maule aircraft when they could easily afford alternative airplanes.

    Facts matter.

    1) Maule uses the exact same engines that Pipers and Cessnas use (Lycoming)
    2) Maule uses industry standard hardware, metals, avionics, etc which are used in all like aircraft

    So, the only other difference can be the design of the aircraft, which coincidentally has been flying for 60+ years. A design may not be to your liking, but an airplane's design does not magically turn those engines and all that hardware into "junk." If you don't like Maules, fine, but calling them "junk and implying that they are unsafe is not a cool thing to do.
    PW,
    The issue with a Maule is that mortal men cannot fly them. It takes a pilot of truly exceptional skill and good looks to make them dance. But those that can will amaze you with what they can do. Others just bad mouth them because they're lacking in both.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •