Thread: Looking for a new shotgun

Default Looking for a new shotgun

So I currently use a Remington 11-87 Sportsman Field chambered in12ga as my go to waterfowl shotgun. I am looking at adding another shotgun to my gun cabinet. I have really been looking into the Benelli Supernova and Remington 870. I am wanting a pump/12ga in Camo. What are your opinions on these, and is there any others you would recommend I look in to? Thanks in advance.

Be prepared for the suggestion of basically every shotgun know to man.

What's wrong with the 11-87? That is a great gun there. If you're hung up between the nova and 870, here is what you do. Take a quarter and designate heads as the nova, and tails as the 870, flip the coin up in the air, catch it, then which ever one it lands on is the one you buy. Seriously, both are great guns and both are priced about the same, both are reliable. Either one will serve you well. Personally, I would just stick with the 11-87 though.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I agree with duckslayer56, both are great guns and will give you decades of fine shooting. And your 11-87 is a great gun as well. So...... I have a few 870's and only one nova if that means anything.

Nothing is wrong with my 11-87, and its been amazing since I got it. I'm getting a new shotgun to add to my collection, not to replace my 11-87. My dad is coming up to visit during duck season and I would like to take him out, so I need another shotgun. Also, my wife is not arguing with me getting another shotgun, so I figured I can never have too many.

I have the supernova pump camo and was disappointed with it. It jammed more than it should have and also the pump action created too much noise in my opinion. So I bought the Benelli automatic (black eagle) and love it. The pump just sits in the safe now. Maybe a good cleaning or adjustments could improve it? It doesn't have but maybe 250 rounds thru it. Might sell it to you if you were interested.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I have the supernova pump camo and was disappointed with it. It jammed more than it should have and also the pump action created too much noise in my opinion. So I bought the Benelli automatic (black eagle) and love it. The pump just sits in the safe now. Maybe a good cleaning or adjustments could improve it? It doesn't have but maybe 250 rounds thru it. Might sell it to you if you were interested.
    For what it's worth I agree with COD. I had a supernova pump and hated it. I used it on a few hunts and sold it due to jamming and too much slop in the pump.

Default Looking for a new shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Pump created too much noise?!?
    Your shooting a gun
    Sorry just thought it was a little ironic
    I shoot a beretta xtrema and love it. Shot many rounds at -15 and don't have any problems

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Aye, kwackiller. Putting the sneak on a flock and the darn forearm rattles around. Or you reach for it in the blind as you get descended upon by 12 big smart (earworthy) mallards and when you grab the gun... Dang that forearm rattle. Busted me more than once, for sure.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I've owned three 870's in my years of hunting. I stil have 2 of them, they have their fair share of Jams. I had a buddy get a really bad one this year that required him to disassemble the gun in the duck blind to get it unjamed. The famous 870 double feed. I've seen Novas jam as well. Niether one are immune. And my forend on my 870 express rattles like crazy too. Honestly I think both guns are pretty much even as far as how they rank.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Switch to a semi, you will love it. I have a Benelli SBE, have had it for about 5 years, and it has been great. Acutally, when i got it new, it gave me trouble jamming, but after talking to the tech at the factory, i thourghly cleaned it and removed all the heavy grease from the factory, oiled it as normal, and it has been great sence then. While the recoil compensation isn't important in most situation, i recall on weekends when i did a lot of shooting (2-4 box's) getting brused up a bit, with the Benelli, no bruses, a pleasure to shoot. Bud
    Wasilla

If you are set on a pump, you might also consider a BPS. They tend to be a bit heavier than some other pumps, but hey are rock solid. I own two, and I've been very happy with them both. The tang safety and bottom ejection helps, too, especially since I am a lefty. My only objection is that the 3 1/2 inch models have a really long pull and I have shorted it a few times and ejected a shell without putting another one in. Still, I have never had any major issues with jamming, and they work well in conditions from 80 above to 45 below. I also have an autoloader, and in terms of reliability, the BPS will win every time.

I'm not going to say that a BPS is the best shotgun the world has ever seen, but for the money, I haven't found anything else I like better.

akblackdawg, I currently use a semi (11-87) which I plan on keeping as my go to shotgun. I would like a pump in my collection so that is what I'm looking at. Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

I'd say get the 870 but make SURE it's not an express. Those things are problematic. As they say ya get what ya pay for...
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

There are several good pump guns out their. I have shot most of them at one point or anothe, BPS, Ithica, Benelli, Remington would be my top choices. before i had my SBE2 i shot a supernova and had zero problems from it. The browing BPS, and Ithica 37 are both very good pumps as well. I am partial to the Ithica 37 and the true 870 the wingmaster. The 870 wingmaster, Browning BPS, and Ithica 37 have been around for along time and are hard to beat. I do own an 870 express and would not reccomend it, the only reason I still have it is centamental value.

I loved my 870.... I don't know what your budget is but have ever seen the Stoeger auto loader? They look and feel good and the price won't kill ya. However I have never shot one, I hope someone may chime in. Good luck

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/shotguns