Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For all you Mini Boat junkies :-)

Default For all you Mini Boat junkies :-)

Yes the craze has hit me too, I started a few months ago sourcing a ski and trying to get everything in order to get started. Had two weeks off and was able to get some stuff done. Seems to go together very nicely. A jig is a must in my opinion. Here are some photos. Hope these help anyone looking build one. Any and all input is appreciated. $1400 for aluminum (3/16" bottom/transom 5086)(1/8" sides 5052), $200 for waterjet cutting. $125 for bending.

Eventually required welding tabs on and C-Clamps, rubber clamps just didn't cut it.

Finally sitting in the jig right.

Tacking it together was fairly painless, everything seemed to fit right with just a little adjustment.

Deck combing and gunnels, had to cut one gunnel cuz I screwed up and bent them both the same direction...ID10T

Underside prior to the final welding, had to weld on tabs to the bottom to suck it to the jig before the sides were installed. ADVICE to newbies like myself. Build a jig, makes your life a lot easier, I would have had no idea that it needed to be sucked down without the jig showing me. how far off it was.

Everything is welded in and out except the bow deck and the windscreen, need to cut the ski apart when I get back into town and figure out some measurement for stringers and motor mounts. I'll have another two weeks so hopefully I can get some more photos up when I get back.

Very nice. Good pictures and explanation. What are you going to use for power? Any plan for a bottom coating or the good plastic stuff?
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Motor is coming out of a 1100 Yamaha triple jet ski with around 115-120 hp. Entire bottom is getting 3/8" UHMW, well haven't decided if I will do the chines or not yet. Hoping finished product minus fuel comes in at sub 500 lbs, we will see.

Coors Light, aluminum, and welding in the shop....awesome.
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Agreed... Nothing better, the welding gets progressively better on a linear scale up until that point where it gets worse on an exponential scale...lol

That is going to be one wild ride.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Do you have relatives who own the water jet or somthing when i had mine cut they wanted 420$ i called greer tan i have the same exact boat. Theres 7 guys so far two of them are completely home made though no plans

Hope you plan on joining our possy hahaha are you doin a foot throttle?

Well 7 that i know of

Quote Originally Posted by kylejohnson View Post
    Well 7 that i know of
    Yeah would love to get together and have a Mini boat meet up. Haven't really decided on the throttle control I know the hand and foot throttle are popular on the NZ forums. Thinking maybe both but most likely to start will be hand throttle similar to a jet ski probably on the steering wheel, but who knows until the time comes to make a decision. The water jet was super cheap and there are reasons for that :-) but no not family and I didn't know them. Your boats coming along great hope to see it in the water soon.

Looks like you have your project under control pretty good. I have a question: It looks like the two hull halves along the pad (flat part of the bottom) are butted to each other. Is there a weld joint there .... kind of hard to tell from the photos. If the joint is a butt joint ..... this would be an easy time to make that a better weld joint and likely prevent a crack from developing there down the road.

You could flatten the stitch welds on the inside of the hull and lay a flat bar .... 1/4" or 3/16" x 1" would do ... down the centerline of the weld joint. Put a small stitch pattern down both sides of the flat bar. Turn the boat upside down ... and with the skill saw set at 3/16" .... saw through the butted joint up to the flat bar you stitched to the inside. That will leave you with a nice open weld joint with a flat bar back up. You can crank up the heat and wire speed and burn into the flat bar back up. Hold the cup close and let the weld joint fill up good before advancing the cup.

Yes the center weld down the middle will be a weak link. I still have to cut out a hole for the intake and that will take out a good portion of the bottom center section. Once the intake is installed I think I will do as you suggested and give that center weld some help for the remainder of the delta pad. Thanks for the input.

Attachment 76381
    This is what you speak of right?

Here you can see the flat bar back up ...... looks like this.

I ended up lutting some T from the engine mouut up as far as i could, and in the back covered the whole delta pad with 3/8 plate

Been busy with the boat and haven't updated this in awhile so here is what has been going on.

Cut down an AT312 grate to fit my delta and 6" pump.

1" solid stock for the base.

3/8" plate to mount to the transom.

Cardboard template for the shoe/heel of the intake, figure out where your bends are and slice thru the 3/16" plate half way makes it easy to bend.

Weld up where the slices are, its best to tack the plate to the plate that was cut out before you weld up the cuts so the aluminum doesn't get hot and out of shape.

I did the same thing on the sides, if I had a roller this would have been way easier.

For to fit was pretty simple.

I cut out a carboard template for the front of the intake.

2" sch 40 pipe, I used the flashlight in the tube trick to get the center where the whole should be cut. Works pretty slick.

3/8" Plate for the coupling/bearing assembly.

3"x 3/16" Angle for the motor mounts

Test fitting the motor, looks like I will have to make a few shims for the mounts closest to the intake but the motor should fit nicely.

1/4" 2x2 T channel for the stringers

Got the bow welded up, waiting to add the UHMW next time off before I weld on the windscreen. Got lots left to do but its been fun so far.

Slick stuff :-)

Herd you working on it the other day I'll have to pop in and take a look in person. Looks like a fun project and excellent craftsmanship

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Thanks Tony, swing on by I'll have a cold one waiting for ya.

With that offer you talked me into it.. When do you get back in?

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Crackin cold ones!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast