Default Homer AC Position on UCI Kenai Kings

This is a unanimously supported position from the Homer AC
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    This is a unanimously supported position from the Homer AC

Well done, Homer AC!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

That is awesome.

This is a poorly thought out proposal and has no chance of passing. The proposal would shut down the Russian red fishery all season. It would also close much of the rainbow fishing, and all of the middle and upper to silver fishing. The Homer AC should stick to something they have a clue about. I have no problem with severe Kenai King restrictions, but this is a poorly thought out proposal from an AC that hasn't done it's homework.

akcarv, reread then comment. You missed something, and have spoke out of fear not what is ask for in this position by Homer AC. There is not one thing that would shut down the Russian river red fishery. As for rainbows it needs to go to a more fish and take fishery to help save more king salmon fry.

can someone post the proposal referenced? I can't access it with my phone, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    akcarv, reread then comment. You missed something, and have spoke out of fear not what is ask for in this position by Homer AC. There is not one thing that would shut down the Russian river red fishery. As for rainbows it needs to go to a more fish and take fishery to help save more king salmon fry.
    I think you need to reread the proposal. it its possibly the worst proposal I have ever read. the homer ac should be embarrassed. when proposals like this come before the board groups lose credibility in front of the board.

homer dave, I appreciate what you bring to the forum and enjoy reading your posts bit this homer ac proposal out a bit out there, and them some.

I was able to access the proposal on my phone but can't paste it here forte others to read in full.

In all honesty we don't expect the proposal to pass as written, all we hope for is that SERIOUS consideration be given to closing the Kenai to protect spawning kings. And yes, we did realize that that could affect the upper river rainbow fishery, but perhaps that is what's called for...

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I think you need to reread the proposal. it its possibly the worst proposal I have ever read. the homer ac should be embarrassed. when proposals like this come before the board groups lose credibility in front of the board.

homer dave, I appreciate what you bring to the forum and enjoy reading your posts bit this homer ac proposal out a bit out there, and them some.

I was able to access the proposal on my phone but can't paste it here forte others to read in full.
    Well, lets give Homer a break - their heart is in the right spot but the proposal is poorly written. We protect salmon on spawning grounds all over the State for various reasons. This proposal goes too far with the all fishing closed part for other species. However, the concept of allowing fishing downstream only of RM 13 is a valid approach to chinook conservation. It would reduce selective harvest on sub-populations in the main stem river. So I think while it could have had better justification I can understand their approach. It does not deal with early run fish in the river above the counter for 10 days in July which is a problem.

I will call a spade a spade. This proposal is dumb. The board doesn't have time to waste on this stuff. If you didn't expect it to be considered as written, then either write it better or don't waste our time with it. I find it hard to take the Homer AC serious when they propose stuff like this.

I did read it again and it has the wording "close the Kenai river to all targeted king fishing, and take drastic measures to ensure these fish are undisturbed on their spawning beds." Could you explain why you think this is the worst proposal you have ever read?
    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post

akcarv, are you on the board? This is no worse then half the stuff proposed by KRSA. This would stop the harassment of spawning kings, and do more then anything else that has been put out there.

MG, read proposal 205. Only the position paper mentions targeting, not the actual proposal. As to KRSA, I think most of their proposals are very self serving and have ulterior motives behind them. I wish they would drop their hatred of the set net fishery and actually use some of their clout for true conservation measures . 205 is not the only dumb proposal, I have a big green book full of them! I have to admit that I am pretty opinionated myself, so try not to take this personal. My perfect world would include a several year total king closure, followed by barbless only, no eggs,and drift only year round for the Kenai. This is from someone who has kept a power boat on the Kenai for the last twenty five years and I love to fish eggs. We are all going to have to sacrifice a lot to save this fishery in our lifetime.

First off, remember that proposals need to be written so far in advance that an entire years worth of data is not available. As I said, we dont think that that proposal will ever pass as written, nor is it likely any of the proposals put forth to regulate the king fishery will be adopted as written. I would suggest that instead of dwelling on the wording of prop 205 you consider the wording of the position letter, as it was written in a timeframe far more contemporary than the proposal. We don't really have a "super specific" solution, what we have is a conviction that if more is not done to protect the fish in the river we are going to lose them.
    thats our main point.

Here's a pretty balanced point of view coming from Homer:

http://homernews.com/homer-opinion/p...s-not-too-late

Something definetly needs top be done. Not fishing on the Spawning grounds is a good start.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"