Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaskan Sheep Organization.....

Default Alaskan Sheep Organization.....

My fellow Alaskan sheep hunting friends, we have talked and talked, and I'm done talking!....it's time that we create a reputable group/organization!. Weve talked about this and other forum members have tried to get something started!....If we don't , we will never see the quality of sheep hunting that Alaska could offer to us and the young hunters who will come after were gone!

If I knew how to start an Alaska Sheep Organization I would!...Im not interested in a special groups org, but only an org that its first priority is the welfare of Alaska sheep and the Alaskan resident!
    If we had an org like this, I would gladly support it as a member and donate to it, and I would donate alot to it!
    We can do this, we have so many hard core sheep hunters in Alaska, we need to band together! I have been in contact with other members as we are trying to start the ball rolling!......
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

I'm in! Will start gathering info asap!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I'm in! Will start gathering info asap!
    Awesome, I will also start from my end!....

I'm in too! Maybe? Well, I guess not so much........

I'd be interested for sure, but going to have to keep my role down to just paying member dues or something for a while. The Air Force has moved me to Maryland for a few years so I'm not going to be able to provide much hands on. I'm coming back every year to hunt sheep though.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I am in FULL SUPPORT !!!
    AK needs this BAD !!!
    I will give my left nut if if would help.
    Maybe a toe too !
    Count me in.
    Pick A Spot

I would be willing to support such an organization, it will take the voice of many to be heard.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Couple of thoughts:

It would be OUTSTANDING if someone could get a lawyer to help out with the incorporation paperwork. I had a kinda friend set up a business for me years ago. It was $500 and I think that was a little bit of a discount.

Second, if we got our act together quick enough, we might be able to get a booth at the Anchorage, Wasilla, and Fairbanks outdoors shows.

Maybe get set up to do memberships? or donations???

If nothing else, get the message out along with what we would want to do.

I think the best thing would be to get F&G to limit the non-resident harvest. They do this for kodiak bear tags. This many tags for residents, this many for non-residents.

In a way, they do it for moose too. Non-res has to shoot a 50" or 4 brow tine bull, while a resident can shoot any bull.

The bottom line, is it's important to preserve the resource. Having an area totally shot out isn't good for anyone.

Richard

Good Thoughts Oakman,
    It seems to me that it is important to keep a broad, open perspective so that if there are people who want to help sheep populations that they can in Alaska by supporting a group like this.

I have hunted Alaskas sheep for 30+ yrs and would love to see my offspring have the same opportunities that I have.
    Sheep hunting in the eighties was amazing ! I would love to see it return to those levels !

The current policy from the management perspective is : If there arent enough sheep, close it up and turn it to a drawing permit area.
    Very poor solution in my opinion.
    Pick A Spot

I would look at non-profit (501c3) status as well. I have experience building web forums so I might be able to help there if needed.

Oh, and I'm in

I would really like to see this happen! I was a member of the long defunct organization for a good many years back when it was functioning well. I am still climbing the sheep hills even though I took my first ram in '66 on a solo walk in hunt. My son, and daughter have been sheep hunting with me ( my son and I were pretty successful) and my grand kids are about ready to join in. I really don't have anything in particular to offer, but I will take part if things start to happen and I am kept in the loop.

Thanks for the support guys!...first of all I want to say is I just want to get this organization rolling and up. Not worrying about what/where the org need/wants to start to limit. I would want an org which supports sheep welfare, and sheep hunters both resident and non-resident, that all can be discussed later with the members!

This is going to be a tough task, but I know we all can do it!....Im so committed to this that I will fork out the $500.00 for the non-profit (501c3)

I believe that we can have this Alaska Sheep org and someday have a very nice quarterly magazine, maybe even bi-monthly,membership drives, fund raisers, events ,sheep hunting education classes, booths at the sport shows etc. But most important of all, we will have a strong voice to be heard!
    Ive got a bunch of PMs from members wanting to be involved and support this, this is awesome, I know we can do this guys!

I have been in contact with Northway, Mike is working it on his end and I am starting on mine end! I see some meetings with sheep hunters coming up soon, in the valley, anchorage and up north in Fairbanks or Tok. I have to problem driving up north to have meetings with folks!

I have been thinking about a name for this org!.....Alaska Wild Sheep Association, Alaska Wild Sheep Organization, Alaska Sheep Unlimited.lets hear what you guys think for a name, then we could put it to a vote!

Any help with this process is much needed!....thanks again!....

Dave

So I think this is a great idea! I would like to see it go farther then just sheep though to an organization that is for all Alaskan resident hunters and all games species here in Alaska you could call it the Alaska Sportsmen Society or .... Wait Maybe that isn't the best name or is it!

Mr Dave, I will donate to help with the start up fee. United we can make a positive difference.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Ramhunter,

Count me in on this...

Chuck

If you are going to make the second pillar of your organization the protection of "the Alaska resident" and not just the welfare of the sheep and quality trophies, good luck to you. However, I doubt you will find as much support as you would like, and a good bit of opposition - like from every guide in the state. Neither will you find any generous benefactors from outside.

Personally, I'd like to see a well functioning Alaska based organization, but reality is likely that national support would get the ball rolling a lot quicker. Some people may have noticed that F&G refered to a new formed "Sheep Working Group" a number of time in this years BOG comments. Currently, we have no functional way of keeping track of what that "Working Group" is doing, and certainly very little voice in the process. To me that means the time to start an organization is NOW. That working group could potentially set the tone for sheep management from many years to come during the 2015 BOG cycle.

I would assume that by far the fastest and most efficient way to get an organization off the ground would be a call to WSF. I know they have been wanting to get another one going in the worst way since the pulled the plug on the last fiasco that passed for a chapter up here. I'd be willing to bet that they would be happy to walk through the process with any interested parties and probably even fund the start up. Maybe they already have something in the works, I dunno (not currently a member).

The drawback? It would be under the wing of a National Org, so it would have to be a sheep protection agenda and not a resident protection agenda. Pluses and minuses there.

Yk

Do we really need to set up a non-profit to be organized at this point?

The research I've done indicates it will cost a lot more than $500... more like $5000+

I'm in. The best facilitators of change have always been grass roots movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    Do we really need to set up a non-profit to be organized at this point?

The research I've done indicates it will cost a lot more than $500... more like $5000+
    Excellent point. Another (perhaps better) way to be heard would be to write our elected representatives. Write them over and over. Call and leave messages at their offices. If that many voters start griping about sheep management, someone will listen.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast