Thread: First Winter Moose Hunt

Default First Winter Moose Hunt

As the fall moose season came to a close I was left with only spotting one bull moose so far away that by the time I traveled through two valleys and over three hilltops, he had Houdinied into the trees. With the freezers getting low of meat I had the opportunity to go to Montana and take my daughter with me which we both shot our first mule deer. Talk about making some memories with the kid....I love that stuff! So getting back to nome with some meat for my family of five we felt pretty good. My friend/boss talked to me when I got back and mentioned about going on a winter moose hunt and splitting the meat. It sounded good to me as I didn't need a whole moose for the freezer with the deer meat I had just added. This was my first time doing a winter moose hunt so to say the least I was a bit excited. As for the weather, we could have had a little bit more snow on the ground but there was enough to get around. After an exciting New Years Eve out at the cabin, we headed out at first light on the first day of 2014 with highest expectations. After seeing cow after cow after cow the mood started to waiver a little. We decided to travel a little and look at some new area to see what we could find. Of course as soon as we get near some brush one of the hunters spots some more....you guessed it...cows! So another hunter machined forward some and then the magical words came out of his mouth "there's a bull!". Of course the bull was standing in some pretty tall willow bushes so all we could see were the tops of his palms, and he knew we could see him cause he wasn't making any stupid moves like stepping out in a shooting lane. As he dissappeared into the brush I decided to walk in to see where he went. This decision was not favorable with my fellow companions as they mentioned that getting the bull out of the extremely thick and tall brush would be a chore in itself, but I went in anyway. As I figured I did not find the bull but I did fall numerous times and got the living s*&t scared out of me by my buddy who decided to follow me into the brush, unbeknownst to me. After fumbling around for a bit we walked back out of the brush back to the machines. As we were trying to figure out what we were going to do one of the hunting party spotted a cow...then another...then "BULL!". As we sat there he asked "is anyone going to shoot it?". As I looked at everyone else, I noticed no one was moving so I started my machine and took off to better my position to the bull. Now, before I continue I will spill the beans about what happened through my friends eyes. They said I took off like I was in a drag race, screaming across the tundra with gear flying off my machine! I don't recall any of this but they are adamant about these details. So anyways, I ended parallel to the bull at about 200yds, turned off my machine and lined up a nice, steady shot. I took a deep breath and squeezed off my .300 Winchester sending 180 grains of bone crushing lead his way. The next thing I heard was a loud "WHACK!" and I see the back end of the moose drop and his front end raise up and follow his rear. As I turned to see my hunting partners in tow to celebrate, not a one was in sight. After a couple of minutes I saw two pull up about 80 yds short of where I was at but looking towards where the moose were. I got on my machine, adrenaline pumping and as happy as a kid in a candy store with $100, I made my way back to where they were parked. They right away asked me where the bull was and I informed them he was down. They looked at me crazy and told me they hadn't heard a shot and thought the bull was somewhere in the brush. So after maneuvering our way over I took them straight to the bull where as everyone knows, the work began. We did notice that he had only one good eye as the other looked like it had been lost fighting with another bull and the heart when taken out was floppy and not a hard muscle as we have seen on all our other moose. Great hunt with Great friends. What a way to start the New Year!
    Josh and the Tank.jpgMatt and Josh.jpg

Congrats! Sounds like a good first winter hunt.

I know I prefer winter hunting over summer hunting. While I really enjoy hiking around and the scenery in the fall during the "normal" hunting season, it is hard to beat the benefits of winter.

1.) So much easier to keep the meat clean.
    2.) Meat cools quickly so no worries about spoiling.
    3.) You can slide the pieces on sleds or drag on it's hide over the snow with no need to pack it in most cases.
    4.) You can rinse off hands/knives/etc... with the snow right where you are and don't need to go find a creek somewhere later on.

Congrats! Nice bull - well done!

nice, thanks for sharing
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Sooooooooooooo much of this story has been left out.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Sooooooooooooo much of this story has been left out.
    Rumor has it the night in the cabin was more story telling worth than the hunt. Gotta include the good parts!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yeah, and how someone lost their rolex watch in a drunken bet!

Thanks guys....as to the real details to what happened when we weren't hunting....that will have to come from the Great White Hunter...(sarcasm!) Alaskan22...he may not like me telling the story with what really happened. Alaskan??? quick pro-quo?

I'm not worried about "the story"...i'm worried about how you'd tell it. "Mr. Throttle to the handlebars"...hahahaha

It will definitely be a hunt "experience" that few will forget. Good times with good friends!!!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Sounds like one heck of a hunt or pre-hunt?! Nice bull regardless!