Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a knife

Default I need a knife

I need a knife for my trip to alaska. Iv been looking at the bark river bravo 1.5 but am still looking. I need a general purpose knife for camping,cuting bait etc

Nice knife. I dont think you will be disappointed. What handle material are you looking at. Micarta is fantastic and will stand up to anything but the woods look a bit nicer. They offer quite a long list of materials for handles.

Kinda big for fish if thats its main use.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Spendy knife for something you plan on cutting bait with.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Holy cow man, that's a bayonet! I don't know anyone who carries a knife that big. Three of us gutted, quartered, and butchered a moose, and none of us used a knife that big. (Well, I seem to remember someone having a standard kitchen butcher knife at one point, but that's all.) Are you sure that's the knife you need? (Of course, it's okay to just "want" it, too.) I think you might be better served with your basic folding Buck knife. (Actually, I'm rather fond of the WR Case brand of knives but that's just me.)

Im also looking at the aurora, i like the micarta. I just look at it as you spend the money once. It will not only be used in AK but im looking for more suggestions

As a knife fanatic I like to have more than one blade with me all the time. I personally would go with the shorter bravo 1 for all all around as I like 4-5" blades for most things. Knives are very personal and individualistic so find one you like and get it. If you do go with the 1.5 you might consider a smaller folder to go along with it. You could also consider getting a nice hand made knife from a local maker here.

A2 is a great tool steel and based on their web site the Aurorais Rockwell 58. Thatís pretty **** hard. It will take good tools to give it anedge but it will hold an edge being that hard. Itís a thick blade as well.(.17) You would be hard pressed to bend of break such a thick blade.

I donít know your skill level or available tools (or time) but this would be a very easy knife to make aswould one out of O1 steel (another form of tool steel like the A2 the Aurora ismade from) The aurora is about $200. You could make one like that for far lessand it can even have a micarta handle (very easy to make)

I have been looking at some hand forged bird and trout knives. I agree $200 is up there especially for a knife with a 4 inch blade. Id prefer something around 5 inchs

If you have the time and inclination to make your own, I have had very good results with this company over the years. I have made many many Damascus knives using their blanks. The prices are reasonable, the steel is good and they are American made. Look at this link. They sell both Damascus and 1095 steel blades. They even sell burl knife scales if you want wood.

http://stores.ebay.com/Two-Finger-Kn...=p4634.c0.m322

If you want micarta handle material, its very easy to make. I did a tutorial here. Here is the link. Its in this same board area a few posts down from your post.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-bow-grips-etc)

Here are a few of the knives I have made using blades from two fingers. You donít need much in the way of tools to pull this off yourself. I can talk/post you through it with all the steps. (including the sheath.)

These are knives Ive made and donated to various orgs for fund raisers of theirs.

No reason to limit yourself,

Get a multi-tool. For a "Do-all" I would recommend a gerber diesel. It is heavy weight enough to grab and bend, has a few cutting tools on it, and is plenty to gut fish and small game.

The knife blade on it is a piece of art.

Quote Originally Posted by corbanzo View Post
    No reason to limit yourself,

Get a multi-tool. For a "Do-all" I would recommend a gerber diesel. It is heavy weight enough to grab and bend, has a few cutting tools on it, and is plenty to gut fish and small game.

The knife blade on it is a piece of art.
    You know, I've been on the fence about a multi tool for literally years now, going back and forth on whether or not I want to lay out the $60-sh or so dollars for a good one. (I've always been a Swiss Army knife guy-ever since I was a Boy Scout.) I haven't yet made the jump to a multi tool because, to be honest, I have never yet needed any of the stuff on a multi tool that is not on a Swiss Army Knife. Does anyone really use all of that stuff?

Oh yeah. All the time. If you ever hike and camp, don't leave home without it.

Pliers, screwdrivers, knives, can opener.

The saw doesn't get much use... But every other thing absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do a lot of fishing so pliers and a knife are indispensable. As well as screwdrivers for reels, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    You know, I've been on the fence about a multi tool for literally years now, going back and forth on whether or not I want to lay out the $60-sh or so dollars for a good one. (I've always been a Swiss Army knife guy-ever since I was a Boy Scout.) I haven't yet made the jump to a multi tool because, to be honest, I have never yet needed any of the stuff on a multi tool that is not on a Swiss Army Knife. Does anyone really use all of that stuff?
    I used to always keep a swiss champ folder with me and it indeed comes in handy at times. The multi tools have longer pliers for removing hooks and are more stout. There are different types that are somewhat more specific than others so choice what you like. When out camping/hiking and fishing I always have a multi tool and trusty knives, but have a very small swiss army knife in the pack for when I need tiny blade and tweezers. When I lived in Texas those tweezers were the best for *****ly pear cactus spines!

I have a multi tool i was issued well i was in the service and i keep it in my pack. And although those are great looking knives i dont have the time to spare to make my own. I was reading an article on a kephard knife. I looked it up and they look old fasion im considering getting a hand forged one from ML Knives. I love the bark rivers but the scandi grind scares me as in never sharpened one and if i had to field sharpen i would be scared to mess it up. Although there is the lifetime warrenty and there spa treatment to think about.

What will be a general purpose for the knife? That should be the first question on a knife or tool to carry. If I am cutting bait then it's a junk knife with a mid range blade, if I am cutting fish well long and thin. If I am skinning then a bit short and curved and will hold a good edge. Now if I plan on fighting a bear then a big knife is needed really big if its a brown and a little smaller for the Blackies.
    As for the tool will the Leatherman super will do it all from skin caribou / moose to cut fish and bait find off black bear and then with the multiple blades to choose from fight off those pesky browns bears. At the end of the day you can even use that Leatherman to open a bottle of beer and clean your finger nails of all that unwanted blood and gunk that get under them.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Can't go wrong with a Mora or two and a Leatherman...I've lost them both overboard and never cried one tear...did cuss a bit though.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

The more I fiddle with it the more I wish I'd discovered Mora before I spent all that cash on knives over the years. A $15 Mora has skinned and gutted a bunch of big critters, cut up fish, cut rope and did it all well. Sharpens easy and holds an edge pretty well too.

At $15 if I lose itÖnot a big deal at all, I've got a couple more at home and in my vehicle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

If you had a choice price not being a issue, would you choose a mora or a bark river aurora?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast