Thread: free diving in alaska

Default free diving in alaska

hey all,
    i am a avid freediver from california. I live in anchorage now and really want to do some diving/sear fishing. heres a video i made of a summer diving out of ketchikan. would love to meet some divers and get after it a bit.

http://youtu.be/1q4bsuVgPWU

I have a couple videos of free diving for abalone here in southeast. I'll try and upload them soon. I'm not a great free diver honestly. I only own dry-suits so even when I free dive I need almost 40 pounds of lead to get down and it gets pretty uncomfortable (but atleast I am always warm!). Basically the only time I go free diving is to get abalone, because it's the law. Normally though I just go diving on tanks or my compressor; plenty of rock scallops, crab, fish, and things to explore. Next time your down this way, let me know!

The dedication at the end was great. Nice video. Handlogger Jackson!
    I have a wetsuit and weights, only place I dive is the rivers for lures. I always brought the gear on kayak trips but never went in.

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    The dedication at the end was great. Nice video. Handlogger Jackson!
    I have a wetsuit and weights, only place I dive is the rivers for lures. I always brought the gear on kayak trips but never went in.
    Yea I love diving rivers for lures. Glad you liked it!

I just now got around to actually watching the video you posted. Awesome work! I assume your using a GoPro? I've never spearfished but have really been wanting to get into it. That's a nice king that you stuck in the video! I imagine it takes some time to learn to shoot those spears accurately.

Hey Ferns,

A little late but get on the Yahoo Group: Alaska Freedivers. There is a small group that tries to meet once a month at Snow Goose, one of the regular guys that kind of heads it up will be moving out of state this summer though so not sure how active it will stay.

Where'd you dive in CA? I started spearfishing in San Diego, then spent some time diving in Washington too. Not sure what your capabilities are or how diving is in Southeast, but, like everything else, it can be tough up here. There is some shore diving out of Whittier, but other than that most nearshore waters are really murky, boat trips are long and really weather dependent which makes planning trips hard, and a lot of fish hold deep.

Last year was my first year out of Prince William Sound, before I had been out of Seward and Homer a few times, and that holds some wonderful diving, if you can get away from the glaciers the vis and temps get better. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about dive areas or gear.

Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    Hey Ferns,

A little late but get on the Yahoo Group: Alaska Freedivers. There is a small group that tries to meet once a month at Snow Goose, one of the regular guys that kind of heads it up will be moving out of state this summer though so not sure how active it will stay.

Where'd you dive in CA? I started spearfishing in San Diego, then spent some time diving in Washington too. Not sure what your capabilities are or how diving is in Southeast, but, like everything else, it can be tough up here. There is some shore diving out of Whittier, but other than that most nearshore waters are really murky, boat trips are long and really weather dependent which makes planning trips hard, and a lot of fish hold deep.

Last year was my first year out of Prince William Sound, before I had been out of Seward and Homer a few times, and that holds some wonderful diving, if you can get away from the glaciers the vis and temps get better. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about dive areas or gear.
    I dove mostly humboldt county and San Luis obispo area. I'll check out that group . I think I tried to sign on once and it didn't work.

Good, you're used to rough water and poor vis! Actually it can be really good diving sometimes.

Try applying again and I'll look out for getting you approved. The only reason we have people apply is to cut down on the spam. The group is pretty loose, not sure what the future of it is but it's a start to meet some people.

Nice job ferns!!....enjoyed that alot!! larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Hey Ferns,

Have you been able to go out at all since you posted?