Thread: Guides again

Default Guides again

What is it with these apparent 'rash' of guides getting in trouble? There is an article on KTUU of another one being charged with several violations. Is guiding that bad, that they need to break the laws that much be followed in order to make money?

From the stories I had heard this one is not a surprise.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I think that when the dollar is involved, alot of them will do whatever it takes. Illegal, unethical, or just plain rude and intimidating.
    I also think the recent "rash" of violators prosecuted is just because of better investigating etc. It's not like this stuff just started.
    No surprise indeed.

What a shame. Wouldn't it be nice to not have to buy a tag unless you were successful.
    It does make sense that more are being caught due to increased enforcement. I am glad thay are catching more of these scumbags.
    Hopefully it puts a bit of a scare in the industry to straighten up and fly right.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I am just guessing here, but does anyone know if there are actually more cases going through the courts involving illegal guide activities or are we just hearing about more of them now?

As we read these stories, most of the investigations started a number of years ago and just now show up in the news. Without the social media and much easier means of searching for and distributing this information (both the news stations finding it from the court records and us from the news stations) these days, we were probably just not hearing about a lot of the cases. It isn't like these are visible things like a big apartment fire or bad accident on the highway that make exciting press photos and headlines, they are really a somewhat dry court record that has to be looked up and researched by the writer.

I am sorry to see how many issues there are, but happy to see so many of them being nailed by the authorities and the cases being so visible. That's the only way others are going to see the potential consequences and hopefully clean up their act.

unless there caught red-handed in the field the investigations take years to come to fruit on most cases & once they start digging they look for everything. seems like some of the guys getting caught have multiple infractions & prob involves a lot of investigating & time. then its another year or 2 before they actually go to court even after charged. I wonder how many people are doing the investigations behind scenes as the wildlife troopers certainly don't have that kind of time. seems like wildlife enforcement has really been on the residency thing last 3-4 yrs, must be easier for them to check a person out with all the internet info that can be shared.......I sold a 4 wheeler to a guy that was a guide, about 1.5 yrs later I got a visit at my house from a wildlife enforcement investigator, wanted to make sure I sold it & wasn't stolen as they had seized it & he hadn't registered... these guys called my cell phone to see if I was home as they were sitting outside my driveway.....who knows who's watching anymore

I am not sure what is going on, but the guides that I knew 40 years ago, up here, all seemed to be well above the standard and appeared to go out of their way to ensure that things were done correctly. But then also we had a different 'class' of hunters back then. I would sure hope that the 'almighty' dollar is not pushing ethical behavior to the side lines.

Not selling tags until after the kill is flouting the law so overtly that it makes me wonder why they ever thought they would get away with it.

If they are convicted their punishments should include fines to cover the investigation costs and lost tag sales revenue along with a substantial amount of community service.

If it were up to me they'd never be able hunt or fish in Alaska again.

Little ADN article: http://www.adn.com/2014/01/16/327715...rged-with.html

I am NOT, and I repeat "NOT" standing up for this type of Guiding activity; However this is little different than the corruption on wall street, in federal, state & local government, corporate/industrial complex, and the general moral decay that effects "ALL" once majestic nations, after they have started down the "Ever Accelerating" slide of moral/ethical/greedy glutinous decay.

From what I read he only got caught because a former client turned him in. These are hard to catch and harder to prove. With the limited number of wildlife troopers we have to do our part as well. Also wrong is wrong if you'll sell a tag late you'll leave meat behind as well

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I am NOT, and I repeat "NOT" standing up for this type of Guiding activity; However this is little different than the corruption on wall street, in federal, state & local government, corporate/industrial complex, and the general moral decay that effects "ALL" once majestic nations, after they have started down the "Ever Accelerating" slide of moral/ethical/greedy glutinous decay.
    And it starts with running a stop sign or going over the speed limit, there are laws for these too. If they don't enforce what are considered as minor infractions what stops anyone from a major crime. Oh unless they get caught.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    And it starts with running a stop sign or going over the speed limit, there are laws for these too. If they don't enforce what are considered as minor infractions what stops anyone from a major crime. Oh unless they get caught.
    Exactly! Just because my neighbor shot a moose out of season does not justify me doing the same. It also does not justify me shooting a Grouse out of season just because somebody else did something worse.
    This is one type of situation where I really like the troopers sting operations. I get nervous sometimes when I consider some small infraction because I know the troopers could be watching me from afar with a spotting scope.
    Not that I would keep the snagged fish or shoot the spruce hen off the road but knowing they do stings really enforces my moral compass as I do the right thing.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    The creation of the United States was an "infraction"....just depends who's side your on....driving over the speed limit, has NOTHING to do with the state of this country or the point in AGL4now's responce....and he nailed it on the head !!!....of the rich, by the rich and for the rich....with NO morals....later......

In Looking at this thread,,,,, I see that none of you fellow Alaskan's have picked up on the fact that this guy is somewhat of a "Celebrated" Author, Tony Russ publications, in 2007--- Predator Hunting "Hunting the Hunters" Book, by Rick Kinmon of Wasilla,,,, got bid "+++++Reviews"!!!!
    So,,,, now, does One question the book's validity,???? and the "Highly Celebrated" author, for his Prowess-??? May-be, May-be not, just a thought.
    The German

Attachment 76363Re-Post, The German

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

From what I have heard this client was bullied and threatened until he gave the Troopers what they wanted which was an unclear story about past events that were used to charge this outfitter. The client was and still is a friend and regrets the day he stepped foot into Alaska.