Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: First time shooting a handgun in 15 years

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default First time shooting a handgun in 15 years

    Took my dad's old Colt 32-20 out to Rabbit Creek today. First time with a handgun since 1999. Felt a little odd. I went through a box of 50 plus a few extras in about 2 hours.

    I forgot how small the grip is on that gun. (First time shooting it since '97.) That grip is so small that my index finger nuckle is always against the back of the trigger guard, so when it goes bang, it bites. It was difficult to not "milk" the grip and have a consistent grip on the gun. At any rate, the gun shoots about 2" to the left, and, at 10 yards it would put 4 out of 6 almost touching with the other 2 nearby. At 15 yards that opened up considerably, and at 20 yards I hit the paper once out of 6. All of the shot groups strung somewhat vertical.

    It has that half moon type front sight with a very shallow groove in the top strap for a rear sight. Lot of glare. I'll go get some sight black for it, I think.

    My plan is to carry it when out of doors on the off chance to shoot a hare or grouse. But I'll have to be pretty darn close; feels like 15 yards is the maximum range with 10 being the better. Probably still better off than with a 410.

    By the way, thanks to rbuck for helping me handload the bulk of the ammo I shot today, which, incidentally, had a decidedly more noticeable punch than the factory ammo I shot today. (As in, I could feel it on my nuckle more and I could see a bright orange blur in front of me when I fired.)

  2. #2
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Saving your knuckle is probably moving it left. Happens to all with that problem.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Saving your knuckle is probably moving it left. Happens to all with that problem.
    Hmmmm. I suspected as much. I noticed that I could move my nuckle in further (grab the stock tighter) but that require wrapping the trigger finger around further to the point that I was pulling the trigger with the base of my finger rather than the tip. The other thing I tried was to pull my fingers back some, but that REALLY created problems. Gripped in that manner, I could see the barrel flip up and to the right as I fired.

    It's not a gun I will shoot often, but I'd like to figure out some solution, or maybe the solution is to let the back of the trigger guard beat me up for the little bit of shooting it I will do. It's not like I am a serious handgunner and shoot every week.

  4. #4
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Buy or make something like this they work.
    http://www.csmcspecials.com/Trigger_...s_p/corner.htm
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,809

    Default

    The way to prevent getting your knuckle bashed with a Rifle, or Shootgun, is to tighten your grip. That works very well.

    I dunno if that is a solution for a handgun but it might work.

    For handguns, something called a "grip filler" was popular back in the 60s. They seemed to be mostly for S&W DAs. They filled the space between the grip and the trigger guard, basically keeping your knuckle out of there.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    The way to prevent getting your knuckle bashed with a Rifle, or Shootgun, is to tighten your grip. That works very well.

    I dunno if that is a solution for a handgun but it might work.

    For handguns, something called a "grip filler" was popular back in the 60s. They seemed to be mostly for S&W DAs. They filled the space between the grip and the trigger guard, basically keeping your knuckle out of there.

    Smitty of the North
    Hmmm. I'm thinking I'm not describing the scenario very well. Imagine, if you will, the space between the front of the grip and the back of the trigger guard. This is a revolver of course so the trigger guard doesn't go straight back as it does on an autoloader; it curves upward to the frame creating an upside down "u." With my trigger finger inside or alongside the guard, my index finger fits into that pocket. My knuckle presses on the back of that trigger guard. Therein lies the rub (literally.)

    I say this because I already keep a tight grip on the stock. What I need is skinnier fingers or more space between the back of the guard and the front of the grips.

  7. #7
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Ya you can still find Tyler trigger guards,they help many.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  8. #8
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Hmmm. I'm thinking I'm not describing the scenario very well. Imagine, if you will, the space between the front of the grip and the back of the trigger guard. This is a revolver of course so the trigger guard doesn't go straight back as it does on an autoloader; it curves upward to the frame creating an upside down "u." With my trigger finger inside or alongside the guard, my index finger fits into that pocket. My knuckle presses on the back of that trigger guard. Therein lies the rub (literally.)

    I say this because I already keep a tight grip on the stock. What I need is skinnier fingers or more space between the back of the guard and the front of the grips.
    Yup, Smitty is talking about filling in the "U" aria so your knuckle is lower . . . middle finger not index BTW.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  9. #9
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Here is Tyler site.
    http://t-grips.com/TGrips.html
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •