Thread: Proposal to get Sea Duck Bag limits increased in Katchemak bay

Default Proposal to get Sea Duck Bag limits increased in Katchemak bay

Ok, the other thread has me fired up, and I'm sick and tired of the proposals coming out of homer that keep jabbing us waterfowlers with a stick. I'm sure a lot of us here remember the bag limits being reduced in K-Bay a few years ago. And the fact that there was no science supporting the reduced limits. From what I got by people who were at the BOG meeting it was passed because there was that a couple members were hung up on wanton waste issues, and didn't want to hear about the biology.

Instead of letting the people down in K-bay keep trying to whittle down our hunting access and privileges, lets fight back. Three years ago they got the limits of Harliquins and Longtails reduced from 6 per day down to 2, and 4 in possession. There was no science supporting this, we had bird bios scratching their heads wondering why. All of us knew the real motive. It was a personal attack at the guide that operates down in Seldovia, and an attempt to make hunting sea ducks in Katchemak bay unappealing or not worth it, and an attempt to turn the bay in front of cabin owners into a bird watching sanctuary.

I remember right after this passed that a few members were looking into putting in a proposal to get this overturned. I'm wondering what happened to those proposals, and why don't we reattack this. I've never put a proposal in front of the BOG before, so I'm somewhat uniformed on how to do this. But I think if a few of us put our heads together we could put forth a good science based proposal to hopefully get this overturned.

I'm stationed in Maryland at the moment, but more than happy to work online with you guys to get this working. And before the naysayers say why the heck are you meddling in AK affairs. I'm military and have kept my Ak residency, because in a few years I will be returning for good when I retire.

I'd really like to hear you guys' thoughts on this and wether or not you think it's a worthy fight.

Thanks
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Tom.. I have an idea from an official standpoint and will help if we can. If anyone else has the experience and can help.. Let us know. This should be pretty easy I would think.

i going to contact some biologist in AK and see what data I can get my hands on.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I just got off the phone with one of the guys who are responsible for getting us a caribou draw hunt in Unit 13. He says the most important thing is that we have to get people to show up to testify at the BOG meeting. I realize the majority of us won't be able to make it, due to living in Fairbanks, Kenai Penn...Maryland in my case, but we HAVE to get people to the BOG meeting to suport the proposal, and get a bunch of people to submit a similar proposal. The more guys that submit a proposal on getting the bag limits in Katchemak bay increased to previous levels, the more the BOG is going to look at it. Then the more guys that show up to testify for the proposal the more likely we can get it to pass. We can't sit on the couch the night of the BOG meeting and say somebody else will take care of it, or my favorite show is on, etc. We have to go to the meeting!

It's too late to submit this year, but that gives us a year to gather data, talk to Bio's, talk to ADF&G as well as USFWS, I'm not sure if the Sea Duck Joint Venture is still meeting, but I would love to get in contact with them as well. Maybe DU has been doing some studies that can help out. Being DU volunteer I may know some people who can to get me in contact with a DU bio. We need data from people who are doing actual sea duck studies that aren't paid by people with an agenda. We have a year to get a really good polished product out that is based on real factual science.

My buddy said, get as many guys as you can to submit the proposal, then make sure they testify at the BOG meeting. Get the facts and present them. He said don't worry if you are a bad writer or can't spell, just do your best and submit it, the more you have the better case you have. It's what they did, and now we have a draw hunt in unit 13.

I'm not good with computers but is there a way a person can write a purposel that we all can some how send in as an individual
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I'm definitely going to write one. I'd be more than happy to send out a template to anybody who wants it. I'm getting with people who have had success in the BOG, and getting their input on how to do this the right way.

I'll see what we can do to send it in as a group. Maybe we can submit it under AWA or maybe Alaskans for Sea Ducks or something.

Sounds good thanks
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Tom.. I have an idea from an official standpoint and will help if we can. If anyone else has the experience and can help.. Let us know. This should be pretty easy I would think.

i going to contact some biologist in AK and see what data I can get my hands on.
    Sounds like a really good topic for AWA to grab hold of........
    Tom is right, if we don't take control someone else will manage our resources for us.........sort of like our health care. Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Tom, you got my info.. Send me anything along with anyone else that would like this compiled and pushed out later.

I OFFICIALLY received a personnel email from Nancy yesterday.. She is open to discussion and trust me.. I am corresponding with her soon. If anyone has anything they would like me to specifically ask her outside of direct quotes.. Please email me or PM me your concerns and questions. I will compile all notes and discuss these with her next week..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

What exactly are you hoping to discuss with her? My experience with these anti hunter types is they aren't happy unless hunting is banned period. And if they can't get an outright ban, they will "negotiate" to chip away at your hunting rights until they are gone.

First thing read on job responsability on the BOG..
    This will give you a better idea how to approach them and it reminds them of there duties.
    Facts and data is valuable!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK